Health and Fitness

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 am

Nice. Yeah, to tif Louis CK, "God put a bunch of sh*t on the floor for us to eat...eat that." Your stupid face wants donuts, your body wants an apple...
Give me a quality donut over a quality apple any day of the week. :D

Viva la Ben

Health and Fitness

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am

An apple a day! My snacks usually consist of a those cut vegetable packs, or a handful of dry roasted peanuts. I do still eat pizza, and also had a chicken fried steak at Texas Roadhouse a few weeks ago.
I’ve eliminated a lot of the bread and chips. ALDI has some great lunch options.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:02 pm

I think you have struck a good balance VLB. I think that is key. You do not in any way have to give up all the food you like. Moderation is key. I went to Cheesecake Factory Saturday night. I probably put down 4000 to 5000 calories in a sitting. It was no big deal. It was one night. I enjoyed myself. I didn't look at it as bad food. It all tasted great. My weight went up for a day or two because of the salt content and the sheer amount of food.. ...today i was almost right back to where I was weight wise Saturday night prior to going out. People fail because they think they have to cut out every single food they like. They restrict then binge. Find balance and it's really not that hard IMO.

I eat an M&M ice cream sandwich every night at 9pm. It's a nice treat at the end of the day. I know I'm still within my calories and I've balanced out the rest of my day in regards to Protein and the like... so if given the choice at the end of the night I'm eating ice cream every time if all other things are equal.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am

Did the Pirates 5k today(3rd year in a row). Ran it in 26:37, so 8:35/min mile pace. Happy with that. Great weather to run in this morning.

Clock Time -- 33:30

Net Time -- 26:37

Pace -- 8:35

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri May 31, 2019 11:45 am

Went down to race the car over Memorial Day and just felt fat as **** and completely lethargic. Was nice in that I hit that disgust point that kicks me back into gear. I was back up to 288 over the weekend so it's time to get at it again.

I mentioned before that long goals just are not working. And the mid-length goal that I set last time fell short as well. So I'm going to roll with very close distance goals to see if that will help me keep the intensity up. Going to try to get down to 279.9 before I leave for Kanasas in 20 days, then set a new goal when I get back.

I'm going to try to go back into the military as a JAG next year so I need to get back into the neighborhood of 220 to 230 if I'm going to make a real run at that. So I have some practical incentive on top of the health issues. Looking great at my graduation ceremony in May 2020 is also an attractive goal.

I have already been back to treadmill running for a few weeks. Only doing 2mi runs because I'm so heavy and do not want to re-tear my meniscus. I had my fastest run since January yesterday so that was good.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 am

I set a short term goal of losing 8.8 pounds in 24 days and ended up getting there in 11 days. Must have gotten a particularly powerful bump at the beginning of this campaign. I feel really good, I think from just eating better as we're concurrently eating more of a Paleo diet, and my running has been fantastic for some reason. I'm only doing treadmill stuff right now but I ran my fastest 20 minutes since August. I think summer generally is just treating me well.

I signed up for a 5k at the end of this month. It's being held on the auto racing track that I'm racing at in Kansas. I'll start the 5k at 8am and finish in time to get to the drivers meeting at 8:45am. It's a charity run supporting families of children suffering from life-threatening illnesses, I'll wear my cancer-kid-goddaughter shirt I think. Should be fun. Long term goal is to do the Lemieux 6.6k in under 40 minutes this year.

Since I have 13 days left in my short term goal I'm just going to keep controlling my intake and working on my running for the next 13 days. When I get back from Kansas I'll set a new goal on June 25th.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:09 am

@dodint keep up the good work!

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Nice work! Get your sht going!

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:02 pm

This short term goal stuff is pretty great. I ended up plateauing right after I made that last post. It wasn't as discouraging as usual because I still ended up meeting that short term goal in the end. Not a lot of time for hopelessness.

Set a new goal at the beginning of last week when I got back from Kansas. This time I have until July 26th to lose 7 more pounds. Currently I'm ahead of that goal already as well, which is nice. Once that goal is met I'll have a more sizable two month gap to focus on. I'm down 16 pounds from when I started paying attention again in May.

My running is doing really well too. I did my 5k last weekend in 33 minutes, which is slow but a good time for just getting back into it. I'm excited for the Lemieux 6.6k this year.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:01 pm

I cut back on my junk food in the office and drinking. I mean I'll still have 2-3 beers if I'm out somewhere, but generally I've gone from drinking 2-3x a week to maybe twice a month. I didn't think much about the drinking part at first since it was only a few beers for Tuesday, a few at the occasional happy hour, and a few more on the weekend if I go out. But adding that up over the week and it hit me that I was going through almost a 12'er a week. I did go off the diet this weekend though. Met up with friends before going to see the comedy thing at PPG on Saturday and then hit Southern Tier for a fundraiser, but that's the only time I've went back to back on days since I started this diet in mid-March.

The junk food was actually the tougher of the two things to cut out. The group in my hallway are always buying small bags of gummi bears, so it was always real easy to tear through a bag of bears in a day or two. Combine that with the vendors who usually bring in breakfast, and it's real easy to put on 10-15 lbs in a short span.

So when I originally started this diet, I told the doc I couldn't run because I tweaked my knee helping a friend move, which had a lot to do with me putting on the lbs. He wasn't hearing it and basically told me "yeah, but you still need to lose weight. Your body doesn't put things on hold because you are injured." TBH, he was kind of a dick about it, but I think I needed to hear it like that for the message to sink in. He tells me that I need to lose 20 lbs. Can't argue that. I really hadn't done much at this point since I tweaked my knee. My goal was to be down 30 lbs by my birthday. 2.5 lbs/wk isn't crazy and should be attainable since I'm cutting out two of my biggest issues. When my birthday hit last week, I was down 35, which is probably the lowest I've been in about 15 years. I knew I had lost a considerable amount but didn't realize how much until somebody at work pulled me aside and asked how much I dropped and how I dropped it.

When I get home, I'll upload the chart of my weight going up and down and up and down over the last two years. It's basically the definition of rollercoaster dieting, which I know I'm very guilty of doing.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:05 pm

I knew I had lost a considerable amount but didn't realize how much until somebody at work pulled me aside and asked how much I dropped and how I dropped it.
Those are really awesome, affirming moments. Congrats!

For me it's more subtle. I have clothes that fit at various weights and I 'notice' my loss when I fit in a smaller shirt.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:08 pm

I went golfing with some friends from high school this weekend and I haven't seen them in about 3 years... the one guy (who was a groomsman at my wedding) looked at me and goes "where's the rest of ya, fella?" :lol:

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Good stuff all around guys.

I've been happily maintaining around 180 +/- 2lbs or so. Seems to be the sweet spot for me with the amount of activity I do and how much food I like to eat haha.

I just looked in MFP and this is day 1366 of doing this. Didn't seem like it's been that long, but I guess I'm coming up on almost 4 years since I started this in October of 2015.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:31 pm

Man... I haven't logged in MFP in about a year, which means I've been maintaining just over a year now. I got down to 195, but it took conscious effort and work to maintain that. I got back up to 205 +/- 3lbs and have been there for a year. It's a good spot for me. I think at some point I'll get back into working out (did one try and failed after 3 weeks worth), but for now, I'm just enjoying where I'm at.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:07 pm

For me it's more subtle. I have clothes that fit at various weights and I 'notice' my loss when I fit in a smaller shirt.
That's how I knew I was starting to noticeably lose it. There were shirts that I liked to wear that were getting to be snug and others that I just couldn't wear because they weren't comfortable. Where I'm at now, there's probably one or two shirts that might be questionable, but those were ones that I bought a size smaller thinking that my goal was to fit into those specific shirts. At the very least, it's gone from "there's no way that's happening" to "eh, not yet."

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Hah.

I put a shirt on last week and wore it for about 10 minutes. It was fine while I was standing but too tight to sit in for now. So close.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 pm

I feel like I always post an update around 4th of July. This year though things are status quo. I'm maintaining and have been for over a year now. I was at 179 this morning and at 36 am in the best shape of my life.

My wife has lost 45lbs since November since she asked for my help so we are both in great spirits.

Still no food restrictions at all. CICO and that's it. The only foods I avoid are the ones that taste bad to me.
Last edited by skullman80 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Awesome. My wife has always been more fit and healthy, but has bought in to tracking and trying more whole foods with me and I think it has made things easier this go around.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Still no food restrictions at all. CICO and that's it. The only foods I avoid are the ones that taste bad to me.
Enjoy it, because for most people, that stops working in your forties. :|

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Enjoy it, because for most people, that stops working in your forties. :|
Unless I develop a medical condition I'm not worried about it. Everything in moderation. CICO works at all ages people just get lazy and want to blame other reasons.

I'm not saying eat Twinkies all day everyday or anything like that. I think people restrict more than need be though. Again...medical conditions are a different story.

Obviously your caloric needs change when you get older. People tend to think they need the same amount of calories at 25 as they do at 55... when obviously it doesn't work that way. Again though that is on the person. CICO isn't a diet. It's an equation. It works the same for everyone (outside of medical conditions). People think they are special snowflakes when in reality they are lazy and/or eating way more than they think they are. I don't care if you eat salad or other "healthy" foods.. if you eat more calories than you burn you put on weight. If you eat less calories than you burn you lose weight... it's science. It's how things work. People make things way too hard on themselves. If you want to eat a donut .. eat a donut, just not a dozen. If you want some pizza eat a slice or two, but not a whole large in one sitting. No foods are good or bad. Food is food. That's the way I look at it.

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:40 pm

The fact that you haven’t had a significant backslide in 4 years is crazy impressive.

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Anyone ever successfully pop their rib back into place? Any tips?

blackjack68

Health and Fitness

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Anyone ever successfully pop their rib back into place? Any tips?
I have had issues following a car accident and I’ll occasionally sleep on it wrong. Popping it back in requires a firm pressure massaging it back and forth until it goes back in. It’s pretty uncomfortable.

May want to seek professional help and hydrocodone.

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Massage the front or the back?

But yeah... I think there’s a walk in chiro near my office in philly. I’m checking it out tomorrow.

blackjack68

Health and Fitness

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:07 pm

I massage from the front trying to guide it back into the sternum.