Health and Fitness

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am

Much like the leadup to my vasectomy.. freaking myself out over this bone marrow biopsy. My wife tells me not to worry...she's done a ton of these to patients when she was on the leukemia service.

In any event since it's being done at the hospital and she can go with me.. I at least get to have twilight sedation which I think will help with my overall nervousness.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 am

You've been doing great for years now, I'm sure it's nothing and you'll gain peace of mind when it comes back with no findings. :thumb:

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 am

You've been doing great for years now, I'm sure it's nothing and you'll gain peace of mind when it comes back with no findings. :thumb:
Thanks.. and yeah I know. It's the anticipation more than anything else. Wife says my other labs are fine, they are just being safe etc to make sure.

Still don't like hospitals, still don't like doing procedures... just how it goes though.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am

Best of luck to you skully.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:09 am

Procedure went fine this morning. Being sedated definitely helped. Don't remember too much from it other than the sound of the drill briefly.

Have to wait a few days for results so we shall see.

Feeling a bit nauseous from the Medicine but that will wear off soon hopefully.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:34 pm

On a whim, I went through my wardrobe today and was pleasantly surprised to see that I fit into a bunch of tops that were previously too small. Good feeling.

I lost about 30lbs at the beginning of the year. And, surprise of surprises, didn't gain more than 5-8lbs back. So now that I'm actively trying again I'm starting from 270 instead of 300. This means with only a few pounds lost I'm already at my lowest weight since 2019. I'm only about two weeks into this new effort which is great because I've gotten past the retraining the hunger-pangs stage and have my body on its regular eating schedule again.

I'm trying to get down to 250 by the last week of the year. If I can do that we're going to buy a treadmill again. For now, I'm really enjoying the low-impact Peloton but my heart has always been with distance running. The ultimate goal is to get down to 230 by spring as I'm going to try to get back into the military as a JAG and finish that career.

RonnieFranchise

Health and Fitness

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:44 pm

Colonoscopy tomorrow. Prep starts at 7 pm. Not looking forward to it. You youngsters.... it's coming for you eventually.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Prep is the worst part. The rest is easy peasy.

eddy

Health and Fitness

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Colonoscopy tomorrow. Prep starts at 7 pm. Not looking forward to it. You youngsters.... it's coming for you eventually.
7pm? Damn, Ive had dozens of these and I'm usually wrapping up around then.

Kane

Health and Fitness

Postby Kane » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:43 pm

I get to start those at 40. Lot of bad history with colon cancer and polyps on my dad's side.

eddy

Health and Fitness

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:47 pm

I get to start those at 40. Lot of bad history with colon cancer and polyps on my dad's side.
Don't wait, sign up for one tomorrow. I wouldn't be here today if I waited until 40.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:11 pm

Noted. Any posts from Ronnie after 7 pm are coming from the toilet.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:54 pm

7pm? Damn, Ive had dozens of these and I'm usually wrapping up around then.
Didn't realize that. Ronnie is not sleeping tonight

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:58 pm

I have a prostate nightmare coming, based on genetics.

It’s so weird, though, that a PSA test isn’t just a standard thing for any adult male any time they get blood taken. What are we doing here? How many lives are we losing because we can’t do something this basic.

eddy

Health and Fitness

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:58 pm

I have a prostate nightmare coming, based on genetics.

It’s so weird, though, that a PSA test isn’t just a standard thing for any adult male any time they get blood taken. What are we doing here? How many lives are we losing because we can’t do something this basic.
Correct. I have been getting my PSA done every year since I've been 30 on a recommendation from my doctor based on family history.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:37 am

Prep is the worst part. The rest is easy peasy.
Preps have gotten "easier" over the years. my first, back in 1996 was HORRIBLE. I had to drink 64 OZ of thick, orange flavored "drink". fast forward to 3 years ago and it was two cups of 8 ounces of liquid with a powder mixed in 6 hours apart.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:45 am

I remember my dads first colonoscopy about 20 years ago and he had to drink a gallon of some nasty prescription prep stuff. My wife had one about five years ago and was given a list of things to not eat for 24 hours and was told to drink a bottle of Miralax.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:38 am

Agree, the actual laxative isn't disgusting or anything. It's the process of elimination that sucks

Beveridge

Health and Fitness

Postby Beveridge » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:08 am

I'm going to try to get back into the military as a JAG and finish that career.

Some might say you've continued that JAG career without interruption on the message board. ;)

This low hanging fruit can't be ignored.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:26 am

try to get back into the military as a JAG and finish that career.
How many careers are you trying to juggle simultaneously?

Kane

Health and Fitness

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:49 am

All of them.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:52 pm

Went to the doc today for my yearly physical. Got my flu shot, which was nice to just have it done while I was there. No extra appointment necessary. She said "So we typically recommend patients get blood drawn and analyzed every 5 years or so once they hit 35." I said "Cool... why are you telling me that?" "Because you're going to be 35 in a couple months???"

Awwwwww sh*t.....

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:59 pm

Working for FedGov while being a military reservist/guard is a pretty sweet gig. You double-dip a lot in terms of pay, benefits, retirement. When handled correctly it's a no-brainer. Particularly if I don't really care for my primary cyber analyst career anymore. If I did get picked up as a JAG I would put my law firm on hold, only doing a handful of cases a year and probably for pro bono. I only need 14 years in the military to get to a second retirement so I'll have time to either phase out the cyber work or phase in the law firm stuff. I'm eligible for retirement from FedGov now, just sticking around to up my multiplier.

RonnieFranchise

Health and Fitness

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Camera removed. Got a couple polyps removed, nothing that looks too serious. Repeat in 5 years.

That anesthesia they use…. I was in the same place and position when I went to sleep as when I woke up, it was like there was just a scene missing from a movie or something. Had no idea they did it.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:24 pm

Working for FedGov while being a military reservist/guard is a pretty sweet gig. You double-dip a lot in terms of pay, benefits, retirement. When handled correctly it's a no-brainer. Particularly if I don't really care for my primary cyber analyst career anymore. If I did get picked up as a JAG I would put my law firm on hold, only doing a handful of cases a year and probably for pro bono. I only need 14 years in the military to get to a second retirement so I'll have time to either phase out the cyber work or phase in the law firm stuff. I'm eligible for retirement from FedGov now, just sticking around to up my multiplier.
So the answer really is all of them. How does life work as a JAG reservist?