Health and Fitness

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:40 pm

so any recommendations for a groin pull, or is it the standard routine of rest, cold packs, and ibuprofen?

I pulled it last night while sliding at curling. I felt my back leg shift while I was trying to re-adjust midslide, and then things just went south from there. The pain was off the charts for the first 10-15 minutes, but about half a day later it's at least tolerable but still more painful than it should be.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:56 pm

Was doing a ride yesterday and Kendall told me (well everyone) to make sure we're activating our glutes. I appreciate her concern, but it got me thinking and I'm not sure my glutes are doing a whole hell of a lot during a ride. It's definitely a heavily quad dominant activity for me. Maybe an issue with how the seat is set up? Or maybe my glutes are already so good they just don't feel any work?

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:41 pm

Was doing a ride yesterday and Kendall told me (well everyone) to make sure we're activating our glutes. I appreciate her concern, but it got me thinking and I'm not sure my glutes are doing a whole hell of a lot during a ride. It's definitely a heavily quad dominant activity for me. Maybe an issue with how the seat is set up? Or maybe my glutes are already so good they just don't feel any work?
This is a nice resource for that... Found it a little bit ago.

I know that lifting your legs up is important too for activating the hammies. Not just pushing down.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:44 pm

so any recommendations for a groin pull, or is it the standard routine of rest, cold packs, and ibuprofen?

I pulled it last night while sliding at curling. I felt my back leg shift while I was trying to re-adjust midslide, and then things just went south from there. The pain was off the charts for the first 10-15 minutes, but about half a day later it's at least tolerable but still more painful than it should be.

Objection. Unless you pulled that groin while doing an XYZ during a ABC program on your Peloton, such plebian non-Peloton questions should not be raised here.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Rest, cold, ibuprofen. Give it longer to heal than you think is necessary. Groins will feel great but still be in the healing process. One wrong move too quickly and it’ll go again and be worse than the first time

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:54 pm

Yeah, I had issues with my hip flexor and lower back from sitting all day. I've been walking 5-6 days a week, 3-4 miles a day, and haven't had problems with either since (with a healthy dose of chiro/massage therapy.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:04 pm

Ah my old nemesis- the groin pull. Stay off it. That’s about all you can do. Try to keep it a little loose by lightly stretching it four times a day. It’s usually one of those injuries that you just have to baby until it heels. I pulled once in preseason and it wasn’t healed until Christmas break.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:14 pm

Objection. Unless you pulled that groin while doing an XYZ during a ABC program on your Peloton, such plebian non-Peloton questions should not be raised here.
For all the complaining you do in this thread you could post something non peloton if you wanted and start a discussion ;-)

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Or, I can get you $300 off one of your own, Shyster...

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:01 pm

Or, I can get you $300 off one of your own, Shyster...

:lol:

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:12 pm

I just cut a $55,000 check to pay my half of the debts of my mother's estate. I'm not looking to spend money on a $1,700 exercise bike when my $300 Yosuda bike from Amazon is still working just fine.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:39 pm

Shyster, look away...

@NTP66 will enjoy this, though.

Bearings going bad in a Peloton is pretty common. And it's a very easy change. Take the cover off, release the belt, take the flywheel off the axle, and then remove three bolts to extricate the bearing from the flywheel. Then reverse to reassemble.

However...when Peloton assembled my bike some grease monkey equivalent torqued the bolts down (spec'd to 10ft/lbs) all the way and now they're seized in the flywheel. Peloton will not authorize a flywheel replacement, it's either change the bearing or replace the entire frame. So I've got a new frame coming my way. And the technician reassembled it so I don't have any downtime with the bike.

I can't figure out why this company is hemorrhaging money, weird.

NTP66

Health and Fitness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:12 pm

I would laugh, but I can empathize with you. Pure incompetence.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:49 am

I recently had a retaining snap ring break on the crank on my Yosuda exercise bike, which caused the crank to drift to the right as I pedaled. I kept having to whack the crankshaft back over to the left with my rubber mallet, or otherwise it would drift far enough to the right that the belt could no longer stay on the pulleys. After $40 spent at Amazon for a pair of snap-ring pliers, a big box of assorted snap rings, and a bicycle crank puller, it's good as new. I'd need the same tools to replace the crank bearings.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:15 am

Got an e-mail to schedule my bike replacement. May 23rd. :lol:
It doesn't really matter, my bike works fine in the meantime. Just gave me a chuckle.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:52 am

I've gotten in three rides this week...I am trying to figure out the best time to ride, and I think it is right after my daughter leaves for school. I find that if I don't do it then, at lunch time I am stressed about work and feel like I don't have time to get down there. I can't do first thing in the AM after waking up...I've tried.

I think I need to stop worrying about my strive score so much. It's bizarre...it was 63 today for a 30 minute ride (304 watts), and a couple of weeks ago it was like 55 for a 45 minute ride (450 watts). I get that different types of rides will test your heart differently, but still weird.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:55 am

Strive is a non-linear scale, so if you have a ride with a lot of high intensity, even for a short amount of time, the strive score goes up quickly.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:57 am

Strive is a non-linear scale, so if you have a ride with a lot of high intensity, even for a short amount of time, the strive score goes up quickly.

I always forget those x8 multipliers. :thumb:

I spend a vast majority of my ride typically in the orange zone so makes sense.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:03 pm

I am going to finish near 360 miles for this month in total. The power zone stuff has been really good for me. Sometimes it seems to help to just say stay in this zone and don't go nuts. It's relaxing almost. Looking forward to improving my FTP score in a couple of weeks.

Also started the crush your core program since my wife wanted to do that. Emma fits lots of stuff an intensity into 10 minutes or so...I'm more wiped out after those than I was after 30 minutes of the other strength stuff we were doing.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:07 pm

Let me know how the core program goes, I've had my eye on it as well.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:22 pm

my accountability partner just finished the Crush Your Core 2. she said it was better than the first one and she'd recommend people do the second one first.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:37 pm

We are through the first week of crush your core 1. Obviously my core strength is nowhere near where it needs to be, but I found the 10 minutes spent worth it. Definitely feeling it after the each session or two (if you do a couple back to back). See how the next 3 weeks go.

NAN

Health and Fitness

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:48 am

So, I'm going to put an update on my health out here in case anyone cares. But it's been theraputic for me to talk about the journey.

In case you weren't in the COVID thread, back in January, my hands started to have a tremor. Then I started to get muscle twitches all over. Of course, I did the wrong thing and started googling symptoms, and basically it said I had everything bad you can get. Which then drove up anxiety, which led to depression in February, and from February to mid March, I could barely function.

Had an MRI which was clear, just got conducted an EMG/nerve condution test, and it went really well, had multiple blood screenings, all came back good, and had a neuro appointment, and he said I looked healthy, but probably had an essential tremor. But no one could explain the muscle twitching, joint pain, etc that I was having. My PCP is convinced that it could be long COVID symptoms, as he's been seeing a lot of neurological, muscular, joint and organ issues in patients that had COVID.

I was put on Klonpin 0.5mg in mid January, to help calm the anxiety and allow me some sleep, which I took every night for like a month. Then I was switched to a 20mg dose of Lexapro when the depression became an issue and 0.5mg twice a day of Xanax for the short term.

After about 4 weeks, the depression symptoms have gotten significantly better if not fully disappeared. I can actually get up and function. The anxiety was better as well, but I knew it was because of the Xanax. So 2 and a half weeks ago, I started to wean off per my doctors instruction. Going down to 0.75 total for the day was fine. Then last week, I went down to just 0.5mg for the day (0.25mg at night and in the morning). I had quarter end close, wife out of town, and kids fighting, and by that Thursday, I was a mess. Had a setback and took the full pill at night and on Friday morning. Gave the immediate relief, but was disappointed. So I went back to the half and half on Friday, and Saturday was a dodint. Sunday morning was a dodint. But with it getting sunny laterin the day, I played basketball with the kids, walked, etc, and felt great. Forgot to take my pill. Monday morning, it felt like a hangover, and I took my half pill that morning and night, and yesterday morning. Yesterday went for a nice long walk, played basketball again, and in the evening felt great again, and didn't take my pill. This morning, I had some anxiety, but not crippling, so I went for a walk, got the kids ready for school and haven't taken a pill yet today. I'm "jittery" a bit, but I keep doing the CBT excercises my therapist taught me, and it's keeping me in check so far.

So that is 3 out of the last 5 times I was supposed to take my pill where I didn't need it. I just hope this keeps up. It's difficult. But I try to take every positive as a win.

As for the physical side, I still tremor at times, in my hands, sometimes in my face which is the one that bothers me, but it comes and goes. I think essential tremors are like that at the beginning. But the muscle twitches are still there, and vary throughout the day. Sometimes they don't happen, other times, it will go for like 30 minutes straight, and then other times, just sporadically all around. Again, no one has an answer. My doctor thinks they will hopefully go away after a few more weeks, because a lot of the long COVID stuff he has seen has been lasting 3-6 months, but he said it could also be attributed to the anxiety or the medicine, and when I get that in check, it may also relieve them.

Sorry for the long post, don't blame if many of you skipped, but again, just getting things off the chest. It has been better, but it's still frustrating at times. But I have a great support system as well and being open about it has helped.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 am

That sucks NAN. Hopefully, you work through it sooner than later. It sounds like you're on the right track. Feel free to share your progress, we're happy to hear it.

Troy Loney

Health and Fitness

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:02 am

Never going to be easy to come off of Xanax / clonopin. Just recognize that fluctuating dosage is going to impact mood and physical well-being. I would keep working to wean off the xanax.