Job and General Employment Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:03 pm

so the light switch in my office is kinda broke. Maybe it's not broke, but it's definitely not functioning the way that it should.
The motion detector part works and kicks the lights on. Problem is I like working with no lights since I have plenty of light coming in from the outside, so 90% of the time I'll turn the lights off as soon as I walk in.

But if I try to turn it off, it does nothing.
I have the opposite problem. There's some light coming in, but not enough to turn the lights on automatically. I try to force them on, but have to press the button a few times before it activates. Maybe a long press does the job?
well I kinda fixed it. If you tap both parts of the switch, it resets it but as soon as you make a move it jumps back on.

So what I did was put a stickynote over the sensor and it seems like it's doing the trick for now. I'm about to tape it so it never comes on.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Does anyone else work with a large number of people that are nearing retirement age, and you can't wait for them to retire? I have three colleagues - all in their late 60s, and one may be over 70 - that I literally can't wait for them to retire. They offer nothing, and their position would be so much better if held by someone 30 years younger.

Not every aged person I feel that way about - we had one faculty member just last year that retired that I wished was still here. And my old boss as well, to be honest.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:51 pm

I work in a pretty good workplace for a FedGov gig. That said, that demographic is starting to peel off in droves and we're pretty excited to see some fresh ideas starting to get put in high places. Unfortunately for a lot of the spots they're just getting filled with slightly less older people that were proteges of the old guard. I think we're getting there, though.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Recruiter told me to reach out to them if I hadn't heard by today. Hadn't heard, so I assume it's bad news and am preparing for the worst, which is a "no thanks, we're going in another direction."
The optimistic take on it is that you are second in line and they are awaiting a decision from their frontrunner. That happened to me and they reached out to me a few weeks after I thought they had forgotten about me.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 pm

Recruiter told me to reach out to them if I hadn't heard by today. Hadn't heard, so I assume it's bad news and am preparing for the worst, which is a "no thanks, we're going in another direction."
The optimistic take on it is that you are second in line and they are awaiting a decision from their frontrunner. That happened to me and they reached out to me a few weeks after I thought they had forgotten about me.
So recruiter reached out. Said they were making decision today and they’d let me know. The way corporate works is always a few days delayed.

There’s still hope.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Does anyone else work with a large number of people that are nearing retirement age, and you can't wait for them to retire? I have three colleagues - all in their late 60s, and one may be over 70 - that I literally can't wait for them to retire. They offer nothing, and their position would be so much better if held by someone 30 years younger.

Not every aged person I feel that way about - we had one faculty member just last year that retired that I wished was still here. And my old boss as well, to be honest.
There’s one guy in our group over 45 (I’m the second oldest at 44). He’s 67 or so, and when he retires we’re screwed. Guy has a wealth of knowledge regarding an aging technology that second and third world countries still use to this day. Nobody else knows the slightest bit about this stuff.

They’ve tried to have him train me but a) we’re both too busy, b) he cannot give a short answer on anything making any training session last three times as long as it should and c) maybe they just want the technology to retire with him

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:28 pm

Ya boy got the job, and is moving on up within the company.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:28 pm

:fist: :thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:29 pm

Congrats, @meow.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:29 pm

Thanks

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:37 pm

good job @Morkle

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:40 pm

*happy dance*

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:46 pm

There’s one guy in our group over 45 (I’m the second oldest at 44). He’s 67 or so, and when he retires we’re screwed. Guy has a wealth of knowledge regarding an aging technology that second and third world countries still use to this day. Nobody else knows the slightest bit about this stuff.

They’ve tried to have him train me but a) we’re both too busy, b) he cannot give a short answer on anything making any training session last three times as long as it should and c) maybe they just want the technology to retire with him
That story reminds me a lot of those dudes who had to come out of retirement to salvage all of the overwhelmed State Unemployment software running on systems from the 90s or whatever

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:55 pm

When I got hired at 20th Century Fox, the contract management system was a DOS-based software. We had to upgrade first to Windows, then do another upgrade to get to the then-current 32-bit spec. Was pain, but I got 2 trips to London out of the deal, so win for Tif. I can't imagine dealing with stuff that's that old. Reminds me of the store manager from The Last Blockbuster who has to scavenge boards and cards from 25 year old IBM computers to rent DVDs to people in Oregon.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:07 pm

That story reminds me a lot of those dudes who had to come out of retirement to salvage all of the overwhelmed State Unemployment software running on systems from the 90s or whatever
My guess is those systems running on mainframes and coded in COBOL go back to the early 1970's.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Now a new set of imposter syndrome can set in and the anxiety gets to start all over again. Whatever, had my current position not dicked around so much, it wouldn't have forced my hand. Oh well, bigger and better.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Awesome, Morkle. Was hoping you wouldn't have to go back to the old boss with your tail tucked. :thumb:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:13 pm

Awesome, Morkle. Was hoping you wouldn't have to go back to the old boss with your tail tucked. :thumb:
Humblebrag, I've never not interviewed for a position and didn't get it. I'm 5/5 currently. Fortunate though that I've never had to interview under stress either. I always go in treating them like conversations and let the ol morkle charm shine through.

I think that's where my imposter syndrome starts though, like, do I believe my own BS enough to convince others, knowing it's BS?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:33 pm

Nice :thumb:

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:35 pm

Congrats!

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Will say though, internal interviews are my least favorite knowing the risk of failure and having to tell people, etc.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:46 am

Congrats Mork!

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:37 pm

Congrats to you, Morkle. I am also an imposter syndrome person. I can whip myself into a frenzy and get anxious about a job I have done for 14 years. I think I will be like that until the day I retire - it's just how I'm built. Like, I need a certain level of anxiety to perform. I also think it's because I have a relatively high "care level" when it comes to my job - not sure why, maybe how I was raised. And it's interesting that at my workplace, there are varying degrees of care level - from very low to very high - yet we're all still here. Makes me the dummy, I guess.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 pm

Anyone have a way for excel to export data from emails? Trying to automate the influx of leads into a spreadsheet.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:31 pm

Outlook has an export to Excel function I think...maybe not any more (?) but it used to...