Job and General Employment Thread

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:44 pm

One positive of the pandemic might be that companies move away from "open" floor plans (aka the "super spreader" floor plan). We can hope.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:41 pm

Management gave an update on WFH that wasn't exactly clear, so I had to be the one to ask them to clarify specifically what their plans were for the future of WFH. If there's a vendor meeting, or some other big meeting where they'd like us to be on-site, we have to come in. Outside of that, effectively 100% remote. Talk is cheap, and I don't trust this person, but I choose to remain positive about it.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:45 pm

My three days per week of WFH ended when my boss demanded a promotion, gave an ultimatum, and left for an 8 day vacation. Now it looks like they are letting him stay until June, while I get groomed to take over.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:48 pm

So... congrats on the promotion?

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:52 pm

Pretty much, lol. I'm fighting now for his title and salary, since I plan to run the department myself. There isn't enough workload for an underling, so I'm gunning for the 25% gap between our current salaries.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:56 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Company wide e-mail...

Subject:
SOMEONE OWES ME A PEPSI

Body:

Someone removed a 20oz Pepsi from the engineering fridge. I was saving it to have with my lunch today.

It can be replaced ASAP

:lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm

Company wide e-mail...

Subject:
SOMEONE OWES ME A PEPSI

Body:

Someone removed a 20oz Pepsi from the engineering fridge. I was saving it to have with my lunch today.

It can be replaced ASAP

:lol:
To be fair, people who steal **** out of the company fridge deserve public shaming.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:38 pm

They do, but I guess there are some other circumstances here to be aware of, I suppose.

First, this fridge is in the basement of the building where only ~8 people pre-covid, 2 people now occupy that space. This is also the guy who has a daughter that goes to the same daycare as my daughter (different branch though) and when we were e-mailed about the very first Covid shut downs, he replied all (and yes, in all caps) "WILL WE BE REQUIRED TO PAY TUITION FOR THE TIME THAT THE FACILITIES ARE CLOSED?!?!?!"

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:43 pm

Are there vending machines at your facility? Would it really trouble this person for this one time to just purchase 1 Pepsi if it was so necessary with his/her lunch?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:45 pm

We do have a vending machine....

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Just chalk it up as a sign that Covid is almost behind us and crazy is back in business

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:59 pm

Haha okay so a company wide e-mail probably wasn't the best way to go about it. Maybe this guy is a turd but the bigger turd is the person who steals a damn Pepsi. He shouldn't have to buy another Pepsi.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 pm

Pepsi? The thief was doing that guy a favor. Hopefully be poured it down the drain

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Surprised he didn't follow up with "ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI"

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:19 pm

The "It can be replaced ASAP" line got me for some reason.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:20 pm

I feel bad for this guy. It's Friday, he may have had a **** week, he was probably looking forward to lunch and especially that Pepsi all morning.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:02 am

Had my performance review yesterday... 39/40. I knew I've done well but it went way better than I even expected. Also had a chance to check out our new office space... I've gotta say, it's really nice. HR has its own separate section in the back, and (oddly) my office is the only one with a window. My director doesn't even have one. That felt nice.

The latest news I heard on returning to the office is that it will likely not be until September as they are strictly following state guidelines. And even then, my director apparently told my colleague that she doesn't think we need to be in the office more than 3 days a week. I would take that and run with it.

Finally, my director asked me if I would like to attend the SHRM Conference this year. It is the second week of September, in Las Vegas. 2021 is looking up already.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am

Good stuff. Congrats!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:41 am

Excellent!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:15 am

Found out on Friday that one of the guys on my team was promoted. It's the first inline promotion that I can recall on my team, which rubbed a few people the wrong way since there were two others who should have been further up in line for that promotion - myself included. Personally, it didn't bother me because I've spent 0 seconds thinking about it, but one of the other guys on my team, he's pretty upset over it. He had been working on a plan for that position for over a year now with our previous boss. Went through all of the necessary steps, too - asked what he could do to earn that promotion, went out and did more than that, etc. Now he feels slighted, and I wouldn't be surprised if he really does start actively looking for another job now. Stuff like this is what can really break up a good team, IMO.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 pm

Does the guy who was promoted have a stronger relationship with leadership than the rest of you?

Lots of people do good work. Less people than that know how to make good work resonate with their bosses.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Does the guy who was promoted have a stronger relationship with leadership than the rest of you?

Lots of people do good work. Less people than that know how to make good work resonate with their bosses.
The guy who was promoted is very much a company man who doesn’t push any buttons. And I can’t answer the question because I’m not sure if it really is accurate that our previous boss started down this path. If he did, then yes, the guy who was promoted probably did have a stronger relationship because he was hired by this boss.

We all like the guy who was promoted, don’t get me wrong. But his area of knowledge and responsibility is such a small fraction compared to a lot of the rest of us. The stuff he’s responsible for is very minor, whereas the two of us have really big chunks of enterprise-wide systems that we’re solely responsible for.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:03 pm

I work with a lot of talented people. They stay talented associates until they figure out how important strategy is over task execution. Then they become talented managers. And if they don’t figure out a high strategic acumen, they stay where they are or they go somewhere else.

The challenge is when you’re excellent at executing tasks, and you become so inundated that you can’t lift your head up to develop next-level skills. Maybe that’s what’s happened at your place.

...or it’s some weird bias or a new manager misreading the talent pool.