Health and Fitness

MR25

Health and Fitness

Postby MR25 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Calorie count update: Weighed myself at 183 a month ago. Weighed again last week, am up 6 pounds from that, which brings the total to about 16 pounds gained in a year and a half. Still making muscle gains to go with it.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 am

First day back at the gym after vacation is not fun lol.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 am

This week is my vacation for the summer. Mostly we’re just visiting family with the newborn. Man, it’s killing my diet. I really don’t care though. Completely worth it.
Pleasantly surprised... expected at least a pound or two in just water weight from all the salt. Nope. Down a pound. Now it's doubly worth it. :lol:

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 am

So it's gotten more and more difficult as I apparently age to manage my body fat percentage. For most of my life I was able to successfully keep it around 9 to 12% or so. I've had demonstrable abs since I was 17 probably...now, just the uppers show and the lower part of my stomach is this band of fat that is annoying the **** out of me...

Now, part of it is, I'm not on the ice, I'm not even playing men's league right now...so my cardio is way down. Actually, that's probably most of it...finally I've become so unhappy with it that I'm going to do something about it...a rushed through my morning workout routine and ran a mile on a treadmill (this marks the third such occasion in my entire life, I believe) and I got some apple cider vinegar (the real stuff) to drink (diluted in water of course) as a minor helper in this instance...

I know this has a #firstworldproblems feel to it, but it's so gross to me...must fix.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:32 am

Belly fat is typically diet related. Have you moved on from your 6 year old diet?

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Have you moved on from your 6 year old diet?
:lol:

You're still in your 20's, right? You need to start thinking about reducing the amount of protein from animals and switch to a more plant based diet. Eat more fish instead of beef, pork, and chicken. More legumes, fruits, greens, etc.

I wish I had started that in my 20s.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Haha I have made almost no changes to my diet that I'm aware of...I do eat salads more often for lunch, but otherwise, it's the same basic ****...the only thing I can really pinpoint is I eat less bread (opting for wraps almost all the time) and eating more salad...which, I'd think, in a vacuum, would help...

I don't eat beef (haven't had red meat in, what, 7, 8 years, something like that)...I feel like I eat a decent about of fruit and greens...I think it's just not moving as much as I used to...so I'm gonna start moving more, run a little bit (which historically, I've never done as running sucks a big one...) and see what happens...

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Plant based diet has no real effect on anything unless that is the way you want to go(or you have some medical condition)... eating beef/red meat/chicken/pork etc is fine in moderation.

Also Apple cider vinegar has no effect on anything.. so if you are drinking it because you think it does anything for you.. it doesn't.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 pm

I disagree on the acv

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 pm

I figure not...but I bought a bottle, so I'm gonna drink it...sure as **** ain't cookin with it...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:23 pm

There are studies showing that ACV actually can lead to eating less if you consume it prior to eating... that said, there are two reasons for it:

1. You dilute it in 8 oz. of water... if you drink the 8 oz. of water on its own, you get appetite suppression as well.
2. Your appetite is suppressed in the form of nausea from drinking an acidic solution.

All the other "benefits" seem to be old wives tales and placebo effects. I will never poopoo something completely due to placebo effects though. If it works, it works, but it may not be because of the item itself, but your mind.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm

There are studies showing that ACV actually can lead to eating less if you consume it prior to eating... that said, there are two reasons for it:

1. You dilute it in 8 oz. of water... if you drink the 8 oz. of water on its own, you get appetite suppression as well.
2. Your appetite is suppressed in the form of nausea from drinking an acidic solution.

All the other "benefits" seem to be old wives tales and placebo effects. I will never poopoo something completely due to placebo effects though. If it works, it works, but it may not be because of the item itself, but your mind.
So in other words.. just drink some water haha.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Some women (shocking I know) at work got into the ACV craze. I loved smelling the reeking vinegar every day.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am

Went on vacation for a week, gained .8 of a pound. I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't gain any either. I'm certain if I hadn't stayed up late last night eating salty hummus I would've actually lost a little. I was mindful of what I was eating while away, but I drank a ton of alcohol of all kinds. Awesome week.

Only downside was that I severely sun burned the tops of my feet so my planned road running was cancelled, lost about 6 miles of what would have been fantastic coastal plain running. I healed enough that I did a 1 mile beach race in 15kt-30kt winds but that isn't much of a distance even in those conditions.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 am

anybody doing the GNC Mile tomorrow?

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:36 am

I'm running the 5k in Crabtree tomorrow.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm doing some superhero 5k in a couple weeks. then the Lemieux 6.6k in October... maybe I'll see @dodint like I did last year and awkwardly not say anything haha.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I sure af won't be wearing an Andrew Ebbett authentic hockey jersey again. What a hot run, I really thought it was going to be chilly but NOPE.

Just looked and I was in the low 270s last year when I ran it, was at the end of my good weight loss for last year. I'm 10lbs heavier than that right now so I should have no problem being in better shape for it in 2018. I know I am from a fitness standpoint but it'd be nice if I was carrying about 250 instead of 270.

Hard to believe registration is open for that already.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm doing some superhero 5k in a couple weeks. then the Lemieux 6.6k in October... maybe I'll see @dodint like I did last year and awkwardly not say anything haha.
he passed in front of me twice before the race and didn't say a word.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:33 pm

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:17 pm

I wonder about this a lot...

Sometimes I'm thinking about even raw foods... ignoring the possible differences between the same food, like does a super ripe peach have more calories than an under ripe one? But more about how far off some of those numbers might be.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Today is 8 weeks into my latest weight loss effort. I have lost about 2.5lbs a week which is more than I planned, but 20lbs doesn't seem like much. Have to keep pushing. Mentally I feel just as strong as when I started. Need to carry the good habits into my fall semester and I should be in pretty great shape by my birthday in December.

With the 6.6k on the horizon that should keep me going on the fitness side. I ran the Crabtree 5k in 34 minutes on Friday. Slow, but for where I am in life right now it was a victory for me.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 pm

I wonder about this a lot...
I do not wonder too much when I’m in chipotele. Specifically, when they are adding about 5 servings of sour cream with their full size ladle onto my burrito, i do not wonder if the calories are more than what has been stated.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:36 am

Well... I hit my ultimate weight goal over the weekend. 200 pounds on the nose (I saw 199.8 on the scale. First time I've seen a 1 in the hundreds place since 7th... 8th grade?).

Well, now to lose maybe 5-10 more and then maintain. It's weird that I don't feel much different. Skullman, maybe you can attest to this? I see the difference, I know I'm wearing smaller clothes, I know that my internals are probably better off, but I don't feel any different. Maybe it'll take some time? Maybe I just don't remember what being fat felt like? I dunno.

Either way, I'm happy with where I'm at. I wish I took progress pics from start to finish to see the transformation, but for now these are all I had to put together for "progress":

https://imgur.com/a/wV6LKdG

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 am

Congrats! Now for the hard part, maintenance. ;)

I've mentioned before but I have no self-awareness about my size. I always feel, in my mind, like I'm at my goal weight. Even when I look in the mirror I see a thinner me. It's when I see a recent photo or catch an unprepared glimpse in a reflection that I see what I really am. I felt great on vacation then saw that pic of me in the MG and was like, awww, ****, still fat. :(

As for 'feeling' different I do, but it's not like I feel better per se, just less worse. I know that's a weird distinction but every time I've ever had a successful weight loss campaign it's been because I reached a tipping point with my lack of fitness. My initial weight loss effort back in 2005 happened because I got winded walking down a flight of stairs, was utterly disgusted. When I lose weight I'm running away from that feeling, not towards feeling 'great', so for me success is the absence of awfulness. That's kind of meandering and abstract but I hope you understand what I mean.

In tangible terms clothes are the best indicator. I have clothes that fit from everywhere from 220lbs to 300lbs, and I'm starting to fit into some of the upper mid-range stuff. Feels good. Last time I was in Afghanistan I did a picture a day every morning before leaving for work, it helped, but really so does recording daily weight. That said, your slideshow is a great trophy, keep it for when maintenance gets hard.