Health and Fitness

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:38 am

When you say it was hard to maintain those low zones, do you mean like you wanted to step it up, or it has gotten too difficult?
definitely the former. my FTP is 9 months old and I've done a LOT of riding since then. last night I couldn't go above 85 cadence or above 33 resistance without blowing out my zones.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am

I guess PRs mean nothing to me and my home built ghetto rig
it depends on your rig. if you've got a Schwinn IC4 like I do, or another bike that can broadcast output via bluetooth then you can absolutely set Personal Records. if you've got a $300 bike from amazon like a Sunny or Joroto or whatever that thing is that they're selling at ALDI, no.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:45 am

When you say it was hard to maintain those low zones, do you mean like you wanted to step it up, or it has gotten too difficult?
I don't want to speak for her but I'll speak from my experience.

Ideally, you retest every couple of months. All the PZ Test does is determine what output number your maximum is over an hour. So say you do your first test and the system calculates your max output to be 180. Now all seven of your zones are calculated based on that number (180 is somewhere in zone 4, and the zones are spaced up and down from there). If you improve over the six months, your true FTP is going to be higher than 180 which means your lower zones will feel very slow and your higher zones will be easier than they once were. When this happens it's tough to stay in the lower zones because it's so slow and boring.
The test itself is strenuous but it's not crazy or anything. If you're taking Matt's test it's a 20-minute test broken into 5-minute segments. You just step it up each segment and then go balls out for the last one.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:48 am

Ideally, you retest every couple of months. All the PZ Test does is determine what output number your maximum is over an hour. So say you do your first test and the system calculates your max output to be 180.
it's your AVERAGE output, not max. you take 95% of your average output and that determines your zones. why 95%? because technically an FTP test should last an hour but Peloton doesn't want to kill us. :lol:

edit: you're supposed to be going all out so it's kind of max power but kind of not. just don't confuse it with TOTAL power. tha could make some ugly zones. :scared:
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:50 am

Nice, thank you both! Excited to try it--I've been mainly living in the 30 minute music classes (difficulty ratings seem to mostly be in the 7s) so want to mix it up a little bit.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:54 am

Ideally, you retest every couple of months. All the PZ Test does is determine what output number your maximum is over an hour. So say you do your first test and the system calculates your max output to be 180.
it's your AVERAGE output, not max. you take 95% of your average output and that determines your zones. why 95%? because technically an FTP test should last an hour but Peloton doesn't want to kill us. :lol:

edit: you're supposed to be going all out so it's kind of max power but kind of not. just don't confuse it with TOTAL power. tha could make some ugly zones. :scared:
Interesting. I knew it dialed it back because of the difference between 20 minutes and an hour. I thought it was max, though. In that Zone 4 should be the maximum you can do for an hour.

I think I'm just using 'max' incorrectly because I had it right in my head, your 100% FTP (Zone 4) is the maximum you can hold for one hour.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, shaf. Just do the test to the best of your ability and the bike will setup your zones correctly for you.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Nice, thank you both! Excited to try it--I've been mainly living in the 30 minute music classes (difficulty ratings seem to mostly be in the 7s) so want to mix it up a little bit.
What I like about Zones is once you have the graph up and running on screen for all classes you can use them as a meter for how hard you're working. If you're tired that day you can kind of see it in the graph, or if you're killing it you'll know. It also helps keep you going because you'll find yourself wanting to light up the next bar for just a few seconds longer or whatever. I use the graph in every single ride.

For PZ classes they'll assign you a zone for a particular effort. What I like to do is if they call Zone 5, I'll fill the zone 5 box and then light the zone 6 box up (but don't let it fill) and try to hold it there. Little games like that really add to the experience for me.

Before I did the FTP I would just try to maintain 20mph average for the ride and that got old quick, particularly when I improved and 20mph was easy to achieve.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:39 pm

@dodint @shafnutz05 or anyone else who owns a Peleton. Is there any real difference between Bike and Bike+ other than the bigger screen/rotation and auto adjusting of resistance that is worth the jump in price?

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:44 pm

No. I think there is something about the Bike+ being able to recalibrate itself but I can't find it in the literature. I got the Bike+ for the follow feature. I've never moved the screen once, I think that only comes in handy if you want to do off-bike stuff, but we have a TV in there with a Peloton app, so we don't do that.

The lame thing is the Follow feature is only good for recorded rides, it doesn't work in live rides or recently posted rides where they've had time to put in the cues. And it's useless in PZ.

I think Bike is a 95% solution and Bike+ is a 100% solution. The margin shrinks if you never plan to tilt the screen.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:46 pm

No. I think there is something about the Bike+ being able to recalibrate itself but I can't find it in the literature. I got the Bike+ for the follow feature. I've never moved the screen once, I think that only comes in handy if you want to do off-bike stuff, but we have a TV in there with a Peloton app, so we don't do that.

The lame thing is the Follow feature is only good for recorded rides, it doesn't work in live rides or recently posted rides where they've had time to put in the cues. And it's useless in PZ.

I think Bike is a 95% solution and Bike+ is a 100% solution. The margin shrinks if you never plan to tilt the screen.
That is kind of what I thought. It's a 1k price difference...so I was trying to figure out what made it worth it. I'm real close to biting the bullet with the 0% APR they offer to pay it off in chunks over a few months.

We have a tv in the room where this would go too so not sure if I'd ever move the screen or not.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:51 pm

@dodint one other question since you are a garmin guy like me. Does your garmin connect to the peleton, or do you use the peleton branded heart rate monitor?

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:54 pm

@dodint one other question since you are a garmin guy like me. Does your garmin connect to the peleton, or do you use the peleton branded heart rate monitor?

I can answer this one! I bought a Polar heart rate strap/monitor a couple of years ago to wear on my runs with my Garmin Vivo. One thing I am VERY happy about is that I am able to sync up my Polar to both the Peloton and my Garmin (I just start a Cardio workout on Garmin) so I can track my intensity minutes like I normally would. I'm sure not all monitors allow you to connect to two devices at once so something to consider.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 pm

Well, just finished my first FTP, ended up at 177. My initial estimate based on height and weight was 135 so I guess that's good, was really trying to build separation in those last ten minutes.

That said, I feel like I definitely could have gone harder in the first ten, but Matt wanted me to stay in Zone 3 (my original Zone 3, which was clearly too low).

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:01 pm

Man, I've been getting bored of doing the treadmill, but the way you guys talk about the Peleton, I've been trying to decide if it's worth it or not lol.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 pm

I can answer this one! I bought a Polar heart rate strap/monitor a couple of years ago to wear on my runs with my Garmin Vivo. One thing I am VERY happy about is that I am able to sync up my Polar to both the Peloton and my Garmin (I just start a Cardio workout on Garmin) so I can track my intensity minutes like I normally would. I'm sure not all monitors allow you to connect to two devices at once so something to consider.
Thanks!

I have a garmin vivoactive 4 and it seems like from what I'm reading it can be put in broadcast mode for the pelton to pick up my HR etc. Just trying to see if its worth getting the Peleton HR strap in the one bundle or not.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:12 pm

That is kind of what I thought. It's a 1k price difference...so I was trying to figure out what made it worth it. I'm real close to biting the bullet with the 0% APR they offer to pay it off in chunks over a few months.

We have a tv in the room where this would go too so not sure if I'd ever move the screen or not.
as the others have said, the Bike+ does have a few extra features. one I didn't see mentioned is that it has a bigger screen and better speakers. as far as the moveable screen, you can mod the regular bike to pivot with a product on (of course) Amazon:

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:15 pm

I think I'm just using 'max' incorrectly because I had it right in my head, your 100% FTP (Zone 4) is the maximum you can hold for one hour.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, shaf. Just do the test to the best of your ability and the bike will setup your zones correctly for you.
that's a big reason why I went back to edit what I said. I think it was just a quibble over "max output".
I've seen a few people get it confused with "total output" and then they manually input their FTP as something like 300 and they're dying. :lol:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:37 pm

Man, I've been getting bored of doing the treadmill, but the way you guys talk about the Peleton, I've been trying to decide if it's worth it or not lol.
I've been the same way and have been checking Craigslist and Marketplace to see if I could save a few $ by picking up a used one. The used ones aren't really that much cheaper, about $1200-1400 for a gen2, and the ones that are listed for $600 or $800 are more than likely a scam.

I saw somebody on Marketplace that had one listed in Steubenville for $800 but the away message was on and they needed to contact a second person because "it's my aunt's bike." When you go to that person's profile, it's listed another 53x in a bunch of small towns from Arizona to New York and all points in between. Profile has no other posts, no friends, and was semi-recently created. All red flags to me.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:52 pm

stalk this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pelotonbst

most are reasonably priced. you will occasionally find people who financed before the price drop and now they think they can sell it for $1.8K because that's what they owe on the financing. I'm not sure why they think someone would pay $300 more for a bike with no warranty.
also funny are the people who charge $1.5K plus and say they'll include the shoes (used shoes? gross), weights (light dumbbells are cheap) and a mat (also cheap)

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:14 pm

Thanks!

I have a garmin vivoactive 4 and it seems like from what I'm reading it can be put in broadcast mode for the pelton to pick up my HR etc. Just trying to see if its worth getting the Peleton HR strap in the one bundle or not.
I didn't even have to use broadcast mode with my vivo 4. It automatically connected to both the Peloton and garmin when I started the workouts on each. All I really care about are the intensity minutes counting.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:17 pm

Thanks!

I didn't even have to use broadcast mode with my vivo 4. It automatically connected to both the Peloton and garmin when I started the workouts on each. All I really care about are the intensity minutes counting.
:thumb: :thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm

Another TV character had a heart attack from a Pelaton, FWIW. It's a show a few of us watch so I won't spoil it, but the stock price dropped a little yesterday because of it. There's been some rumors that they have so much inventory that they will halt production on some models and perhaps start layoffs.

People are returning to their old, pre-COVID habits (gyms, not exercising lol)

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:59 pm

stalk this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pelotonbst

most are reasonably priced. you will occasionally find people who financed before the price drop and now they think they can sell it for $1.8K because that's what they owe on the financing. I'm not sure why they think someone would pay $300 more for a bike with no warranty.
also funny are the people who charge $1.5K plus and say they'll include the shoes (used shoes? gross), weights (light dumbbells are cheap) and a mat (also cheap)
Yeah, that seems to be a theme on those CL/Marketplace ads. I don't want your stinky shoes.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:21 pm

Do you need to buy the peloton shoes? I can just use my Nike's right? haha.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:46 pm

Do you need to buy the peloton shoes? I can just use my Nike's right? haha.
if your Nikes have Look Delta cleats you're fine. if they have SPD cleats then you can either switch to Look Delta (some shoes are duel compatible, mine aren't) or swap the pedals to SPD pedals. my Schwinn IC4 came with SPD pedals that are known to be crap so I never even installed the stock pedals. I took pedals off of an old mountain bike.