Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:53 am

Wait, so if you're Factorial, what's up with the new account?
I was locked out of my old one and decided to start anew.
Did you try 1-2-3-4-5?

Welcome back. :)

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:18 pm

There is at least one other person in this thread whose company went that route, as well. I'd be interested in hearing how that has worked thus far.
It me. It's been good. I've taken a few more days than I used to be granted. I make sure to track it and know I'm using it right. I'm sure others take less now that there isn't a number they "have" to take. Like factorial said, it's all about having no accrued leave when people quit, and there's probably enough people taking less than they used to so they get more work out of people from the "perk." But really, if you stay on top of your work and actually use it, it is nice.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:44 am

Wait, so if you're Factorial, what's up with the new account?
I was locked out of my old one and decided to start anew.
Did you try 1-2-3-4-5?

Welcome back. :)
your user ID should've been: `

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 am

Our old interim manager hired for an open senior position on our team during his two months leading the team. They started a week after the interim manager left the company. Apparently the person hired was a friend of the interim manager at a former employer. Well this senior person has never before used the main tool we use day to day and now I have to show him and train him. Super.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:54 am

Since we do 9/80 days in our office, I would usually use Fridays as my catch up day for things I put off during the week. But since I've been flying solo for almost a month now, it's just another day. Got in at 730 and have literally been from one side of the building to the other all morning. It's now almost 12 and I'm just getting back to my desk.

I get to interview temps next week, so there is some relief in sight.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:40 pm

My wife requested Christmas week off so that we can visit her family in Kansas. Her boss has been dragging her feet, and last week said that she needs to see who is going to back her up that week. She's the first person to request off that week, so IMO, there's your **** answer. But no, her boss sent an e-mail to the group asking for everyone's time off for the holiday. I have no idea what her plan is if somebody else also wants off for some of those days.

In the meantime, flights are $200 higher per person thanks to this **** Canaan. I'm close to telling my wife to just quit her job for a number of reasons.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:47 pm

When my wife was full time, they pulled similar crap with her. At least it was laid out as part of the plan. You pick your top 3 vacation weeks as well as top 3 holidays you don't want to work. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.

Our issue was they wanted this info in January of every year. Before we had kids, we were the type that would book our trip 1 month in advance. It forced us to take vacations when we didn't always want to vacation.

This was the main reason why she went casual and jumped onto my medical plan, even though it's a worse plan. She can take vacations whenever she wants now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Her insurance is better than mine, so that would kind of suck, but I'm tired of **** like this. The main reason she wants to go back for Christmas is that her grandparents aren't expected to live much longer than that - a fact that she's informed her boss. If it were me, I'd just say **** it and call out that week. Her boss can't afford to fire her, and everyone else on her team is borderline incompetent.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:21 pm

There is at least one other person in this thread whose company went that route, as well. I'd be interested in hearing how that has worked thus far.
It me. It's been good. I've taken a few more days than I used to be granted. I make sure to track it and know I'm using it right. I'm sure others take less now that there isn't a number they "have" to take. Like factorial said, it's all about having no accrued leave when people quit, and there's probably enough people taking less than they used to so they get more work out of people from the "perk." But really, if you stay on top of your work and actually use it, it is nice.
My last company was this. A lot of promotion around "unlimited vacation days." They got around that pretty well by shaming people who took a vacation if you took too many days, expected you to be available at nearly all times, and still kept track of it.

On the opposite end, it's a good perk that not nearly enough people used. I ended up taking less time overall, or right at what I thought was good enough, which was like 3 weeks. It's got positives and negatives.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:23 pm

When my wife was full time, they pulled similar crap with her. At least it was laid out as part of the plan. You pick your top 3 vacation weeks as well as top 3 holidays you don't want to work. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.

Our issue was they wanted this info in January of every year. Before we had kids, we were the type that would book our trip 1 month in advance. It forced us to take vacations when we didn't always want to vacation.

This was the main reason why she went casual and jumped onto my medical plan, even though it's a worse plan. She can take vacations whenever she wants now.
I feel like companies that ask this, do a very poor job of employee management in general.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:26 pm

lol, I book my vacation one year in advance, and her boss complains about that.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:36 pm

I just feel that if her boss is giving her that much grief about asking for more time to be with family, she isn't a good boss. That seems super depressing to need people to work that much, that you expect them to miss stuff like that.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:39 pm

I think her boss is still pissed over having her own work from home taken away recently. No excuse, though.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Yea, can't take that out on other employees. She could probably recognize it's likely a morale killer to lose WFH.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:08 pm

I’ve got feelers out at my company for her. If a spot opens up over here in her area, she’s guaranteed an interview.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Just had a dude self-impose a deadline for his piece of a project for the day before Thanksgiving, only to come to my office 5 minutes after he said it to tell me he won’t be able to make that deadline. How stupid are people?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Half of my group is in the Central time zone. So we're all cognizant of that when scheduling meetings. But we also have another office in a different location, also in the central time zone, that DGAF when scheduling meetings. So we have an all day conference from 9:45-5:45 on Thursday, because this office doesn't want to start before 9 local time. Start it at 8 local time, you rubes. At least let us go from 9-5. Oh well. Nice thing about having a kid is having to 'leave early to pick him up'.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:35 pm

So I haven't had to do marketing in a year or so. Every once in a while, my boss will bring me into sniff test a concept another marketer is requesting. Usually, I'm good with whatever asks and it makes sense.

Today, however, I ran into a person who seemed to react to me condescendingly, talking about this new strategy (that's a basic strategy), and how we should do this on our entire site, and all the traffic he's getting to his pages.

He showed numbers to me that seemed unnatural (being that I'm the analyst that reports on this stuff), so during the meeting, I actually checked them and had to ask him in front of his boss where he was getting this data from, what metrics he was using etc. I had never seen this before, and it just didn't make sense.

His boss started grilling him, and he spiraled into stumbling and bumbling, citing analytics issues, etc. At this point, I just assumed he fabricated it, and his boss championed it up the tree and ended today.

Had he not been a dick, I likely would have just said to prove it out more before prioritizing the work, but the number was so off, I didn't want to be bamboozled. Just felt weird. If he was lying, I just wonder if nobody had told him the process that usually I scope out the work and prioritize it into Agile teams. Oh well.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:48 pm

1. Never lie
2. If you're going to lie about things, don't do it near experts in that field that will call you out on that bullsh*t.

I check, recheck, and recheck my data and calculations because the idea of me putting forward incredible results and them getting busted somehow/someway terrifies me.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Same, I'm more terrified of being inaccurate than having a wrong idea because ultimately I never want to put my name on something to get caught in the situation he was in.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Attended my fourth meeting since 2015 to get my department's website overhauled. We've had three different VPs in charge of this department, and a new department director (who was fired back in August). So I get to repeat the same spiel to the fourth group of people over there.

In between, I got to spend nearly four hours doing basic receptionist work, because we are so short staffed.

How's your day going?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:24 pm

I have a phone interview with a company on Friday, and the Glassdoor projection for this position's salary at the company is... amazing. I just wonder how accurate that actually is, and if I should use it as a gauge of what to ask, if it comes up.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:32 pm

I imagine Glassdoor estimates to be similar to Zillow estimates. Not speaking from experience, it just gives that vibe.

Either way, if it's incredible, go for it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Yeah, I don't find Glassdoor to be particularly reflective of...anything...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:44 pm

the salary for my current position is within 10%.

This one is almost 45% higher than my current salary.