Health and Fitness

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks, fellas! What calorie deficit could I be looking at per day to start off? 500 or so? I've always heard the jabber about not cutting back too hard or your metabolism will slow down but I don't if there's any truth to that.
MFP makes it pretty easy. Plug in your stats and how much you want to lose and then go from there. I currently have mine in at 1 pound a week which is a 500 calorie daily deficit. The reason I have that is because that's my absolute highest I want to be in a day (it's about 2300 calories for my current height and weight). I typically end my day between 1600 and 1800 though, so that plus exercise has me at ~2 pound per week clip.

Starvation mode is a myth. Make sure you're eating enough to get your nutrients and then move on. I think for a man it's recommended to not go below 1600 calories per day. Every so often I end up below that, but I've made the conscious effort to not eat if I'm not hungry, so I don't particularly mind the days I end up 1400 or so. It's largely about balance. If I have 2500 calories one day, I can have 1500 the next, and boom! I'm at a 2000 calorie per day clip.

The first few weeks for me were all about discovery and understanding of my current (at the time) lifestyle. In fact the first week, I changed nothing in my diet just so I could see the answers to these questions: What was I putting in my mouth? How many calories was that? Did I really need all of that or could I have eaten half of it and still been satisfied? Was there a better alternative available? I was really shocked at the calories in things that I thought would be lower calories and vice versa. Once you have a better handle on what you're doing right now, you'll know how to go about changing it.
@@count2infinity covered it all pretty much. 500 calories a day is 1lb per week loss. I think aiming for 2lbs a week is aggressive unless you are reallllly big. I did 2lbs a week at first, but I started at 385. In general as a male you don't want to be under 1500 calories a day. Plug in your stats to MFP and see what it spits out at you. Find something that is attainable. Again you could have days where you are under 1500 or whatever but as long as you balance them out with some higher days it all evens out. Much like exercise its finding the balance that works for you. It doesn't have to be difficult it really doesn't. I would set a calorie number.. log and plot data points for at least 4-6 weeks.. then look at what you have lost and re-evaluate from there. No one person is exactly the same, but it does come down to calories and and calories out.

columbia

Health and Fitness

Postby columbia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 pm

My caloric intake is pretty well under control.

Some yogurt and berries (if I have anything) for breakfast
A completely normal lunch, but always erring on the side of healthy and with 2-3 vegetables + fruit for dessert
Basically a snack for dinner: hummus/pita or cheese & crackers (whole wheat) or a small arugula salad

I'm not losing any more weight, but I'm certainly not gaining any back and I never feel too hungry

Silentom

Health and Fitness

Postby Silentom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

I think I want to try and get into shape this year. Not worried so much about weight loss as I am in overall stamina. I tire way too easily.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 pm

My caloric intake is pretty well under control.

Some yogurt and berries (if I have anything) for breakfast
A completely normal lunch, but always erring on the side of healthy and with 2-3 vegetables + fruit for dessert
Basically a snack for dinner: hummus/pita or cheese & crackers (whole wheat) or a small arugula salad

I'm not losing any more weight, but I'm certainly not gaining any back and I never feel too hungry
That sounds so boring to me lol, but it works for you ..and basically goes to show you have to find what works for you and what keeps you full.

I'm not trying to lose any more weight either. I probably put on about 5-7lbs since the holidays started(early November). It will come back off. Life happens. Now that the holidays are over I get back to where I was before and all is good.

columbia

Health and Fitness

Postby columbia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm

That’s M-F....just needed to establish a specific routine.

I eat well on the weekends. ;)

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 pm

That’s M-F....just needed to establish a specific routine.

I eat well on the weekends. ;)
:thumb: :thumb:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm

My current treadmill that I snagged off Craigslist definitely has a belt issue. Belt is frayed and sometimes feels like it's slipping. I could get it fixed, belt is about $100-150 but I could get it fixed and have something else go wrong with it. Not sure if the motor is going since it makes noise when I crank up the speed, but that could be related to the frayed belt. As much as I hate to do it, my thought is to chalk up the loss and go for something else.

Thoughts on this treadmill? https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Track-C-7 ... track+c700

It's selling for 37% off today, has free assembly, and even with an extended warranty I'd still be $200 under what it normally tags for.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:11 pm

That does look nice at that price point and with assembly.

CBear3

Health and Fitness

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:24 pm

My wife drools over the Peloton commercials. Then I remind her it costs more than my Cooper did.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Those peletons seem nice but overkill.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 pm

I kicked around trying to find a used or a returned one, thinking I could get a deal. I think the cheapest one I could find was $1500 but had video issues, which kind of defeats of buying a used one if you're gonna sink additional money into it. If I remember correctly, aren't they $2k for the bike and like $40/mo for the classes?

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm

That does look nice at that price point and with assembly.
I tried to get my sister to talk me out of it since I still have a trip to SC that I have to pay for, but it didn't work out.

After tax, the 4 yr warranty, and adding on $100 in gift cards from Xmas, and another $28 going back onto my Prime card thanks to 5% rewards, it was a little over $500. Another small perk was scheduling delivery on a Friday that I'm off and assembly for the following day, which meant saving at least one day of PTO.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Nicely done.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Since I started exercising and whatnot, I've had a goal to run a 5k in under 30 minutes. I was feeling really good today when I was running, so I thought today was the day. Got to 3 miles and was at just under 28 minutes. I thought "this is it... I'm going to make it", and then my left shoe came untied. Sonuva... I tried to finish it out, but at 3.02 I realized that I was going to bite it if I kept going, so I stopped... I'll get it next time. I'm coming for you 5k.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Since I started exercising and whatnot, I've had a goal to run a 5k in under 30 minutes. I was feeling really good today when I was running, so I thought today was the day. Got to 3 miles and was at just under 28 minutes. I thought "this is it... I'm going to make it", and then my left shoe came untied. Sonuva... I tried to finish it out, but at 3.02 I realized that I was going to bite it if I kept going, so I stopped... I'll get it next time. I'm coming for you 5k.
Dude, considering how recently you started, that's really awesome. Running a 5k under 30 minutes takes a considerable amount of effort and push, especially if you haven't been doing it that long. Great work.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks... I haven't actually done timed/measured running since high school, but it's largely like riding a bike. Just need to do it and get the endurance back up. Once I hit the sub 30 minute 5K, I'll shoot for 25 minutes and at that point I'll be very satisfied with my progress. Going from 37 minutes for a 5k down to (almost) 30 minutes was pretty easy, I think getting it down to 25 is going to be a struggle, but I'm up for the challenge.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:10 am

30:00 is where I want to get back to. I'm sure my time right now is nowhere near that. Over the summer I was running the most that I had run in awhile. Was down around 27:00 when I ran a 5k in Baltimore last summer, which kinda surprised me since it was my first real run after I injured my foot the month before.

Problem is, I don't think I've run a full mile since I did my half in Vegas about a month and a half ago. Was chafed for a few days and then went back home the following week for Thanksgiving. Since then, I attempted a run a week after getting sick with what I thought was a chest cold, which eventually was diagnosed as bronchitis. I thought I was gonna die after 10 minutes. Haven't been on a treadmill since.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 am

Welp, I did it. As of this morning, I am no longer "obese"... yinz can refer to me as Dr. "just overweight" c2i. Feels good man.

Silentom

Health and Fitness

Postby Silentom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 am

Fat Mac is best Mac.

Congrats, dude!

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:06 am

Congrats @@count2infinity ! It's a great feeling isn't it! Hard work pays off no doubt.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 am

It's fun... I know it's an arbitrary number, but still. It's nice to cross over that line.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 am

Also a 25 minute 5k is crazy. When I got under 30 minutes(one time) I considered it a victory that I would never attain again haha. Anything around 30 minutes is good enough for me especially since I hate to run.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am

25 minutes is very doable. It's basically in 8min/mi pace which is what I used to run pretty easily up to half-marathon distance. I say that in the context of someone who trained to be a runner late in life and is a big guy.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Crazy was probably a bad word to use ha. For me though.. I guess I could probably do it if I really pushed myself. I just have no desire to.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 pm

I find running to be incredibly boring and therefore try to get it over with as quickly as possible. While in the Navy I could do a 5k in under 20 minutes. I was basically running at full tilt the entire time and would be completely exhausted by the finish. Could keep that pace up for about 6 miles when I needed to. The worst part about running is when you stop for a long period of time and then try to start back up again. After a few years of being a lazy turd I'm at about a 35 minute pace for a 5k now and start hating the entire process about a mile into a run. No idea how distance runners do it.