Health and Fitness

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am

Looking again at your chart, your rate of loss looks remarkably steady. 1.95lbs/wk for what looks like the entire duration. No significant plateaus. Did you vary your intake at all or just pick a number and stick with it?

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:14 am

Congrats c2i, way to go :thumb:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:42 am

Looking again at your chart, your rate of loss looks remarkably steady. 1.95lbs/wk for what looks like the entire duration. No significant plateaus. Did you vary your intake at all or just pick a number and stick with it?
I had some small change from time to time, but yeah... 2 lbs a week was pretty much the rate throughout. It'd get up to about 2.2 and down to about 1.9 from time to time, but by and large it was pretty steady. I definitely varied my intake. I set MFP numbers to 1 lbs per week, and I'd try to stay as far below that as I could. I would essentially be disappointed if I hit that number. That was the mind set that worked for me. Also, at the beginning, I was eating back exercise calories. Around Christmas or so, I realized that wasn't sustainable moving forward, especially when I had a kid and stopped exercising (I've been to the gym once since early April... woof).

The other thing too is that my intake naturally went down. I think it was a mindset thing again. If I was hungry, I'd eat. If I wasn't hungry, I typically wouldn't eat. As I got smaller, I found that I wasn't as hungry as often.

I can go back and look it up, but I think starting out my goal intake was ~2300 cals a day. It's currently at just under 2000, and I think that's about where I'll settle in, 2000 calories a day.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 am

That's encouraging, thanks. As I lose weight my BMR falls as does the rate of calories burned doing cardio. There is a natural regression that happens if you don't monitor and modify calories in.

For exercise calories I generally allow myself to intake half of what I output. Typically with my 1900 intake goal and 30 minutes of running which gets me 700 calories of burn I allow myself around 2200 intake on that day. So far it's been going well as I've been losing about 2.5lbs a week for over 8 weeks now.

Another thing I've been doing is allowing myself, if desired, to eat up to my BMR of 2700 on weekend days. I have a theory that this kind of prods your metabolism into thinking that you're not doing calorie restriction all the time and opens it up to burn more (this could be complete horseshit). I don't do it both days every weekend, but if I'm going to a cookout or something I'll run the calories up. Basically, during the week I plan my meals and on the weekends I track after the fact.

I have a feeling once I get down to about 250 I'm going to have to be stricter on the weekends, hoping to hit that number before the 6.6k.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 am

Yeah. I typically am at ~1700 on weekdays, closer to 2000 on weekends. But weekdays I'm having the same thing for breakfast and lunch every single day, and then a light/quick meal for dinner. On weekends, I'm cooking bigger meals or going out, so it's a much different mindset on weekdays and weekends.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Well... I hit my ultimate weight goal over the weekend. 200 pounds on the nose (I saw 199.8 on the scale. First time I've seen a 1 in the hundreds place since 7th... 8th grade?).

Well, now to lose maybe 5-10 more and then maintain. It's weird that I don't feel much different. Skullman, maybe you can attest to this? I see the difference, I know I'm wearing smaller clothes, I know that my internals are probably better off, but I don't feel any different. Maybe it'll take some time? Maybe I just don't remember what being fat felt like? I dunno.

Either way, I'm happy with where I'm at. I wish I took progress pics from start to finish to see the transformation, but for now these are all I had to put together for "progress":

https://imgur.com/a/wV6LKdG
Great work! I honestly don't even remember what being 385lbs felt like. I guess that's a good thing. I only see myself as the person I am now which is healthy/lean.

Maintaining can be difficult. It's hard to switch out of the cut back mode without going into OMG I can eat anything I want mode, but I've been holding steady for the most part for a year plus now between 180 and 185. There are some dips here and there, but I have found a good place.

The one big thing I notice is how much energy I have now. I'm up early. I want to get stuff done early. I can't sit still for long periods of time. I have so much energy I always want to be doing something. I think that is the biggest thing where as when I was heavy walking up a flight of steps took effort and I just wanted to sit around.

I also enjoy pushing myself with things now psychically. Run harder/faster. Be more active. Do things I couldn't do at my heavier weight. Lift heavy things etc.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:26 pm

I wonder about this a lot...

Sometimes I'm thinking about even raw foods... ignoring the possible differences between the same food, like does a super ripe peach have more calories than an under ripe one? But more about how far off some of those numbers might be.
A spicy tofu sandwich sounds too terrible to even contemplate.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 pm

My maintain calorie weight right now is about 2250. With the cardio and other workouts I do... I can easily maintain right now 2500ish calories a day. Now during the week I rarely hit that much, but the weekends even it out... and I've been able to be consistent for a year or so now.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:48 pm

That's awesome c2i. You should submit those to r/pics, Progress Pics are instant karma machines now. Make sure you include a story about your autistic uncle dying and promising him you would get healthy beforehand.

Silentom

Health and Fitness

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 pm

let it go bruh

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:52 pm

:lol:

I agree with dodint, that weight loss chart is beautiful. That's about as consistent as I've ever seen.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:45 pm

:lol: Thanks shad, but everyone knows you can't die from autism...

I like consistency, so I guess that makes sense that I wanted to see a linear progression.

AuthorTony

Health and Fitness

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Since my ankle is too screwed up to jog let alone run, I'm planning to buy a mountain bike. I haven't really ridden since I was a teenager, but they say you never forget so...

Are there any cyclists here? I'm trying to decide what size bike to buy. I'm short (maybe 5'6", probably more like 5'5 1/2"). The 24" bikes say they're good up to 5'6" but is that accurate?

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Not to be that guy, but find an LBS and go sit on them. It really is the best way.

AuthorTony

Health and Fitness

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:33 pm

Yeah, that would make sense. ;)

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Wal-mart would probably work too. I assume they still have bikes.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:48 am

I've been trying a few different new things with this weight loss campaign. Instead of one long overarching goal I'm doing 'phases'. July 31st was the end of my first phase, I fell short of my goal by 4 pounds because of a terrible start, but I lost 22lbs in 65 days to get down to 276. The Lemieux Run is in exactly 75 days, going to try to get down to 255 for that, I weighed 270 when I ran it last year so getting 15 pounds down from that ought to help improve my time. Beyond that I'd like to end the year at my goal of 240.

Once I get to 240 I'm not sure what I want to do. I was 230 when I was in the military, might try to get down to that. Or start weight training again and focus more on BF% loss while adding muscle. We'll see.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Ran the super hero 5k today downtown. Finished in 27:59...not awful.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm

dodint, any interest in intermittent fasting? My one friend did it for a while and lowered his body fat% a fair bit...I don't have particulars, but I know it was a positive experience...

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Intermittent fasting isn't any different than other calorie cutting methods. You just eat all your food in a certain time window. Works for some not others but no magic to it by any means as far as losing weight or cutting down body fat %=

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:42 pm

What he said. Fasting can feel good from a 'cleansing' standpoint but does not do anything for me beyond that.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Got it. I don't read, so I just say things...:lol:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Health and Fitness

Postby LITT » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 am

my wife found a used peloton we are purchasing. the guy lives in harrisburg so we are meeting at breezewood to do the exchange. hope i dont get murdered.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 am

Oh, Breezewood.... I think that town might have the highest business to people that actually live there ratio in the state.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:50 am

Source of the post Are there any cyclists here? I'm trying to decide what size bike to buy. I'm short (maybe 5'6", probably more like 5'5 1/2"). The 24" bikes say they're good up to 5'6" but is that accurate?
Perhaps I'm a bit late, but go to any bike specialty shop and they'll fit you. Not only is seat height important, but location of handle bars for reach. You want to feel comfortable riding the bike.

If you don't want to go that route, there are two main things to know for seat height:

1. With the seat properly adjusted, your knees should be slightly bent at the pedals' lowest point.

2. When straddling the bike, make sure your junk isn't hitting the seat bar. For obvious reasons.