Health and Fitness

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm

With the baby coming, I'm planning to switch my after-work routine to early morning. Does anyone have any tips for getting up early in the morning?

I feel like forcing myself to get up early for two months should help to switch my schedule around.
Give yourself something to look forward to in the morning. I wake up early in the morning for the exact reason that I know my daughter and wife will both be sleeping soundly for another 90 minutes-2 hours. I like to wake up and play wow, so ideally fit in something you like.

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Interesting. I plan to wake up at 6 am now, which is an hour earlier than now. Ideally, I'd like to get up at 5:30ish.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:06 pm

I'd wake up for pancakes and bacon... but I think that kind of defeats the purpose.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:18 pm

With the baby coming, I'm planning to switch my after-work routine to early morning. Does anyone have any tips for getting up early in the morning?

I feel like forcing myself to get up early for two months should help to switch my schedule around.
I'm an early morning work out person. I am usually starting my workout by 6am if I'm at home, and by 6:30 or so if I hit the gym. No real advice. I like getting up early and working out. I feel better after I do, and I like getting to the gym when there is no one there so I can just do my thing.

I get less and less motivated to workout as the day goes on. That's just how it works for me. I'd work out at 4am if my wife didn't yell at me for waking her up. We are up at 5:15am anyday she goes to work, so it's easy for me to get up early. I'm used to it.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I work out in the morning. Typically I’ll get up at 4:45 or so and get a good hour in before the rest of the house stirs. Hopefully it gives you a good boost for the rest of the day because knowing that I’ll feel great the rest of the day makes it infinitely easier to roll out of bed

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I think that's where it's weird for me. For almost 1.5 years now, I've been doing at least 30 minutes on the treadmill when I get home. I've always been a light sleeper, and I find that I am a morning person, and a night person, but I have rough patches of tiredness in the afternoon.

I likely don't get enough sleep either way, but I'd like to wake-up before work and be refreshed at least.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm

This stupid sounding...but just get up. Don't think about it. When your alarm gets up, you pop up and get out of bed. Don't dread about it, don't think about getting five more minutes (useless)...get the gym, start feeling good about yourself...hit the ground running into your day.

If the afternoon drags on you, then that's diet related in all likelihood. I've quickly become a proponent of raw fruits and veggies for breakfast and lunch at this point. Make some smart adjustments if you need protein for weight gain purposes though...that eliminates the drag for me.

Last week, fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch...no mid-day drag...this week, to flip the experiment, I had a Wawa Sizzli for breakfast, buffalo chicken cheeseteak for lunch, just all kinds of random garbage...fell asleep in my chair at 11 this morning, and was very drowsy from 2 to 3 on Monday and Tuesday...

Like Mick says in the lead track of "Emotional Rescue": "Get up! Get out! Into something new..."

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Word, all good advice. Tomorrow I set my alarm for 6AM and we'll see what happens. I'm a light sleeper and usually has no problem in the morning, we'll give that a run.

AuthorTony

Health and Fitness

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:56 pm

going to bed at 2am and waking at 10am.
Same. Every day.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Personally, I've found that the hardest part of getting up in the morning to workout is the first couple days of actually getting up. If you've got your alarm clock sitting next to the bed on a nightstand, move that bastard across the room. I stick my cell phone across the room, so when that thing goes off an hour earlier than I'm used to, I need to get up, trip over one of the infinite number of decorative pillows on the floor, jump over the dog, and turn that thing off before my wife gets pissed. Now I'm awake and had to actually move, might as well go workout. Do that for a week and you'll be surprised at how quickly getting up early to workout becomes a sustainable routine. I also like to give myself a bit of extra time in my morning workout window so when I finish my workout in 40 minutes I've got a 20-30 minutes left over to multitask stretching/foam rolling with playing PS4.

mikey's point about diet is pretty spot on as well. I'm not as extreme with the just raw veggies and fruits for breakfast and lunch, but I recently cleaned up my diet pretty significantly and have much more energy and have pretty much eliminated afternoon sluggishness. Yesterday I had my first "cheat" lunch (despite not being my usual lunch, it still wasn't that bad) in 3 weeks and felt like a bag of ass and just wanted to take a nap afterwards.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:31 pm

I have a spreadsheet that I've been using since 2005. And Garmin Connect/MFP share data. But I also plot my daily weight on my Google Calendar. I really believe that my (most peoples?) bodies work on a weekly cycle if they have a job that's routine. So knowing what I weighed the last three Saturdays, or Tuesdays, or Mondays is important to me. Really calms me down and keeps me motivated. Until the input becomes unreliable.

I'm just very tied to data and devices. I won't run without a watch, I can't just do fitness for the sake of it, the effort needs to be checked against a benchmark.
I've been like that before, but now it's down to at least needing my headphones. No headphones = no go (mudruns being the obvious exception.)

Watch is dead? I've used the Garmin app on my phone. I don't like doing that because it crushes my battery.
Forgot my heartrate strap? Whatever. I really only use it on runs that I paid for or if I'm running outside with hills. Occasionally I'll throw it on during a treadmill run, but half the time I don't remember until I'm 20 minutes in.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm a really fussy runner. I don't do heart rate straps because it gets into my head that they're too restricting and it's all I'll think about. When I was in the military I couldn't wear my glow belt too tight or I would fuss about it.

Unrelated, but I sent an e-mail to Garmin about my scale and they're sending me a new one. Props to them, this is the only product of theirs I've had a problem with and they're taking care of it in quick order.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm

A week ago I was 0.1 miles into my 3 mile run when my wireless headphones died. Thought about turning back. Decided to power through. Spent 2.9 miles debating if I should just run into traffic and end the misery.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:00 pm

A week ago I was 0.1 miles into my 3 mile run when my wireless headphones died. Thought about turning back. Decided to power through. Spent 2.9 miles debating if I should just run into traffic and end the misery.
millenial

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Front hole

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:30 pm

I need to wear head phones to drown out the sound of my own breathing and footfalls. My wife was vacuuming and stepped on my headphones yesterday, breaking them. I quickly ordered a new pair on Amazon Prime and will wait until UPS shows up tomorrow before I do my normal Thursday run. I could probably wear my studio headphones but I'd look like an dadhole I think.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:00 pm

I need to wear head phones to drown out the sound of my own breathing and footfalls.
Exactly this. Lugging my 220ish pound ass around on a run is hard enough without hearing my breathing, my feet, and the thoughts in my head telling me to just turn around. Need a distraction.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Lolol this struggle is real. Running without any background noise is horrific.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:32 am

Was going to buy some new clothes on Amazon. Decided to check the closet and see if losing 30lbs got me into any clothes I haven't fit in for a while. Found about 5-7 shirts that now fit, two of which still have tags on them. I bought a bunch of clothes while living in Wisconsin that were ultimately too small so I stuck them in a closet for 'someday.' Cool.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am

New clothes has been the most expensive and biggest pain in the ass part of losing weight. The "Big & Tall" section is a f*cking lie. It's for big people. If you're tall, you also have to be big to shop in that section.

On that note, I did walk by a mirror today at work and for probably the first time I had to stop because I realized how different I look now. It seems like I'm the last to really notice. Might be because I'm wearing one of my new shirts today, and it fits really nicely, but it was a really good feeling to look and see that difference.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:40 am

I have a ton of clothes that fit only at a certain weight. I just went through the hanging stuff, I have more in deeper storage. Some of the styles are a bit dated though so they may be donated for that reason. It's kind of like digging for fossils in sedimentary rock; as I pass through different levels fashion from certain eras become available. I just tried on a bunch of stuff I put away after I got back from Afghanistan in 2013, so my collection of available polos just tripled. :lol:

I know what you mean though. When I went from 300 down to 230 the first time I remember going and buying clothes that fit and that's when it really clicked for me.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:37 pm

I've gone through so many jeans since I lost my weight. I was a size 50"in to start... I now am a 32" waist. I have to buy jeans again though soon cause I need to get like an athletic cut instead of loose cause I have no ass and my legs while muscular are lean... so loose jeans look like crap.

Polo shirts drive me nuts too.. some brands I'm a large, a few I'm XL, and most I'm a Medium.. it just depends on the make of the polo. When I was fat it was always just 3x no matter what. So much easier.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Yup. Im medium in most things but there’s the odd ones where I’m a large or xl. The biggest thing for me is length. Finding long sleeves that are actually long enough is a nightmare.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:46 pm

I've gone through so many jeans since I lost my weight. I was a size 50"in to start... I now am a 32" waist. I have to buy jeans again though soon cause I need to get like an athletic cut instead of loose cause I have no ass and my legs while muscular are lean... so loose jeans look like crap.

Polo shirts drive me nuts too.. some brands I'm a large, a few I'm XL, and most I'm a Medium.. it just depends on the make of the polo. When I was fat it was always just 3x no matter what. So much easier.
Clothes shopping in general sucks.

I went polo shopping when I started this job since it was a more casual dress code. It was weird that some shirts that were loose as a large were also tight not as roomy as an XL. Same brand, same loose cut listed on the collar. I think I even have an athletic cut that's a large that fits better than that XL.

Jeans? The last time I went jeans shopping, I couldn't find anything that fit. My legs are thick, so anything that is skinny or boot is out of the question. Even some of the relaxed fit didn't feel too relaxed. If I go up a size to a 34, even that doesn't give much room. If I go beyond that, then it looks ridiculous or like I'm wearing a pair of Jncos from 1999.

bhflyhigh

Health and Fitness

Postby bhflyhigh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Lolol this struggle is real. Running without any background noise is horrific.
Some reason I don't like running with music. The natural sounds of the world around let me clear my head and think about all my problems. So at the end of my run, I have nothing left to think about. Everything is sorted out for the day.