Job and General Employment Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 pm

Good luck, you'll land on your feet @MalkinIsMyHomeboy. Sorry to hear that :thumbdown:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 pm

Listening to our town hall, and they announced new changes to the return to office initiative. Currently, those who are assigned to an office are there 50% of the time. Basically, 3 days one week, 2 the next, etc. It is now 3-days per week, with Tuesday and Wednesday being mandatory in-office. Can't imagine that people are going to be happy with that change.
Nope. I go in on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that is the perfect balance for me personally. They are also overhauling our office (we have the entire top floor) and it looks like the BS collaborative desk setup, where you are sitting right next to someone on either side and have virtually no personal space.

That said, I'm glad I am in recruiting since we really can't work in that setup because of how often we are on the phone, it would sound like a call center to external candidates. Not to mention the confidential nature of a lot of what we do. We will have traditional high cubes I think.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm

That blows, MIMH. Good luck on the search, I’m sure you’ll find something better soon enough.

This thread is turning into the Pet Thread 2.0.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 pm

Listening to our town hall, and they announced new changes to the return to office initiative. Currently, those who are assigned to an office are there 50% of the time. Basically, 3 days one week, 2 the next, etc. It is now 3-days per week, with Tuesday and Wednesday being mandatory in-office. Can't imagine that people are going to be happy with that change.
Nope. I go in on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that is the perfect balance for me personally. They are also overhauling our office (we have the entire top floor) and it looks like the BS collaborative desk setup, where you are sitting right next to someone on either side and have virtually no personal space.

That said, I'm glad I am in recruiting since we really can't work in that setup because of how often we are on the phone, it would sound like a call center to external candidates. Not to mention the confidential nature of a lot of what we do. We will have traditional high cubes I think.
That’s one of the complaints I’ve heard from people who do go in - the cubes are those half height ones where basically every wound travels across the floor with ease.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 pm

We had an open work space setup back pre covid when I went in 3 days a week. It was an awful setup and I hated it. I just put on headphones all day to drown out the noise.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 am

Good luck MIMH. Tough breaks all over, ugh.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 am

Listening to a conference call about skills development. Left my office to get a snack. Come back in and the first thing I hear is “we are calling them champions”

Fuq me. And champions. And COEs. And SMEs. Ugh.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 pm

We call our COEs Dojos now :face:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm

I enjoy hearing people say "smee", because the only thing I picture in my head when I hear it is this:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:20 pm

Our CEO's title is "Head Coach". It's stupid.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm

the last couple of posts really make me want to get back into the corporate world

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 pm

the last couple of posts really make me want to get back into the corporate world
Just hunker down, create the app “Nip Alert,” and enjoy life.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 pm

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 pm

What's your North Star though?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 pm

I need you guys to look for synergies while staying in your swim lanes and being careful not to reinvent the wheel. we can circle back for a touch base next week

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:17 pm

meow, you joke, but I worked with a guy who used buzzwords every third word, in every sentence he ever spoke.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

Sounds like he was a real rockstar.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 pm

"I'll give you 15 minutes back. No you won't, those are my 15 minutes, you're just not going to steal them.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 pm

Whoever invented the “giving you time back” can take a long walk off a short pier.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 pm

I hate the phrase as well but it makes sense. They scheduled a meeting, they are taking your time. Then they give it back instead of simplifying your everyday routines while looking for efficiencies in your processes, and of course making sure you’re using best practices in all facets of your day.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:32 pm

No one should sound ever act so magnanimous over something so stupid. F that phrase

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:36 pm

I've ended friendships over the use of this word

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:42 am

I've ended friendships over the use of this word
You did the right thing, sir.

At my last job, we had a manager who did nothing but speak in buzzwords. We didn't pick up on it right away, or maybe she didn't use them as much as she did after her promotion. But once more people picked up on it, people would actually take notes on what words she used. Her meetings got to the point where it was 90% fluff and phrases and maybe 10% useful information.

But her top five? These aren't in order but they were the ones that were in regular rotation.

Arrow pointing upward/downward. She had to steal this from somebody else in the office. I feel that this is more of a Tomlinism that was used in a different meeting that she was in. Nonetheless, she loved using this phrase whenever something was good or bad.
Airplane view. This one confused me the first few times I heard it. It was supposed to mean an overhead view but stepping back and looking at it from far away. I hated this phrase. I still hate this phrase. Luckily, I haven't heard this phrase since I left that job.
Hack or hacking, but not used in the traditional definition of hacking. Finding a little known option in our ticketing system is not a hack. A shortcut in Excel is not a hack.
Synergy. Everything to her had potential of synergy or multiple synergies.

and of course, Rockstar. Everybody was a rockstar. I think the only people she didn't call rockstars were actual touring rockstars.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:43 am

Had a phone screen with an HR rep yesterday afternoon. It seemed like it went well. But when it came to compensation I had something that didn't happen before. I gave them a number and they countered with "would you be willing to take less?"

Should I take that as that I'm in the ballpark but came in a little higher than they expected, or should I take it as they could be potentially lowballing me and should brace for a cheap counteroffer?

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 am

Had a phone screen with an HR rep yesterday afternoon. It seemed like it went well. But when it came to compensation I had something that didn't happen before. I gave them a number and they countered with "would you be willing to take less?"

Should I take that as that I'm in the ballpark but came in a little higher than they expected, or should I take it as they could be potentially lowballing me and should brace for a cheap counteroffer?
You’re high on your number if we’re asking that. That said, if offered, counter with a higher ask regardless.