Job and General Employment Thread

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:56 pm

Welp, just completed my first ever active shooter training for work. Yay!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:02 pm

Big fan of sitting in silence at work lunch. Big fan of sitting by myself. Big fan of not even asking personal friends to join me.

Now that I'm WFH - I practice the same deal, even with the wife lol.
I used to go out to lunch with one of my buddies just about every day, and we'd always eat away from the office, which is what most of us prefer. As for home? Wife sits downstairs and watches TV, while I chill out on my bed watching TV. Works perfectly for both of us.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:04 pm

I think I’ve done a decent job updating my resume. It’s hard not to get so far in the weeds with technical details, and I think cutting it down to a single page helps. More than half of the page is work history… for two jobs.

That said, I’d be lying if I’m not worrying more about making a move right now with uncertainty in the economy. Sounds like a position wouldn’t be opening up for a number of months, so I guess that could be a blessing in disguise.
Resumes are among the dumbest thing in the corporate world. They’re nothing but lies because it’s unverifiable for people at the new company. Stuff like “increased productivity by 90% by introducing new processes” or whatever other dumb ****

Recruiting people are a scourge and resumes are an example why
I never lie on mine, because I expect to be called out on anything I have written down - much like I do when I'm one of the interviewers. I'm still shocked at how often people list a skill on their resume, but when you ask them about it, their experience is usually "I logged into that system once". Had one guy who couldn't even describe what the system actually did.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:10 pm

You don't need training, the police will intervene and protect you.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:15 pm

How many did you get before they stopped you?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:21 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/plann ... kers-think

Planning a 2-week vacation getaway? Experts say workers should think again
On the surface, the thought of taking two weeks off from work for an extended vacation may seem like a dreamy break from all the pressures of work.

But before you book that two-week trip, there’s more to consider than merely being off the clock for 10 work days at once.

The truth is that a two-week vacation can be a direct trip to hassles and work headaches that will await you when you return from all that extended fun and sun.

Consider the advice of some experts before locking in a two-week getaway (unless it's for something very, very special — read on!)
This might be the most tone deaf article I’ve read in quite some time, which I guess is par for the course for Fox News.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:09 pm

I’m one week away from taking a two week vacation. I can’t wait.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:31 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/plann ... kers-think

Planning a 2-week vacation getaway? Experts say workers should think again
On the surface, the thought of taking two weeks off from work for an extended vacation may seem like a dreamy break from all the pressures of work.

But before you book that two-week trip, there’s more to consider than merely being off the clock for 10 work days at once.

The truth is that a two-week vacation can be a direct trip to hassles and work headaches that will await you when you return from all that extended fun and sun.

Consider the advice of some experts before locking in a two-week getaway (unless it's for something very, very special — read on!)
This might be the most tone deaf article I’ve read in quite some time, which I guess is par for the course for Fox News.

I'm taking my 2 week paternity leave July 5 through the 19. With the fourth holiday I'll be off for 17 consecutive days. It'll be GLORIOUS

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:18 am

I’m one week away from taking a two week vacation. I can’t wait.
One day away here.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:36 am

I have work hassles waiting for me after one day off. At that point, pile on the hassles and take two weeks.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:43 am

Got a call last night from my friend who I've mentioned recently saying that the position she was referring to just opened up. Going to talk to their lead engineer later this morning about everything. Even having this conversation is easier now, after logging in and seeing the **** show from just yesterday at my current job. When you start feeling down the moment you login for work... it's a sign.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:10 am

Beautiful Friday and my calendar is clear. Trigger the old wfh dilemma- do I (allegedly) put the time in and get some stuff done since I have no (scheduled) interruptions or do I tell the boss, eff it, I’m taking the day off?

Having to be home since the contractor is here makes the decision to do the former a little easier…..

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:19 am

Beautiful Friday and my calendar is clear. Trigger the old wfh dilemma- do I (allegedly) put the time in and get some stuff done since I have no (scheduled) interruptions or do I tell the boss, eff it, I’m taking the day off?

Having to be home since the contractor is here makes the decision to do the former a little easier…..
I'd block out my calendar in outlook and keep my phone near me in case anything blew up, but otherwise do what I wanted for the day. That is what I am basically doing today myself haha.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:26 am

I'd block out my calendar in outlook and keep my phone near me in case anything blew up, but otherwise do what I wanted for the day. That is what I am basically doing today myself haha.
I block every Friday 3-5 anyway for “weekly catch-up.” People in Texas who don’t know/care where I live tend to throw late Friday stuff out there.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:28 am

I block every Friday 3-5 anyway for “weekly catch-up.” People in Texas who don’t know/care where I live tend to throw late Friday stuff out there.
Heh. I do the same thing on Fridays from like 1-4... just put "backlog" in outlook. If anyone schedules a meeting that isn't something that is an absolute emergency on a Friday afternoon...it gets ignored.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:35 am

Found out that Outlook can send encrypted emails. Had to change my W4s and payroll required they be sent via encrypted email. Pretty cool.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:50 am

With regard to the vacation article, depending on how much vacation you have, I do agree with the notion that you don't want to use all of your vacation time in one swoop. If you are just starting and only have 2 or 3 weeks of vacation, and take a 2 week vacation, then you either have no more, or only one week to use the rest of the year.

My wife and I both have 5+ weeks now, so it's not a big deal, but I always (and still do) enjoy breaking that up throughout the year. We'll take our 1 week family vacation, but then do a bunch of long weekend type of trips or fun things throughout the year. Just gives us something to look forward to multiple times throughout the year. But everyone is different.

As for the other points, I'm one that will check my email in the morning while I'm eating breakfast and waiting for the kids to move, so I clear out a lot, answer easy stuff, and leave the longer projects for either when I get back, or delegate to my team.

Everything else they point out, I don't think it should affect you or disuade you from taking a long vacation. To me, that is management style. I would feel comfortable with my team if either I or someone on my team took a 2 week vacation, because we have a good relationship, we cover for each other, and feel like we've built a culture of work life balance and the importance of that. Unfortunately, as stated in the article, you'll have some managers that are dicks and will do stuff to make it backfire on you. Those people blow.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:53 am

Or. Or. We could let people do whatever the **** they want with the time off they earned

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:57 am

Or. Or. We could let people do whatever the **** they want with the time off they earned
The only acceptable answer.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:01 am

I agree with this. Unfortuately it's not reality with a lot of management, hence why those people blow.

Edit: The only thing I ever ask is for enough of a heads up if you are going to be out a long time so we can plan for coverage while you are gone.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:20 am

I had a manager come to me that one of his reports wanted to take 8 weeks off to go home to Ethiopia to see his family he hasn’t seen in 4 years. I said great, tell him to enjoy it and forget about this place. The manager said he wanted the report to work one day a week because his team was down two architects. I said hell no.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:26 am

I had a manager come to me that one of his reports wanted to take 8 weeks off to go home to Ethiopia to see his family he hasn’t seen in 4 years. I said great, tell him to enjoy it and forget about this place. The manager said he wanted the report to work one day a week because his team was down two architects. I said hell no.
Yep, something similar, but it was 4 weeks and it was Turkey last year. Although she did log on and work while she was over there to "keep up", but that was all on her. I told her to forget about this place and enjoy here trip and visit family and friends, but she wanted nothing to do with it. To each their own. I wasn't going to fight it. But I wasn't mandating it.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:42 am

The best leaders are the people that remember what it was like being a worker bee

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:49 am

I very much tell people when they take PTO to forget about this place. I usually get "we'll I'll be around and check emails and things." I ALWAYS follow up with telling them that my expectation is that they have a great PTO and forget about work, and them working is their own expectation and not mine.

I made it very clear to myself and others when I became management that PTO/Time Away/Breaks are incredibly sacred.

I don't follow the rule myself and check/respond to emails so I don't drown on the small things, much like NAN, but I am very clear with people who report to me that I'm the exception, not the rule.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:54 am

The only time I've worked during PTO was after New Years this year, due to a deadline and the ability to start on said work until 1/1.