MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:20 pm

*incoming Shyster post about how remote jobs are the devil*

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:00 pm

To shock and awe everyone, I wasn't sure whether I might be coming down with something, so I actually worked from home today.

But Zuck wants the people who still work for Meta to get back into the office:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:02 pm

That’ll fix everything.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:45 pm

I'll stand in for Shyster:
Although productivity is important, we haven’t given sufficient consideration to the potential negative health effects of remote work for some people. Those who have the luxury of working from home might end up realizing that remote work is disadvantageous to their mental and physical well-being.

A recent compilation of evidenced-based studies investigating the mental and physical effects of remote work found mixed results. Some workers thrived in the remote environment, citing more time for healthy behaviors, including exercising and bonding with family, while others became less active, gained weight and reported feelings of isolation and depression.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/14/opin ... ealth.html

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:49 pm

I agree, remote work isn’t for everyone. But there’s many people it IS for as well

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:50 pm

Mixed results you say? One size doesn't fit all? Let the employee and employer work out what's best for each situation? Hmmm.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:51 pm

I agree, remote work isn’t for everyone. But there’s many people it IS for as well
:fist:

I agree. I'm 10 years in.

Extroverts need to be in the office and get positive feedback. I don't need that.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:37 am

The funny thing is that a lot of these companies have hybrid options, so if you're one of those nutjobs who hates working from home, that article doesn't even apply to you. Just go into the office like a big boy.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:19 am

I had a long conversation with my director yesterday... Basically I just told her that I feel like I've been given an impossible directive by our new board and I've felt like my days are numbered here for six months. The culture here has gotten dark and fearful quickly, mainly because our new investors don't get the business and are just rattling off one unrealistic demand after another.

It won't change the situation but I feel a lot better putting it out there.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:19 am

The funny thing is that a lot of these companies have hybrid options, so if you're one of those nutjobs who hates working from home, that article doesn't even apply to you. Just go into the office like a big boy.
Exactly.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:21 am

The culture here has gotten dark and fearful quickly, mainly because our new investors don't get the business and are just rattling off one unrealistic demand after another.
Honestly sounds like @mikey's place the way he describes it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:35 am

To shock and awe everyone, I wasn't sure whether I might be coming down with something, so I actually worked from home today.

But Zuck wants the people who still work for Meta to get back into the office:
This is just lazy trolling at this point.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:38 am

I had a long conversation with my director yesterday... Basically I just told her that I feel like I've been given an impossible directive by our new board and I've felt like my days are numbered here for six months. The culture here has gotten dark and fearful quickly, mainly because our new investors don't get the business and are just rattling off one unrealistic demand after another.

It won't change the situation but I feel a lot better putting it out there.
What a crappy situation. My dad went through this towards the end of his career. Fortunately it was towards the end of his career so he didn't really give a damn, he was close to retirement. But man it is stressful. And 100% spot on how you describe it. Hopefully it works out for the best. Good luck man.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:50 am

But if everybody isn't forced back to the office, who will the extroverts talk to while there? Since returning to the office three days a week, the only time my co-workers and I talk is when we dodint about being in the office.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:56 am

The energy vampires need their victims too.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:58 am

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:03 am

Tell you what, I was pissed when I thought they killed him off at the end of season 3.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:05 am

Tell you what, I was pissed when I thought they killed him off at the end of season 3.
I was worried, too. I can't envision the show without him - he's just so damn good in it. Can't wait for the next season!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:02 am

You god damn hypocrite. YOU DONT GET TO DO THAT

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:35 pm

One thing about in-person work that I don't think has been brought up here yet: I don't know how many of you work for companies that this might apply to, but some employers might be in the position of getting fairly substantial tax incentives to be physically located where they are. The municipality where Meta/Facebook is located is called East Palo Alto......... that sounds posh, and it is fairly close by to Stanford and SilVal techs and such, Menlo Park is right next door, etc. But for something like 30 consecutive years the largest source of commercial revenue in the town was a single McDonald's location; it was the per capita murder capital of the U.S. on multiple occasions; it is located at the west landing of the Dumbarton Bridge and amounted to a micro-regional road commute version of a 'flyover' location; median incomes were roughly 40% of adjacent ZIP codes. Then Facebook arrived, moving down from SF. The community revitalized, average home prices are seven-figures, and with that came some pretty hefty concessions from San Mateo County.

Between the studio lot, the ABC and Animation buildings across the street (where Disneyland was originally supposed to be!), and the other satellite offices around the city, I think we employ something like 10,000-ish people who work in Burbank. We all have to eat lunch, run errands, etc. There's an incentive to bringing us to Burbank to do all that.

I don't really say that as a justification for why I want to work in person (I'm agnostic as to which specific Target I buy toilet paper at on my lunch break) or anything. But corporate executives maybe aren't just dinosaurs looking to the Old Ways in bringing people back to the office. Now that COVID restrictions are going away across the board, it may cost them a lot of money not to do so.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:39 pm

Source of the post One thing about in-person work that I don't think has been brought up here yet: I don't know how many of you work for companies that this might apply to, but some employers might be in the position of getting fairly substantial tax incentives to be physically located where they are.
My wife's company and my previous company are in this boat. The city of Philadelphia gives them tax breaks for keeping offices within city limits. My company decided that, financially, it didn't make sense to pay the lease on IT's office, so they terminated it early as we were full time remote. My wife's company, however, is simply refusing to sign Philly wage tax refund forms, meaning the city gets to keep their wage taxes. Obviously, this only accounts for wage taxes, not from revenue they'd get from people parking/eating/shopping in the city.

But it's 2023, and they can come up with new ways to address their budget.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:20 pm

I couldn’t give less of a **** about a company’s tax breaks

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:33 pm

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:34 pm

:thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:56 pm

I don't particularly care about a company's tax breaks either. But if tax breaks are in any way contributory to me having a job vs me not having a job, my company's tax breaks are somewhat meaningful to me.