Health and Fitness

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:57 pm

I wish I could do that. I'm way too much of a mental case to run without distraction

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:08 pm

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/report- ... /331069478
ST. FRANCISVILLE, La. -- At least 16 people were injured after an obstacle collapsed at the Warrior Dash event in St. Francisville Saturday according to our partners at WBRZ.

Acadian Ambulance spokesperson Justin Cox told WBRZ that 11 people were transported with "a wide range of injuries from minor to serious." He said others were injured but did not need to be transported from the scene.
https://twitter.com/TheWebKevin/status/ ... 5854060545

What's funny is the last one that I did in Ohio while on this obstacle, somebody behind me made the comment that was something to the effect of "what would happen if this thing fell down?"
frankly it was only a matter of time. even if WD has good insurance 16 lawsuits could spell the beginning of the end for them.
Finished a Dash up in Pocono this past weekend and it seemed... I don't know, different. There definitely weren't as many obstacles this year, although that could be a result of the layout around Pocono Raceway. They didn't have a lot of open space around the track for the first two miles. The obstacle that collapsed was nowhere to be found.

I'm not saying any of this was a result of the obstacle crash from 2016, but I'm kinda wondering if the lawsuits/insurance have been a factor in their planning/scheduling.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I've been wanting to do a tough mudder or warrior dash or something with an obstacle course for a while now. I want to test myself ... plus I think it would be fun.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Got my new scale today. Tested it on both tile and my wood flooring; is consistent between those surfaces which was my complaint with the other one. All measurements on all surfaces with various amounts of weight are consistently about 1-2% higher than the old scale. Will be fine moving forward but might see a little bump tomorrow morning that won't fit the trend exactly.

I bought a Certified Reimbursed Garmin Index on Amazon and two months later contacted Garmin directly for a warranty claim; they sent me out a brand new scale with no fuss at all. Very cool. I've been using their Forerunner line of watches for about a decade so I was very happy to see that their customer service is as good as their products.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Their customer service is good. I posted on twitter asking them to point me in the direction of a new watch band since the one for my Fenix snapped mid-run, and they went one better by sending me a new band.

They also called my safety pin looped through the band "inventive". It's the only thing I could do mid-run and I wasn't gonna trust it in my pocket.

CBear3

Health and Fitness

Postby CBear3 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 pm

So, my wife signed up for the Chicago Marathon. Apparently, Chicago is exclusive enough that Charity Entries are even in high demand. Depending on which charity, you either have a "goal" of a $1000 or a commitment. When I joined, I used the same charity as last year, Team World Vision. Mainly because they called it a goal, secondly because if you sponsor a child they double credit your donation.
My wife joined Ronald McDonald house. I just read their FAQ that says if you don't have the $1000 donated by race week, they'll pull your bib. She currently has 2 $25 dollar donations with 25 days to go. :face:

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:45 pm

not sure if this is an option, but are you able to tell them that you'd pay the entry fee if you can't hit the $1k mark? Or is it one of those things where the bibs have a special designation for those who hit their goal? Either Rock n Roll or the Mario 6.6 has that as a designation.

or is this the sponsor that is pulling the bib?

CBear3

Health and Fitness

Postby CBear3 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:54 pm

The sponsor pulls the bib, and you're entry ($200) does not count towards the funds raised.

I'm beyond PO'ed about this.
Mainly because the last six weeks of training are hell on us all, because the 8-10 mile runs during the week have to be done after work so she's basically gone all day and it drives the kiddos wacky. 18-20 on a Saturday morning sucks, but we have the rest of the day to be together at least. This is why I said I'll never do it again and suggested we stick to halves, but she turned around and signed up for a race 8 hours away anyways. :|

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm

That sucks. Ronald McDonald House isn't a really great charity for drumming up support from rando's either.

CBear3

Health and Fitness

Postby CBear3 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:55 pm

That sucks. Ronald McDonald House isn't a really great charity for drumming up support from rando's either.
Always go with the Animal Shelter. Everybody loves a cute dog or cat. And if they don't, make them pay to stay away.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Having a child that has stayed at a hospital for several days made me appreciate them a lot. But agreed, it's not as sexy as FOR THE CURE (note I'm not painting a broad brush there).

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:00 am

So for the last few weeks, I've been going on and off on the raw fruit/vegetable breakfast & lunch thing I've been doing just to note the differences...

The first week I did, I felt great, lost about six pounds or whatever...went off of it, went back on it - felt great again, lot of energy...not a lot of noticeable weight loss, but then again, that's not really the goal as I'm only at like 160 or give or take. This week, was off of it again...fell asleep at my desk yesterday, tired during the day...just bleh...I'm also back up 7 pounds from where I was after week 1.

This is with the normal amount of gym time and boozing time...both during the week and on the weekend...

So, I think I'm ready to commit to the raw fruits and veggies thing for breakfast & lunch on a go-forward basis...the difference is really noteworthy...I know the whole "eat the sh*t that God put on the floor for us" is an obvious play, I'm just surprised by how big of a difference it really makes in how you look and feel...

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 am

so I weighed myself yesterday and the numbers weren't exactly what I thought they would be. To be fair, I ran 2-3x since mid July thanks to the vertigo symptoms that I had.

Looks like I'll have to pick up the pace a little once I get back from vacation. :(

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:32 am

*ignores all that vegetarian **** above*

Me switching my scale at the same time I had a YUGE cheat weekend has put me on a really stubborn plateau. Worst part is I don't actually know what to think about it because I haven't been using the new scale long enough to really get a handle on where I'm at relative to my whole campaign. Very frustrating. But, I'm using this work week in St. Paul as kind of a detox from the weekend and it's going great. The weather is perfect and I'm going to do a four mile run along the Mississippi river tonight.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 pm

So for the last few weeks, I've been going on and off on the raw fruit/vegetable breakfast & lunch thing I've been doing just to note the differences...

The first week I did, I felt great, lost about six pounds or whatever...went off of it, went back on it - felt great again, lot of energy...not a lot of noticeable weight loss, but then again, that's not really the goal as I'm only at like 160 or give or take. This week, was off of it again...fell asleep at my desk yesterday, tired during the day...just bleh...I'm also back up 7 pounds from where I was after week 1.

This is with the normal amount of gym time and boozing time...both during the week and on the weekend...

So, I think I'm ready to commit to the raw fruits and veggies thing for breakfast & lunch on a go-forward basis...the difference is really noteworthy...I know the whole "eat the sh*t that God put on the floor for us" is an obvious play, I'm just surprised by how big of a difference it really makes in how you look and feel...
I would hate my life eating like that.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I rather enjoy it actually. I think these things taste good. Fruit is delicious, in particular. I think cucumbers and tomatoes are delicious. Celery is pretty good, a little hummus helps it. So, I'm all for it. So, starting Monday, I'm back on it...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Health and Fitness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:53 pm

You should have limes for breakfast...after you wash down some tequila...

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Read that as "lines" and was just like "damn, this guy thinks I'm a complete animal...holy ****" haha

Lemon Berry Lobster

Health and Fitness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:11 pm

You'd lose more than 6 pounds if you were railing lines every day...

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:22 pm

I rather enjoy it actually. I think these things taste good. Fruit is delicious, in particular. I think cucumbers and tomatoes are delicious. Celery is pretty good, a little hummus helps it. So, I'm all for it. So, starting Monday, I'm back on it...
So what do you do just carry around a burlap sack full of stuff from the farmers market?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Health and Fitness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:27 pm

So what do you do just carry around a burlap sack full of stuff from the farmers market?
It is called urban foraging...look it up...

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:45 pm

These Koreans have a great produce place like three blocks from my work. Buy a week's worth, keep them in the office...E-Z, P-Z...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Health and Fitness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Is that part of the laundromat?

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Nah...different Koreans...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:49 pm

North?