Health and Fitness

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 pm

Ooh, haven't heard of P90x in a hot minute...cool, get after it...

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:02 pm

I prefer Insanity to P90x. But I prefer not destroying my joints more so I do not do Insanity. :lol:

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:14 pm

I just recently changed gyms because my office moved and it's inconvenient to go to either of my other gym's locations. So I swapped them out and joined a Planet Fitness...it is...not great. So I've made a new workout routine to adjust for my new surroundings (I was overdue for that anyway, as I was doing the same thing for like 12 weeks) and their lack of, say, something to do bench presses on...

But I'm gonna give it a chance for a while and see how I feel...I'm gonna do a little more whole body stuff, a little less isolation, and see if I can get a little more...I don't know...athletic is how I would term it...I've gained enough muscle mass over the last few years to kind of switch gears a bit...

I will say, I have not noticed great results from intermittent fasting...even now that I'm passed the holidays where I was eating (and drinking) like a dump truck...I've returned to my normal eating and drinking habits, except I cram them into a window from 10 am to 7 pm on weekdays...but I really don't think I look leaner as a result...a little bit of the opposite actually...maybe it hasn't been long enough yet, but my body is usually very quick to react to something like that and it seems to be partially rejecting the concept...which is disappointing...

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Intermittent fasting isn't magic. I mean if eating in a certain window helps you control your intake great, but there's nothing special about it as far as getting leaner or anything.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Yup.... I've had it for five years need to start at some point.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Intermittent fasting isn't magic. I mean if eating in a certain window helps you control your intake great, but there's nothing special about it as far as getting leaner or anything.
Yeah, there seemed to be some hormonal/chemical (?) benefits according to some research...the only real benefit I've noticed is that my poop time is lessened haha...

I'm "eat a little bit every few hours" person, especially when I workout...I try to get an efficient amount of protein every 3 or 4 hours. I don't know that that's the best way, but I know it generates satisfactory results...

I think perhaps cramming bigger meals into a tighter window is not a match for me...or a need, as I'm not an over-eater by any metric...I also spend much more time awake than the average person, I would imagine...so matching things to a circadian rhythm maybe just isn't the right fit for me...

As I recall, you lost a ton of weight...I take it that I.F. was not a factor...but was it a consideration...?

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Yup.... I've had it for five years need to start at some point.
Best day to start anything is today. Get it. First few times are the hardest...stay with it. You're gonna need to be big and strong to stop Bernie's goons from stealing your hard-earned ca$hish...

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:57 pm

That chest and back workout from P90X is an absolute monster.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:24 pm

Yeah, there seemed to be some hormonal/chemical (?) benefits according to some research...the only real benefit I've noticed is that my poop time is lessened haha...

I'm "eat a little bit every few hours" person, especially when I workout...I try to get an efficient amount of protein every 3 or 4 hours. I don't know that that's the best way, but I know it generates satisfactory results...

I think perhaps cramming bigger meals into a tighter window is not a match for me...or a need, as I'm not an over-eater by any metric...I also spend much more time awake than the average person, I would imagine...so matching things to a circadian rhythm maybe just isn't the right fit for me...

As I recall, you lost a ton of weight...I take it that I.F. was not a factor...but was it a consideration...?
I lost like 200lbs.

I think I looked into it like everything else, but never really seriously considered it.

I don't have anything against it. It works for some no doubt, but I don't think it's magic that's all. No diet or way of eating is IMO.

I'm coming up on 1600 days since I started this whole journey. Pretty crazy.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Got f*cking rocked 5 minutes into our soccer game this evening. Made a save with my face. Hit me right in the chin and it made my jaw numb up to my ears for a good hour. Didn’t realize until after the game that I probably shouldn’t have played the rest of the game, but soldiered on.

We’ll see how I’m feeling in the morning. I’ve had concussions before, and this doesn’t feel like one.

Ad@m

Health and Fitness

Postby Ad@m » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:42 am

How are you feeling this morning?

King Colby

Health and Fitness

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:42 am

I do intermittent fasting like every other week for about 16 hours. Been doing it for about 15 months. I dont know or really even care if it works or not. The key for me is that it has me continuously thinking about eating habits, which stops me from snacking like a pig, or eating stupid breakfasts. Also, I dont really eat any more than normal during my eating window. Usually lunch, dinner, and a snack, all reasonably sized. Also the food I eat during my "eating" window isnt always healthy either. Last night it was a piece of pound cake.

Dropped 30 pounds and from a 38 to a 34" waist in 15 months so whatever I'm doing is working.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:46 am

Hmmm...interesting. Maybe it's just not a match for me or my lifestyle/habits then...

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 am

I fast daily. From about 8PM to 6:30AM. It works for me. :lol:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:17 am

The stress of the last few months has really gotten to me in terms of my weight. I've gained nearly all of it back from the loss I had over last summer. I take the bar exam next week and can close out that chapter of my life. Looking forward to getting back to running, eating well, and working on self-improvement and maintenance instead of focusing almost entirely on extrinsic goals.

Anyone else doing the Yuengling run on June 6? The wife and I are running it, so I already have a goal in mind which helps me immensely.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 am

I do intermittent fasting like every other week for about 16 hours. Been doing it for about 15 months. I dont know or really even care if it works or not. The key for me is that it has me continuously thinking about eating habits, which stops me from snacking like a pig, or eating stupid breakfasts. Also, I dont really eat any more than normal during my eating window. Usually lunch, dinner, and a snack, all reasonably sized. Also the food I eat during my "eating" window isnt always healthy either. Last night it was a piece of pound cake.

Dropped 30 pounds and from a 38 to a 34" waist in 15 months so whatever I'm doing is working.
Calories in and Calories out no matter how you do it. Seems like IF is a good fit for you though based on how your mindset works. I think that's what it comes down to finding what works best for your lifestyle. No matter if you only eat for 5 hours a day in a window, or snack all day long, or eat 1 big meal... if you burn more calories then you take in... the weight comes off.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:55 am

How are you feeling this morning?
Good man. Thanks for asking. I did my chess puzzles, played a bit with my kid and my cognitive and motor skills all seem good. I do feel a little off, but I didn't sleep well last night which could cause that. Nothing of concern, imo.

King Colby

Health and Fitness

Postby King Colby » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:21 pm

Calories in and Calories out no matter how you do it. Seems like IF is a good fit for you though based on how your mindset works. I think that's what it comes down to finding what works best for your lifestyle. No matter if you only eat for 5 hours a day in a window, or snack all day long, or eat 1 big meal... if you burn more calories then you take in... the weight comes off.
Yep. It is 100% as simple as that, and i think these fancy diets and lifestyles miss that point. Find your "how" in creating that deficit and go from there.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Anyone else doing the Yuengling run on June 6? The wife and I are running it, so I already have a goal in mind which helps me immensely.
I kicked that run around last year, and I'm trying to think what came up on the schedule that prevented me from doing it. 99% sure I was travelling that weekend, but can't remember what for. But since it's early enough in the year, I'm trying to plan all my races ahead of time. No more Warrior Dash to worry about, already signed up for Color Run since it was cheap and The Great Race the day it opened for signups. For $23 after fees, that one was an easy sell. Plus there's the Path Of The Flood run back home, which I'll probably go for the 13.1 instead of the 8 mile, and of course the 6.6k in October. But getting back to your question, I will probably do this one. I'm sure there's some cool swag that comes with it, plus it gives me a reason to start running again.

Save for less than a handful of times where I hopped on the treadmill for 20-30 min since early November, my only exercise has been weekend hockey. That is wrapping up in a week or two, so now I'll be back to doing nothing on the weekends. Since I've been a one man show at work for almost six months now, I'm exhausted by the time I get home. Out of the 40+ lbs I lost last year, I probably put 15 back on. The first five I expected, the next five was like "I need to get into a routine again". I saw pics of myself this weekend and immediately told myself I need to at least start giving a **** about what I'm eating if I'm not gonna run regularly.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:30 pm

The 'downside' to the Yuengling run is that it starts at 9am, which is relatively late for a summer run. I don't mind it but the wife is already moaning about the heat. Cold beer at the end, so there is that.

As an aside, the Hot Cider run in Cranberry was not good for a lot of reasons so if it's on your calendar give it a good hard thought before committing.

I stopped running cold turkey about 45 days ago. So I get to go through the joy and pain of restarting a run regimen, and now I'm about 15 pounds heavier. Yay!

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:22 pm

I heard somebody at work mention that one, but Cranberry is a bit of a trek for me. Probably closer to 40 minutes, maybe a little more depending on traffic. Downtown is maybe 15-20 minutes and goes by quickly once I jump on the parkway.

My stopping was a combo of things. I am mostly worn out from work. Although I'm usually walking 2-3 miles a day just in the office, I would usually go home and run another 3-4. Late November, I bruised my ribs curling (yes, curling). Lost my balance trying to avoid contact with a stone that I didn't see. Next thing you know I was flat on the ice. Coincidentally, tonight might be my first time on curling ice since that weekend. Our club is having open house tonight, but I'm not sure if they're letting club members on the ice yet. Two weeks later, I got hit with a stick in the ribs on a breakaway during hockey. That dropped me instantly and didn't fully heal until mid-late January for a number of reasons, mostly because lack of rest.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:14 pm

I've now ran more miles in this month than since September... Really trying to run more for weeks and mental health reasons. I'm at 156 right now, so would also like to add some muscle mass for the first time in my life.

@dodint, I was chuckling to myself in the Garmin app earlier when I saw that the vast majority of your runs have a distance that is a relatively even number :lol: Reminds me of leaving a tip to get an exact number on the bill.

Lot of activity in there lately, good stuff :thumb:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Yeah, because I am fat I can't run far (trying not to tear the meniscus), so I just try and run the same distance faster each time. When I start losing some weight I will switch it up and see how far I can run in a set time. It's all treadmill right now.

Good on you for sticking with it. I am not always happy with my runs, but I am always happy that I ran.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:18 pm

Yeah, because I am fat I can't run far (trying not to tear the meniscus), so I just try and run the same distance faster each time. When I start losing some weight I will switch it up and see how far I can run in a set time. It's all treadmill right now.

Good on you for sticking with it. I am not always happy with my runs, but I am always happy that I ran.
Awesome. Ahhh that makes sense now why the distance is so consistent. Was wondering how you constantly found routes at those exact mileages :face:

Couldn't agree more. Anything that works up a sweat is a win in my book :thumb:

Orlando Penguin

Health and Fitness

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:46 am

When I embarked on my discipline plan at the beginning of 2019, “sweat every day” became a bit of a mantra for me once the baseball officiating season ended in mid-April. With Florida’s heat, it didn’t take much and that helped me hit my weight goals. A couple months back, I got a bike as a 15th anniversary gift from the workplace and I’m giving that as much run as I can handle. The route itself is blah but there’s zero traffic now (living next to the ghost town of Universal comes in handy) and I have a convenient 0.8 mile road circuit in my neighborhood. But if you’re sweating every day and are smart about your eating habits (long the bane of my existence), results will come.