Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:09 pm

We actually just hired the guy we intended to hire last March - 2 weeks before Covid.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:12 pm

We are a team of 2 now doing the work of probably 4 to 5 people and it's only going to ramp up. We can handle it, but it would be nice to have another person or two, but need the right person or they will just anchor us down.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Yep, we have a great team and didn't want to risk it. We interviewed one person who had more technical knowledge, but the guy we hired was an internal transfer from a team that we work with all the time, and just has an incredible attitude. We always preferred working with him when partnering with his old team.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:19 pm

Yeah... we've basically decided that if anyone on the panel is a maybe and not 100% on board with who we interview that we pass. It has to be 100% yes across the board by everyone. Myself and the other person on the team have a great dynamic right now getting stuff done and even if someone comes on who is 1000% on the technical side if they don't mesh with us work wise it's a pass.

The person we had today when asked to tell us about their work experience and highlight some things etc... they literally went down their resume line by line for the past 15 years... I had to eventually cut them off or they would have went on for like an hour.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:22 pm

What do you do @skullman80

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:25 pm

What do you do @skullman80
Mainly API work and onboarding/migrating clients to our API's. We have a legacy platform that is slowly going away so people are moving from one system to another. Also handle HL7/EMR setups/migrations as well for people who connect with us that way. Basically any sort of integration that is done with our platforms runs through our team and the overarching developers and marketing.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:49 pm

Just got an email from a supplier. Guy's name is Deke Lemiuex. His parents are the greatest ever.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:30 pm

The end of our O365 go-live is in a few weeks. One of the groups complained about earlier support, so leadership is trying to force my team - a god damn engineering team that does not support the app - to go on site for 12 days. Our new manager asked for volunteers, but based on my IMs today, I’m assuming that he received very few of them. This makes no sense whatsoever, especially because that group has their own, on-site support staff. We would literally spend 8 hours just twiddling our thumbs.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:34 am

performance review season. it is really a tragedy how so many managers few this as a task and not an actual coaching opportunity. plus if you are trying to manage someone out and you always give them the highest rating you are going to have a mess on your hands n at. just really a shame how lazy some people are

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:43 am

Most managers don’t want to coach.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:51 am

My assumption has always been that rating the employee as "meets expectations" moves the process forward with the least amount of effort. Rating good or bad has to be explained / justified.

The consulting world that I moved into, the feedback process is just embedded into everything, which is both good and annoying.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:54 am

My last two managers were definitely coaches, and actively tried to help the one guy on our team who was struggling. He ended up leaving, which solved the problem, I guess. I agree with the above, though, an unwillingness to do that will only negatively impact the team overall, because everyone can see what's going on, and nobody wants somebody who isn't pulling their weight to be regarded as equals (IMO).

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:33 pm

Video interview for a manager gig in 30 minutes. I've spent the last 2 days preparing, and will likely get curveballed at every question, because as of course is tradition.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:35 pm

Wafflestomp that interview mac

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:47 pm

How'd it go, macdaddy...?

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:54 pm

performance review season. it is really a tragedy how so many managers few this as a task and not an actual coaching opportunity. plus if you are trying to manage someone out and you always give them the highest rating you are going to have a mess on your hands n at. just really a shame how lazy some people are
In my experience, no one really wants to be coached. They want a paycheck for doing the absolute bare minimum. I've said it 1000 times and I'll say it again - management is for suckers. Not to mention I'm supposed to give actual good people rave reviews, but I'm given a cap for "merit". It's a joke. I think the majority of us (management and non) would just be happy if you gave a flat COL raise every year and saved us the trouble of the idiotic review process.

But I'm jaded.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:04 pm

In my experience, no one really wants to be coached. They want a paycheck for doing the absolute bare minimum. I've said it 1000 times and I'll say it again - management is for suckers. Not to mention I'm supposed to give actual good people rave reviews, but I'm given a cap for "merit". It's a joke. I think the majority of us (management and non) would just be happy if you gave a flat COL raise every year and saved us the trouble of the idiotic review process.

But I'm jaded.
Eh, that's the system we are in basically. Doesn't matter what your review is, 2-3% raise flat across the board. It's been that way for the 9 years I've been at this job. I've asked for a promotion two times now, and both times my boss said it's warranted. But he's unable to justify it because for 2 years now they've been trying to change to a new promotion system for engineers and they won't allow new promotions until it's in place. Of course that doesn't apply to any other department or upper management.

All this does is lower morale. As I'm sure your situation does as well.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:06 pm

My company is very weird. It’s smaller and privately owned. Any change or something new is the end of the world and people like to push back on it. We found a new revenue stream but it has had bumps getting it up and running. Now the old guys here are thinking it might not be worth it because it’s new and didn’t go perfectly. They want to do what they have always done and what has been easy.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:26 pm

I like to be coached up, because I always want to be the best at things...I also think a little differently than the other kids, it's easy to see a lot of people who just want to put their head down and hope...that's their prerogative. I've actually taken a stand against our pres and CEO in the last couple years when we do reviews and I go, "some of these people don't want to try to come up with development needs, or training help, some people are just content showing up every day and producing a product...you can't afford to pay a roster of superstars anyhow, so just leave these people alone and let them do their thing..."

I think finally last year they got my message and backed off of the people that don't want to dimpa-size their meal, even if it's only 25 cents...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:16 pm

How'd it go, macdaddy...?
Not bad.
I'm a terrible interviewer but it's gotten me this far so I must be half decent.
I nailed 4 of the 6 behavioral questions with solid answers. 2 were curve balls.
I totally buzzword souped the motivational fit question. That's supposed to be the softball.

Ive known the hiring manager for about 8 years. And the other manager who sat in with him is a close friend.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:41 pm

Nice, sounds like you have a leg up with the relationship there...hope it works out... :thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:12 pm

Someone with our "sister" company sent a meeting invite to the entire organization...canceled it. Then did it again minutes later...

Score!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:31 pm

How does someone do that? There’s obviously an Everyone DL, but like...how do you do that?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Whoever setup an org-wide DL and didn't restrict it is a dummy. Unless the sender is an exec.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:37 pm

So I asked a former boss for a recommendation to the position I interviewed for last week... He replied that he already recommended someone and wished me luck. Seems odd.