Health and Fitness

obhave

Health and Fitness

Postby obhave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Signed up for my first triathlon! It unfortunately means I have to start running again... I did finally find a pair of running shoes that fit my very narrow feet, so that is a good start.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 pm

I was kicking around doing the Pittsburgh half, but I dragged my feet too long. I don't know how I feel about paying $150 minimum for a run. I did it for Rock And Roll Vegas, but it was the same case where I think I signed up too late.

Overpaying twice for a race in six months - especially that much - is something I'd prefer not to do.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 am

Signed up for my first triathlon! It unfortunately means I have to start running again... I did finally find a pair of running shoes that fit my very narrow feet, so that is a good start.
You're not doing a full triathlon, are you? :shock: I've thought about doing one of those half triathlon deals, or the minis. Good for you!

obhave

Health and Fitness

Postby obhave » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 am

You're not doing a full triathlon, are you? :shock: I've thought about doing one of those half triathlon deals, or the minis. Good for you!
Just a sprint! So 0.25miles swimming, 10miles biking, and a 5K.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am

Nice! Yes, that's the distance I've thought about doing. Just about right for me, lol.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Was going to throw some money at MyFitnessPal as a sort of thank you even though I don't have a use for the advanced features. Turns out it's a subscription service. $10/mo or $50/year.

Yeah, no, that's okay. Thanks.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't think it's worth paying for to be honest.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:19 pm

I just wanted to reward them for being awesome. Maybe I'll do a month and then not renew.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Going to do the Pirates 5k again this year. One month from today. I hate running.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 pm

I hate the Pirates. F them.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:27 pm

I just wanted to reward them for being awesome. Maybe I'll do a month and then not renew.
That's fair.. i think I'm up to almost 900 days of consecutive days using the app so I should throw some $$$ their way as well haha.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:28 pm

It amazes me you never skip because I know you don't record everyday, from what you've said. I've lost some good streaks because I would go all Sunday long without touching my phone.

I'm at 10 days again. :(

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm at a 175 day streak at the moment.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:31 pm

It irritates me when I can't 100% match up food I've eaten with what's in the MFP database. It's easy with a lot of premade items and my own recipes, but eating out or eating with family is just a guessing game. It drives me nuts.

I have a digital scale at home, but can't really take that out places...:lol:

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:33 pm

It amazes me you never skip because I know you don't record everyday, from what you've said. I've lost some good streaks because I would go all Sunday long without touching my phone.

I'm at 10 days again. :(
I always at least open the app cause my phone will remind me if I don't haha. If it wasn't for that.. my streak would be long gone. I went from like Mid Nov to Early jan not logging one thing of food. I also gained weight during that period ha. Since then I've gotten back to logging every day even if I don't close my diary and I'm back to my old weight(plus 2lbs or so). I even logged the piece of cheescake my g/f will bring home from the cheesecake factory tonight even though it put me over my calories for the day even counting my workout earlier.

Also getting the garmin watch for christmas and having it sync to MFP is a big motivator for me to use it even if the calorie burn it gives me is on the high side.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 pm

I still want a smart scale that will send my weight to MFP every day. As of now I record it to GCalendar and then every so often cross post it to MFP. But every single smart scale on the internet is plagued with horrible reviews.

My Garmin does sync over, and I think the calorie burn is fairly accurate. Historically I've burned 200/cal a mile for the most part. I need to get back to being able to do 7 mile training runs. ;)

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:37 pm

It irritates me when I can't 100% match up food I've eaten with what's in the MFP database. It's easy with a lot of premade items and my own recipes, but eating out or eating with family is just a guessing game. It drives me nuts.

I have a digital scale at home, but can't really take that out places...:lol:
The MFP database can be a shitshow with user entries in there. I try to do my own recipes if I can or scan things(even if they aren't always 100% accurate either). I have some wiggle room to play with, and I do use a food scale at home.

When I go out... I take my best guess and then add an extra 300 calories and just quick add it and call it a day. Sometimes I can find comparables in the DB or via the restaurants website, but normally I don't care all that much cause I don't eat out alot these days.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:40 pm

I still want a smart scale that will send my weight to MFP every day. As of now I record it to GCalendar and then every so often cross post it to MFP. But every single smart scale on the internet is plagued with horrible reviews.

My Garmin does sync over, and I think the calorie burn is fairly accurate. Historically I've burned 200/cal a mile for the most part. I need to get back to being able to do 7 mile training runs. ;)
My isn't way off, but I think it's a bit high. It gives me 550-650 calories burned when I do 43 minutes on the bike in the morning(usually end up between 16 and 17miles). Now I do a pretty high intensity and resistance but I still think it's a bit high. I'm about 186 right now weight wise at 6ft.

When I work at home like the last few weeks since I don't walk around like I do at work I try to get up every hour and do jumping jacks or go up and down a few flights of stairs etc to just not sit all day long.

I log my weight in Libra(android app) daily to watch trends. It works for me.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm going to start climbing the 11 floors to my office again. I did it for a while last winter but trailed off for some reason. If anything it will help build the legs up for hockey.

I find the precision of recording calories isn't as important as the act of recording them. Sometimes late at night I'll record something and then put it back into the pantry once I see how it hurts my total. That's where my wins are. But yeah, the scanner is fantastic, can't believe I went a year or so not knowing it was there.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:45 pm

I find the precision of recording calories isn't as important as the act of recording them. Sometimes late at night I'll record something and then put it back into the pantry once I see how it hurts my total. That's where my wins are. But yeah, the scanner is fantastic, can't believe I went a year or so not knowing it was there.
:thumb: Agreed.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Planning on getting a HR monitor/fitness watch type thingy. You guys all have Garmin stuff? Like them? Dislike them? Any fitbitters in here?

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 pm

I wore a fitbit flex for a couple of years. I found it annoying and creepy by the end of it. Sold it and never looked back.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Planning on getting a HR monitor/fitness watch type thingy. You guys all have Garmin stuff? Like them? Dislike them? Any fitbitters in here?
I have a Garmin Forerunner 235 that I absolutely love:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-03717 ... B0160BC1FO

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Love my Garmin, a Forerunner 605 which is starting to show its age but still doing what needs done. I'd like to upgrade to a model that has wifi built in, not sure if they do or not.

I also have a Garmin 405 410 sitting around that I have no use for. Not sure how long the battery still holds a charge. If anyone wants it they can have it. I bought it in 2010 or so.
Last edited by dodint on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I have a garmin VivoActive HR. Got it at Christmas. I like it. It works for what I need it to. I can track my indoor biking as well as outdoor stuff. I mainly got it for the bike stuff. If I ever golf or swim it will do that too. Does HR monitoring, sleep monitoring. Will allow me to see text messages too though I turned that off. I don't take the burn it gives me as gospel, but it's pretty close for the most part. The battery will last a week easily without recharging. It syncs to MFP. I wear it everyday and i'm not sure what I would do without it now.

I like the Garmin app alot on my phone too in general. Displays easy to use info and is helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-v%C3%ADvo ... B01BKUB6BA

G/F has a fitbit and she seems happy with it as well. She has one of the more basic models I think.