Health and Fitness

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:43 am

You pretty much nailed what I'm going through. I believe it is related to work. I like what I do and luckily have a great group to work with from the other offices, but I'm back to being a one man team again. So since I'm the only one here, I'm getting things on my plate that I am having to learn or relearn on the fly.

I called my sister for the first one. We are really close and I'll go back to visit her once or twice a month. But I think she was kinda confused at first because I never really brought it up around her since it was more or less self-manageable and was very sporadic. I know I shouldn't look at it as an inconvenience but I guess being on the bad end of it, it's like "aww ****, here it goes again. Who do I call now?"

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:17 am

You pretty much nailed what I'm going through. I believe it is related to work. I like what I do and luckily have a great group to work with from the other offices, but I'm back to being a one man team again. So since I'm the only one here, I'm getting things on my plate that I am having to learn or relearn on the fly.

I called my sister for the first one. We are really close and I'll go back to visit her once or twice a month. But I think she was kinda confused at first because I never really brought it up around her since it was more or less self-manageable and was very sporadic. I know I shouldn't look at it as an inconvenience but I guess being on the bad end of it, it's like "aww ****, here it goes again. Who do I call now?"
The first time it happened to my brother, it was a shock to me because it seemed like everything was going great for him. And it was, except there were internalized pressures that he never discussed and quite frankly, was more than we'd ever discuss in passing anyway. We're not the type of people to discuss our true, deep issues with each other, and even if we did, we don't dive deep into them or anything.

For him, it was a combo of the extra work pressure and not really having close friends/family near by to lean on. Sure he has his wife to talk to, but she has her own stresses and can't always relate. He did seek help from a professional who suggested reaching out to other people he could rely on. Sounds like your sister is one of those people, just know that it may have hit her for a loop at first and wasn't ready to respond. I would keep reaching out to her, maybe even set up a schedule where at the very least you are checking in with her. If you feel that's something she would be willing and able to do.

The work stuff is something separate but could also be managed. You'll probably realize that you need to say "no" more often, and at the very least be very open to your boss about the stresses you are going through. I have a coworker that went through that, not sure if he talked to our boss but definitely sought help from a professional.

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:51 pm

One thing I've found hilariously annoying about Peloton, is that looking at the leadership boards are dumb. There are people that go into a 'low-impact' ride, and push like 250+ score. What's the point of that? Why not just do a real class?

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:15 pm

Anybody have experience with panic attacks and/or treatment? I've had two in the last two weeks and figured it's finally time to see somebody about it.

Previously they were less frequent, like maybe twice a year if I was lucky. But lately they've been knocking the hell out of me and had to call people to basically talk me through it, which really sucks because I feel like I'm inconveniencing others.

I've made no secret that I have an anxiety disorder. I'm on Lexapro and Buspar for anxiety, which I do believe help. I've also found that exercise is very helpful for anxiety. Exercise has been shown to moderate the production of various brain chemicals, including the ones that contribute to anxiety and depression. I try very hard to ride the exercise bike at least 15 minutes per day, and my target is 45 minutes per day.

Talking also certainly helps, and it's great that you have people who can help you with that. You may also want to talk to a phycologist about your panic attacks. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has been shown to be helpful against certain forms of both anxiety and depression, and there are also things you can do like breathing exercises.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:53 pm

I’ve never heard of someone going to a therapist and not feeling better afterwards.

meow

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:56 pm

So I’m in the gym this morning hammering out my leg work out blasting the Rocky IV soundtrack in my ear buds - ya know, like I always do - and I feel this incredible shock feeling at the base of my neck/shoulder. While I am incredibly smart, I am in a very real sense incredibly stupid. So I power through the rest of the workout without much use of my left arm. That was at about 5:30 this morning. Call my chiro at 9 when he opens. He sees me at 10:20. Snap snap snap. I’m right as rain. I love walking out of the chiro feeling like a new man.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:18 pm

I’ve never heard of someone going to a therapist and not feeling better afterwards.
Dashaun, that you?

meow

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:13 pm

Dashaun, that you?
If that’s illegal, then lock me up

RonnieFranchise

Health and Fitness

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:09 pm

In the past I’ve had issues with PVC’s related to work stress. Not necessarily panic attacks but I damn sure, despite knowing it didn’t match the symptoms of a heart attack, thought I was going to die. Doc said, cut stress, get more rest, cut caffeine. Dude, I get stressed, I can’t sleep, I drink caffeine, wash rinse repeat.

I had been in supply chain for 10 years or so but got put on a project where I was responsible for contracts totaling more than half a billion dollars. That’ll do it! Now still with the same company, moved up to management and paid significantly better, but not near that level of fiduciary responsibility.

Weight’s creeping back on. Lost 30 and gained 10 back. Actually find it harder to keep it off when I’m home, and our travel budget’s been eliminated so I’ve been in close proximity to the fridge for 6 months now. Need to force myself back on the wagon.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 am

New recommendation for the pooper camera is 45. Check with your insurance first. Not all have shifted from 50 to 45
I'm right in the window of older than 45 and not quite 50, so I got hit with the bag in the mail right before I went in for my physical last month. Told the doc about it, and said those things aren't exactly accurate since they get false positives and sometimes don't catch everything. They catch most stuff but it's not the best test, not to mention I really didn't want to do the #2 in a bag.

Long short short, I ended up scheduling my poopcam appointment and it took almost 10 weeks to find something available that was local. Booked in early Sept but not going in until mid November. It may have been because it was a routine type and not a "hey, the doc found something so we need you here now" type.
It’s not as bad as people made it out to be.

Work from home on Prep Day and sleep like a baby during the colonoscopy.

Have big lunch after.

See you in 10 years for me. Was a relief since Dad had it.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

So the biggest recommendation that I would make to others is read the **** literature that is sent out beforehand. Because I put the pro into procrastination, I didn't read until less than three days out. I figured I would have one big meal before I do the 24 hr liquid diet. My appointment was on a Monday. Saturday I was going to make a small pizza. Tomatoes are on the list of banned items within the three day window, which I assume is because they are red. Ok, I'll have fruit. It's not red. Wrong. No fruit either. They don't want you to have anything with seeds. I have some keto-related food in the house, that should work. Nope, no high fiber foods. So because I didn't realize what I had in the house, my 24 hr fast turned into a 48 hr fast or maybe even a 60+ hr fast since I really didn't have anything since Friday afternoon and my appt wasn't until Monday.

The prep kit? Bad, but not as bad as I expected. I was always told horror stories about the two gallons bottles that they gave you to prep with. Thankfully that has evolved. I had two six ounce bottles that I needed to knock out. One was the evening before, and the other was the morning of. Slammed it like a can of Red Bull. Slightly salty and was supposedly cranberry flavored, but not as terrible as anticipated. Supposedly they have evolved one step better and the prep kit is now available in tablet form, but the pharmacist said that it wasn't covered by the majority of insurance companies yet.

The day of? Honestly couldn't have gone any smoother. My appt was at 1130 but they told me to show at 1030. I get there at 1020 and take about 10 minutes to do paperwork. In back by 1030, out by 1105.

Went to Roland's for lunch, had the filet tip sandwich and probably could have put down a second one with no problem.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:57 am

This is good to know. I went to my doctor back in 2020 or maybe early 2021 and he said that I still had a few more years before a recommended colonoscopy, and I was 47 at the time. Just turned 49, and I'm four years late for one. Great.

Now I have to find a new doctor (we moved) and start that whole process over.

Strangely, I am looking forward to the cleansing part of it. :lol:

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:06 am

Oh, the cleansing definitely does that. When the doc asked about taking the prep kit, I made the comment about not possibly having an ounce of fluid left in me after round two.

The only thing that wasn't good that day was my blood pressure going in. Was a bit nervous, so my numbers were all sorts of high, and of course that freaks me out a little. Once they did my reading afterwards, I was back down to an even lower than normal 115/75.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:14 pm

Supposedly they have evolved one step better and the prep kit is now available in tablet form, but the pharmacist said that it wasn't covered by the majority of insurance companies yet.
I had my first in my late 20s due to some issues. the prep was so bad (those 2 gallon bottles of thick, disgusting liquid) that I didn't have another for probably 20 years. my PCP finally talked me into it by saying that the prep had gotten better. it was the same one you had. 5 years ago insurance companies weren't paying for that prep either so I just paid the $150 out of pocket. it was worth every penny so I'd probably pay for the tablets too.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:51 pm

The only thing that wasn't good that day was my blood pressure going in. Was a bit nervous, so my numbers were all sorts of high, and of course that freaks me out a little. Once they did my reading afterwards, I was back down to an even lower than normal 115/75.

Doctors call that "white coat hypertension."

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:03 pm

I am generally a pretty fit guy. I was on my feet for over eight hours in the exhibit hall today, mostly stationary (which I'm sure led to what comes next).

I did a little hop to take my pant leg off like I have thousands of times before, and my lower back immediately sent me straight to the floor. Since then, I have tried to stand up straight twice and both times my knees buckled from the pain.

I've never in my life had back pain that sent me to the floor. Praying this is just a weird tweak and not me slipping a disc into my sciatic nerve

MR25

Health and Fitness

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:20 pm

I've had that happen before after long periods of standing. Likely just a bad muscle strain that will go away with rest (speaking from experience).

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:27 pm

Stay hydrated. Those conferences/trade shows make for long days, lots of talking etc.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:30 pm

I've had that happen before after long periods of standing. Likely just a bad muscle strain that will go away with rest (speaking from experience).
Thanks @@MR25... Already getting noticeably better.

DG, yeah, I think because you are standing and not walking it doesn't seem "as bad", but standing that long is more strenuous than it seems. And you definitely get dehydrated too. So much talking.

Ad@m

Health and Fitness

Postby Ad@m » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:03 pm

I've never in my life had back pain that sent me to the floor. Praying this is just a weird tweak and not me slipping a disc into my sciatic nerve
:lol: I immediately thought of this.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:33 pm

5AF is getting old when 'stationary standing' and 'talking a lot' are knocking guys down.

;)

meow

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:40 pm

Not me. I’m in my prime

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Ok Uncle Rico

obhave

Health and Fitness

Postby obhave » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:07 pm

Had a doctor tell me today that if insurance isn't covering something it means it's not really a health issue/ "real thing". Yup. Okay, my dude.

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:26 pm

Just did a 20 minute EDM ride w/Bradley Rose. Set a PR - but was 0% prepared.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:55 pm

So my Pixel 6 asked me if I wanted to turn on Cough and Snore detection. Both parents and my brother all have various forms of sleep apnea, so I enabled it.

When my phone goes into Bedtime mode, it will use the microphone to detect and chart when I snore or cough. Pretty interesting stuff, but I wonder if my wife's snoring (and coughing, as she is still getting over the flu she had last week) is getting picked up by my phone. It says I only coughed once and snored over 13 minutes throughout the night. She goes to bed early (teacher, ugh) and was very asleep when I went to bed, and it did show snoring minutes after I got into bed. So it might pick her noise up as well. He iPhone doesn't track that sort of thing to my knowledge.