Health and Fitness

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat May 16, 2020 7:53 pm

23:15 this morning, first mile in 6:41, and a total of 4 miles in 30:10. If I ever get back under 200 lbs. I might be back in business.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:26 am

23:15 this morning, first mile in 6:41, and a total of 4 miles in 30:10. If I ever get back under 200 lbs. I might be back in business.
Nice! That's fast

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:29 am

I am almost two months into this strength training regimen. At 37, I've never done serious weight lifting, so it has been pretty amazing to see all of the novice gains I've gotten already...still a long way to go. Hardest thing is the diet piece...I didn't realize how *few* carbs I eat until I really needed to eat more.

Today, I decided to mix things up and try Hungarian split squats for the first time. I'm dead.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:53 pm

I woke up at 330 this morning with restless legs. Holy sht, that was awful. Couldn't go back to sleep until 5, and that was after I stretched, walked around for a half hour, and took a couple Aleve.

I learned that birds start chirping at astronomical twilight (AKA 4 AM) :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:04 pm

I am admittedly terrible at “training” for running. I like going balls out to get that **** over and done with and moving out with the rest of my day. Aside from my time in the Navy (where we were probably actually training for running but it was disguised as punishment) this has always resulted in good progress that leads to exhaustion and injuries that lay me up just long enough to put weight on and make it feel like I’m starting from scratch.

In an effort to combat my own personal Groundhog’s Day, I decided to follow a Hal Higdon running plan and downloaded iSmoothRun, which allows you to set pace goals where your phone will tell you to speed up or slow down. This has allowed me to build up endurance and speed while also not killing myself on a daily basis, which is apparently the point of training.

Decided to give myself a little test today and ran a 5k in 22 flat with a negative split and it honestly felt easy; could have gone faster or longer without much issue. Wish I hadn’t trained like an idiot for so long.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 am

Only put on 5lbs in the two months living with my mother in law and her awesome homemade cooking. I'll take it. Time to get back to work.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm

I've managed to keep up the weight loss, albeit maybe at a slower rate. I'm down to around the 225 mark. Still trying to ride my exercise bike at least 30 minutes each day.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm

I've managed to keep up the weight loss, albeit maybe at a slower rate. I'm down to around the 225 mark. Still trying to ride my exercise bike at least 30 minutes each day.
:thumb: :thumb: :fist:

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Great job Shyster!

I am 2 1/2 months into a regular lifting plan, longer than I've ever done before.

As of right now, I am 158 and 5'10", but I am the very definition of "skinny fat". I look good in clothes, but my body fat is definitely higher than I want it to be, probably close to 20%. I've been doing a lot of reading on Reddit and elsewhere, and I think I am going to start a cut. My goal is to get my BF down to 10-12% through a calorie deficit. I am still lifting to recomp muscle mass and running as well.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:52 pm

I am a little over a week into this cut, and I'm already noticing positive changes. My calorie goal has been 1600 every day, but I have been doing a ton of walking and running (about 30 miles of running since last Monday and over 100,000 steps) so I am able to add a good amount of calories.

I weighed myself after my run this morning, and I was at 152.5. I decided to try the body fat caliper for the first time in a week, and I am definitely noticing considerable difference. If I had to guess, it's down to about 15% already. Definitely makes it easier to stick with it.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:35 pm

so after years of ignoring the dull, annoying pain and a month of going to therapy and having no improvement, I got the news that I didn't want to hear: I more than likely need my shoulder scoped.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007206.htm

The good news is that they think it's only inflammed tissue and a possible bone spur, so it's not the original rotator cuff fear that I had. I still have strength in it, so the docs are thinking that they just need to do some cleanup. I can still shoot a puck and can still hit a golf ball with no loss of strength, so that's good. But anything overhand like reaching or throwing a ball overhand takes some effort and doesn't feel too good. But until I go in for an MRI, that's nothing more than an unofficial opinion from a doctor. The bad news, which I guess might not be too bad in the big picture, is that it's six weeks in a sling and anywhere from 4-6 months until I regain full strength.

My issue, and I know this is just me being stubborn, is that I don't want to deal with the downtime. Lucky for me, I'm in a desk job so I'd probably be out of work for maybe a week tops with another month+ of light duty. But I'm also trying to time it around helping my mom move, golf season and curling season. Thanks to the 'rona, they let us carry any unused PTO from last year over, so I also have two additional weeks of PTO ready to go in case I need to take some extra time.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Can you put it off until fall/winter? We're all going to be locked in our self-quarantine caves anyway.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:53 am

That's what I'm looking to do. Hopefully gonna hold out until November, which would put me in a sling for the two holidays but will also put me back at full strength between March and May. If I knew my mom was moving sooner, I'd even push for October.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Weighed myself after my run this morning (and before breakfast, of course). Actually hit 151.0 on the scale...man, I have not been at this low a number in a long time. Still trying to get rid of the last of this belly fat, but man I am getting tantalizingly close to having something akin to a six pack.

On another note, Garmin Connect has been completely down since last night. And when I say down, I mean their retail sites, syncing, EVERYTHING.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:55 pm

Nice!

My scale wouldn't sync this morning, I wonder if it's related.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Weighed myself after my run this morning (and before breakfast, of course). Actually hit 151.0 on the scale...man, I have not been at this low a number in a long time. Still trying to get rid of the last of this belly fat, but man I am getting tantalizingly close to having something akin to a six pack.

On another note, Garmin Connect has been completely down since last night. And when I say down, I mean their retail sites, syncing, EVERYTHING.
Yeah I noticed that this morning when I went to try and sync my ride/workout. Good thing is the watch stores all of that, so once they are back up it will just sync over.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Nice job, shad-a-thon...

I actually have just been getting back into working out again. I did pretty well when this **** all started...looking good, feeling good. And then I had some pretty crazy weekends with some of my closer friends and just kind of got into this funk in terms of being active...then cases started to rise again and mentally it took a lot out of me because I saw my summer slipping away...so I was really unmotivated to do much...but over the last week, I've been in it again and working my way back to where I need to be...so, good timing for your success story for me, selfishly haha :thumb:

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:36 pm

Nice!

My scale wouldn't sync this morning, I wonder if it's related.
Thanks!

Yup... It sounds like they suffered a major cybersecurity breach. Ransomware is the rumor.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Nice job, shad-a-thon...

I actually have just been getting back into working out again. I did pretty well when this **** all started...looking good, feeling good. And then I had some pretty crazy weekends with some of my closer friends and just kind of got into this funk in terms of being active...then cases started to rise again and mentally it took a lot out of me because I saw my summer slipping away...so I was really unmotivated to do much...but over the last week, I've been in it again and working my way back to where I need to be...so, good timing for your success story for me, selfishly haha :thumb:
Honestly the hardest part is making it a habit. After four months I think I'm finally there, or close to it

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, but did you fellas that have to go to the eye doctor know there's an alternative now to getting your eyes dilated? It's a camera that shines a bright light in your eye and snaps a pic that the doc looks at afterward. It cost me $34 out of pocket, but it was well worth not having to deal with the blurriness and headaches that come with the eye dilation.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:18 pm

I've been getting those camera snaps for years. They're additionally useful because the doc can compare images over years to see if there is any macular degeneration going on. My eye doctor also has a machine than scans the cornea and then tells you what your prescription should be.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:22 pm

I have been to an eye doctor once in the last 25 years or so, but that's cool to know anyhow...

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm

I have been to an eye doctor once in the last 25 years or so, but that's cool to know anyhow...
[In Yoda voice] You will be. You will be...

I was just at the optometrist a couple of weeks ago, and I need to make an appointment on Monday to go in next week some time to pick up my new glasses (they're not accepting walk-ins right now, even for a simple pickup). This year was the first time my doctor broached the option of progressive bifocals. Nothing says "Damn, you old" like a pair of bifocals.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:04 pm

Good to see other Garmin users on here. I tried to log in yesterday and was starting to think it was something I did. I somehow ended up with a page with a DNS error, so I figured that one was out of my hands.

Semi-related to that, I don't know what happened but the vibrating issue that I had with my watch seemed like it has cleared up. Since I'm too lazy to go back in find the post, my Garmin went several months without being charged because I couldn't find the charger and was too cheap to pay for another one.

When it powered up, it would vibrate with every step that I took towards my goal but not when I was running. That was sometime around December where I lost it and found it sometime after the quarantine started in March. Tried everything from turning off the daily goals, updating the watch, removing the stored bluetooth connection from my phone, and factory reset; basically disowning all association from the watch to the phone. This was something recommended from Garmin itself, although not sure how the bluetooth connection would effect the vibration settings. All of that never worked, so I gave up and left the watch for dead and was all set to buy a Suunto 7 that was listed on ebay for half of what it usually tags for. In the meantime I was gonna reset my watch, list it on eBay and take whatever I could get for it.

So fast forward to this week. I charged it overnight, threw it on and went into the office with intentions of doing a little more troubleshooting before listing it. After doing some walking around, I realized it no longer did the vibrating as I walked around thing that it was doing, so my Garmin is sticking around for a little bit longer.

TL&DR: the "steps towards goal" vibrating thing that I couldn't figure out last year magically fixed itself.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, but did you fellas that have to go to the eye doctor know there's an alternative now to getting your eyes dilated? It's a camera that shines a bright light in your eye and snaps a pic that the doc looks at afterward. It cost me $34 out of pocket, but it was well worth not having to deal with the blurriness and headaches that come with the eye dilation.
My doc did this for me last month. Said it wasn't Standard of Care but because of COVID he could get away with only doing it that way.