Health and Fitness

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:43 am

I've been doing lots of PZ rides lately. Today I decided to do a Kendall metal ride for the first time in a while. 20 minutes.. no big deal right?

I beat the total and average output I did on my 20 minute FTP test on her metal ride. I felt like I was going to die at the end.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu May 26, 2022 7:49 am

I prefer to stack two 20 minute rides and I find most of them harder than a single 30 minute or 45 minute ride. it's like the instructors know they need to work you harder in a shorter period of time.
add to it that you picked Kendall (one of the toughest instructors, IMO) AND it was a Metal Ride (I think she takes joy in making those rides the hardest) and I am not surprised that you crushed your 20 minute PR.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 26, 2022 8:00 am

I have no idea how old the ride I did yesterday was, but there was a hoard of people in the studio doing the ride live with Kendall. Never seen that before and not sure I particularly liked the heavily shadowed faceless bobbing heads filling the mirror as I try to grind out a ride.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 am

I prefer to stack two 20 minute rides and I find most of them harder than a single 30 minute or 45 minute ride. it's like the instructors know they need to work you harder in a shorter period of time.
add to it that you picked Kendall (one of the toughest instructors, IMO) AND it was a Metal Ride (I think she takes joy in making those rides the hardest) and I am not surprised that you crushed your 20 minute PR.
I knew it was going to be tough. I've done her metal rides before, just the first one in a while since I've been focusing on power zone stuff mostly.

I do think that the 20 minute rides like you said though are tougher than the 30 minute ones...they do seem to pack things in those rides since they are on the shorter side. I've 10 minute climb rides that felt harder than 30 minute rides.

In any event Kendall kicking my ass today was exactly what I needed. Needed a change of pace and I got it.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:08 am

I have no idea how old the ride I did yesterday was, but there was a hoard of people in the studio doing the ride live with Kendall. Never seen that before and not sure I particularly liked the heavily shadowed faceless bobbing heads filling the mirror as I try to grind out a ride.
I have never done a ride so old that there were people in the studio. I'm curious if they eventually open things back up and those start happening again. I agree it would seem weird if you haven't had that type of ride before.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu May 26, 2022 8:19 am

I have never done a ride so old that there were people in the studio. I'm curious if they eventually open things back up and those start happening again. I agree it would seem weird if you haven't had that type of ride before.
it's not an "if", it's a "when". both the London and NY studios are saying that they'll open back up this Summer. some (not all) of the older rides I've done have been annoying because the instructor gets easily distracted by the audience. I'll be interested to see how they handle the change. one of my complaints about Apple Fitness is how "canned" their classes seem.
if you go back to Spring 2020 there's over 200 classes that the instructors did from their own homes. :o
https://members.onepeloton.com/collecti ... 5ab72da203

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:06 pm

I'm somehow nearing ride 300 soon. I think I'm at like 292.

Today I did a 30 minute Tabata with olivia then a 10 minute climb with Tunde. Not back to back, one in the morning and one at lunch. In any event I PR'd both, after PR'ing a 30 minute ride earlier this week. I think the Power Zone training stuff is paying off.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:20 am

any ever have a middle ear infection? I'm on day 5ish and while it hasn't gotten worse, I don't know if it's gotten much better.

I got the antibiotic/motrin combo on Sunday and have been popping them every 8 hrs to the minute. If it was just the full feeling in the ear, I wouldn't be as bothered, but it's the nonstop ringing that is driving me crazy.

I did notice this morning that if I open my jaw a specific way that it alleviates some pressure, but it's very brief.

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:35 am

Had one a few months ago. Wrecked me for 3 freaking weeks. Full on pressure, ringing, pain. Had to take two different kinds of antibiotics and steroids.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:37 am

geez, that sucks. Glad that you're past it. Any remaining effects from it?

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:01 pm

No major remaining effects. It took awhile to full clear and messed with my equilibrium. I hadn't had an ear infection in ages, and I'd rather not have another one.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:56 pm

That's my biggest fear, that it would mess with my equilibrium. I've been admittedly very lazy since my shoulder surgery, so I was looking to start running regularly again now that my back issues have cleared. Nah, not this week.

My equilibrium hasn't been too messed up, but there have been a few "whoa, what was that" moments. Mine has been more migraines, the damn ringing, and the full feeling in the ear. Even going out to the driving range for lunch, I was 3/4 of the way through the bucket and had to take a bit of a break because I felt off.

I'll be so glad when this clears. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:09 pm

The pressure was it for me. I couldn't sleep with it either. Would feel like my head was going to explode for a week+.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:24 pm

Bucket list activity of participating in the AJC Peachtree Road Race in person - CHECK!
I’ve done the PRR virtually the last 2 years but I wanted to “actually do it” just once. Thank god I never have to do this again!
For me, the actual walking wasn’t too awful but it’s all the “extra” walking, especially afterwards. You walk into the park, pick up your shirt and then find somewhere to collapse.
Afterwards, you’ve got to walk back to the Midtown MARTA station to get home. The race may be 6.2 miles but with all the extra, I’ve walked 9 miles today.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:36 pm

Nice!

That's possibly the nicest event shirt I have ever seen. :lol:

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:43 pm

Yeah that is some nice swag. Well done!

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:28 am

Good work!

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:15 am

Nice!

That's possibly the nicest event shirt I have ever seen. :lol:
I think it's the first year they've done a "performance" shirt. every other year it's been just a basic Tshirt.
the bad part about that is that the sizing is slightly different and makes this a tad smaller than normal.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:04 pm

Kudos for running/walking any distance in Atlanta in July. :shock:

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:51 pm

I've been wearing a Fitbit for about 15 months or so, mostly to keep track of my weight (with a Fitbit scale), sleep amount, and resting heart rate.

Since moving into our new house - after nearly a year of stress and worry - my resting heart rate has dropped 3-4 points, sleeping (mostly) to my alarm, and feeling much better overall. Even managed to drop a few pounds over the last two weeks, which is a nice perk.

Just getting the move behind us (other than odds and ends around the new house) has been very quietly good for my health. I would say I didn't feel outwardly stressed, but I did have anxiety-induced insomnia over the last few months that was pretty bad.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:55 pm

This is interesting. A new study found that Vitamin B6 had a statistically significant effect on improving anxiety and depression.

Before she passed, my nurse-practitioner mother had started me on a vitamin regimen that she thought might help my anxiety, and one of the things she told me to take was the "active" forms of the B vitamins, including pyridoxal-5'-phosphate (P-5-P), which is the active form of B6. I wonder if that has been something that has helped me over the last couple years. I've usually been buying the NOW Supplements brand from Amazon and taking one per day; it's the equivalent of 50mg of Vitamin B6. It looks like the study participants were given 70mg, so I'm pretty close to that amount.

Those of you on here with anxiety and depression might want to buy some, give it a try, and see if it helps. A bottle of 90 P-5-P capsules is $13 from Amazon, so it's a low-risk experiment.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:47 am

B6 was a tough one to find. Unisons + B6 is a common OTC pregnancy nausea treatment that gave some relatively mild relief to my wife while she was pregnant. Look forward to reading that paper when I get to the office later today.

RonnieFranchise

Health and Fitness

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:15 am

Had my annual physical today. Down 21 lbs from this time last year and 29 from my heaviest (according to my crappy bathroom scale). More than 10% gone! This time last year I was under evaluation for non alcoholic fatty liver. This year all liver function tests were not just normal but well within normal range. Triglycerides high but lower than last year. BP good, cholesterol either high end normal range or low end high range, not requiring treatment. No back pain to speak of anymore other than it doesn't always loosen up right away first thing in the morning. Wish I had tried to lose the tonnage sooner. Doc asked when the last time I was down to this weight was (switched to his practice 4 years ago). I said- 10 years maybe?

I mean I'm still a fatass and have a long way to go but felt good to get a great report out of a physical.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:25 am

Good stuff @RonnieFranchise

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:17 pm

Good stuff Ronnie! Losing weight got my cholesterol down too.

Honestly, having that weight off feels so good.