Health and Fitness

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Yeah, thanks. This is the one thing in life I've never been able to truly get right and I'm really trying to get it this time.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm still going decent on mine. I've kinda plateaued over the last two weeks, only losing like 2-3 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

I started going up to the point of doing semi-long trail runs. My speed isn't there, which granted the trail I run is all uphill to the turnaround spot, but I felt better knowing that I did five miles on the weekend and wasn't even remotely sore the next day. Depending on the weather tonight, I may venture out and run downhill first and then finish going uphill to see how much different my time is.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Nice work @dodint !!

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:36 pm

Good work @dodint !

bhflyhigh

Health and Fitness

Postby bhflyhigh » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Good job dodint! Hoping to catch the weight loss motivation bug myself.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks. Ended up losing a few more pounds during my track weekend. Was able to set my new goal, trying to get from 266 to 252 by September 25th. Hoping I exceed that and touch into the 240s though.

The bad thing about carrying weight well is that it doesn't outwardly appear in an obvious way that I'm losing. Looking at pictures taken through the process they all look the same to me. :lol: :(
At least my clothes are fitting better.

I was able to collect another race track. Each time I do a track weekend I try to run the track on foot and capture it in my Garmin. I did the 2.1mi Gingerman Raceway track in 21:03 which is a decent enough time given I had been auto racing all day. I took my run as soon as the track closed down so I could go stuff my face with sausages at the track party.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:37 pm

At least my clothes are fitting better.
:thumb:

This was the biggest thing for me that drove home my weight loss. I was reticent to actually start buying small shirts, but when I did, I realized that mediums (and some of the larges I still had) made me look much worse than I actually look. Being able to wear slim, form-fitting pants and shirts has been a huge confidence booster and I never get tired of it in the morning.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 pm

Shad wears skinny jeans, confirmed.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:49 am

Signed myself and my wife up for the Lemieux 6.6k yesterday before it went up a few more dollars. Looking forward to running it again this year.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Nice, that should be fun. Hope you enjoy it. I'm still probably running that Cranberry run on Nov 9th.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 pm

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/report- ... /331069478
ST. FRANCISVILLE, La. -- At least 16 people were injured after an obstacle collapsed at the Warrior Dash event in St. Francisville Saturday according to our partners at WBRZ.

Acadian Ambulance spokesperson Justin Cox told WBRZ that 11 people were transported with "a wide range of injuries from minor to serious." He said others were injured but did not need to be transported from the scene.
https://twitter.com/TheWebKevin/status/ ... 5854060545

What's funny is the last one that I did in Ohio while on this obstacle, somebody behind me made the comment that was something to the effect of "what would happen if this thing fell down?"
frankly it was only a matter of time. even if WD has good insurance 16 lawsuits could spell the beginning of the end for them.
https://www.mudrunguide.com/2019/07/bre ... perations/

So yeah, that happened. :o I don't know if one is related to the other, but nonetheless Warrior Dash is no more.

What's worse is that I already have a room booked for what was supposed to be Warrior Dash Maryland next weekend. Not sure if I'm gonna go for a refund, credit on my hotels.com account, or just use it for a long weekend out of town.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Signed myself and my wife up for the Lemieux 6.6k yesterday before it went up a few more dollars. Looking forward to running it again this year.
Did the same on Monday.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Are you going to do the ski jump climb again someday?

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Are you going to do the ski jump climb again someday?
I was just talking about that right with one of our interns after I found out about Warrior Dash. Yeah, I'm still looking into it. There's one in Michigan which seems a hell of a lot closer than Park City.
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events/rb400-ironwood

However, the only problem with Ironwood is that it's not really close to anything. If I flew up to Minneapolis, it's still a 4+ hour drive by car. Milwaukee? 5 hours, give or take a few minutes. There's also the possibility of hopping a flight from Minny to Ironwood for $191 each way... nah.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Minneap ... 46.4546698

If I drove, which would give me more time to do touristy stuff while on the way up and back, it's 13+ hours if I go through Minneapolis or if I go through Michigan, across Lake Michigan and through the UP. Driving would also allow me to stop off in Madison and see a friend of mine from my Navy days and possibly convince him to go.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Robinso ... 46.4546698

There's also the option of doing the 400 in Whistler, which would mean flying into Seattle and driving up into Vancouver. That would also mean I really need to get a passport or a NEXUS card, something that has been on my list of things to do for awhile.
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events/rb400-whistler

Seattle to Whistler is also 4 hours, but there's a lot more to do in Seattle/Vancouver/Whistler than there is in the town of Ironwood (pop. 4971)
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Seattle ... 163196!3e0

So if I were to have my choice, my order of preference would be:
Seattle/Vancouver/Whistler since I haven't been there
SLC/Park City since there are a bunch of things I still want to check out
Ironwood because there's no easy way to get to it.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:12 pm

I make the drive from Pittsburgh to St. Paul, MN a few times a year. I'm growing weary of it to say the least. ;)

Whistler sounds like fun.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:54 am

There's also the option of doing the 400 in Whistler, which would mean flying into Seattle and driving up into Vancouver. That would also mean I really need to get a passport or a NEXUS card, something that has been on my list of things to do for awhile.
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events/rb400-whistler

Seattle to Whistler is also 4 hours, but there's a lot more to do in Seattle/Vancouver/Whistler than there is in the town of Ironwood (pop. 4971)
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Seattle ... 163196!3e0

So if I were to have my choice, my order of preference would be:
Seattle/Vancouver/Whistler since I haven't been there
SLC/Park City since there are a bunch of things I still want to check out
Ironwood because there's no easy way to get to it.
is flying into Vancouver not an option for you? can't speak to Pittsburgh but ATL to YVR has been pretty cheap (around $300 RT) the last few years.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 am

TBH, I don't know why I haven't considered that.

Update on the Warrior Dash fiasco:
Red Frog Events (the parent company of Warrior Dash) has turned off their phones and will not respond to emails. This includes if you try to correspond through RFE's parent site. WarriorDash.com now redirects to http://www.spartan.com/en/warrior, but the WHOIS info for their domain is still associated with RFE so it's not like Spartan has officially taken over their race and customers :shrug.:
After a few emails and poorly constructed form letters from Spartan, I was able to get a code for the Spartan Stadia race at PNC Park. I had to chip in $20 for insurance and bag check but considering what I paid for the Dash, a $20 upgrade is fair considering the price difference in events. I did one in DC at Nationals Park and although it was cool to see parts of the park that normally wouldn't be available to the public, my shins were sore for 2-3 days after from busting them off several rows of seats. But free is free (almost), so I figured I'd take the race and get an informal, somewhat self-paced tour of the park.
My hotel? Yeah, I'm pretty much ****ed. Spent an hour on the phone with them yesterday explaining my situation and everything out of their mouth was "no, no, no, sorry, no, no, sorry but..., no, no, we can't..., no, no, no." I may drive down to Gaithersburg, hit up Dogfish Friday night and then either visit DC Saturday or visit a friend that I was stationed with over in Baltimore. It gives me a reason to get out of town, but knowing that I'm driving down there basically so I don't lose out on a room for a night obviously doesn't sit well.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:34 pm

My body finally let me get through a plateau. I was 261-263 for three weeks, then I tumbled down to 258 over the last two days. Feels good to have broken that.

That puts me just over 40 pounds down. I still feel fat, lets see what 40 more does.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:54 pm

My body finally let me get through a plateau. I was 261-263 for three weeks, then I tumbled down to 258 over the last two days. Feels good to have broken that.

That puts me just over 40 pounds down. I still feel fat, lets see what 40 more does.
:thumb: :thumb:

CBear3

Health and Fitness

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Throws off all your corner weights. Good Job! :thumb:

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:54 pm

same deal. I hit a plateau over the last week or two. Did some reading over the last few days where they say it's even kinda healthy to reset your body if you've hit that mark where you aren't gaining or losing.

This is my last big stretch for picnics, parties, etc. thanks to the long weekend, so I'm sure I'll put that to the test over the next few days. Nothing crazy, but if I want a burger or a few adult beverages, this would be the time to do it. After that, I know it's back to square one. I have 20 to go before I hit the beach in mid-November. I think it's plenty doable as long as I don't stray off-course.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm

I've ran the equivalent of a 5k each of the last four days in a row. Averaging about 8:30 min/mile each day. Would like to shave that down a bit, but not too shabby. I need a rest day though I think. Walked around kennywood today after running. Over 22k steps today. Time to relax the rest of the day.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:51 pm

My knees ache for you.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 am

Did the Lemieux 6.6k today. Averaged under a 9 min/mile. I will take it. That last little bit up hill at the end to the finish always messes with me. Was colder than I thought to be running in a tanktop haha.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:36 am

I did the 6.6k with a friend who never did a 5k, so there was a bit of run/walk/run yesterday. I wore a light hoodie, which I instantly regretted by the first bridge.

Normally I'd probably be bothered with my time - my watch showed 49:00 - but knowing that I got a friend from back home to run and his reaction was better than I thought it would be, I'm give this year's run a pass.

7 years, 7 races.