NTP66

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:11 pm

I’m with Shyster on this.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Open office update!

It's been 2 or 3 months since we moved into the new open office space and people are already realizing that open offices are horrible. The glass walls of the new meeting rooms, which were intended to make the space feel more open, are basically fish bowls and those inside the fish bowl are constantly distracted. Duh. So all glass walls are now in the process of having an opaque vinyl covering installed on them.

A few staff members are also currently testing "Do not disturb" lights. Which is literally a red LED light clipped to the top of the cube. How **** stupid is that?

So yeah, it's going swimmingly.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:20 pm

LED light cubes? @DigitalGypsy66, get your coworkers to create some more mission critical signs and send them to nocera.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:21 pm

We're making a similar move in three months...not excited.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 pm

How hard is it to say "Hey, you know, I'm in the middle of something but I'll get back to you in about an hour" when someone comes to your cube?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Passive aggressive > direct, but potential conflict/rejection

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Open office update!

It's been 2 or 3 months since we moved into the new open office space and people are already realizing that open offices are horrible. The glass walls of the new meeting rooms, which were intended to make the space feel more open, are basically fish bowls and those inside the fish bowl are constantly distracted. Duh. So all glass walls are now in the process of having an opaque vinyl covering installed on them.

A few staff members are also currently testing "Do not disturb" lights. Which is literally a red LED light clipped to the top of the cube. How **** stupid is that?

So yeah, it's going swimmingly.
We had those at my last job. Ours were sync'ed to our Outlook calendars, and while they were kinda nice they were the equivalent of a blinking stop light where people just blew through the warning anyways.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:45 am

"I'm busy right now, can you send my team a ticket for the work?"

So I do just that, and include every piece of information required to complete the task. Why the hell am I now receiving an e-mail reply to the ticket asking for the information that's actually inside the ticket? I know they opened the damn thing because they include affected computer names, which I only put inside the ticket.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:40 pm

A senior guy on my team who is awesome and trained me put in his two weeks notice. He had a ton of work that will be spread around.

His last day is one day after our interim manager leaves the company (he just joined the company in May) and five days after our new manager (from outside the company) starts. So much change. Feels tumultuous..I’ve only been here eight months. I’ve kind of felt deflated all day

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:28 am

The executive that wouldn't budge on his mandate that my wife could only work from home once per week if she took that management job is responsible for the Application group's new work off-site policy, stipulating that everyone must be on-site three days per week. So if a holiday lands on a Monday, you are only able to take 1 work from home day that week. This dude is a massive NTP66, and it's no wonder his family hates him (that's true, BTW).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:25 am

I don't have to spend a dime on food today...

Breakfast: company is doing their yearly blood test for cholesterol and glucose levels. Had to fast for 12 hours before the draw so they provided breakfast.
Lunch: I'm doing a company wide presentation and lunch is provided.
Dinner: Going to fundraiser/dinner that also has trivia. $150 a plate, but my boss bought a table like he did last year and he invited me back to this year's competition.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am

The executive that wouldn't budge on his mandate that my wife could only work from home once per week if she took that management job is responsible for the Application group's new work off-site policy, stipulating that everyone must be on-site three days per week. So if a holiday lands on a Monday, you are only able to take 1 work from home day that week. This dude is a massive NTP66, and it's no wonder his family hates him (that's true, BTW).
It makes me so mad that work from home policies are not more wide spread. It literally helps SO MUCH and costs a company NOTHING.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am

Four day weeks would be nice, too. I'd love to work four tens.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:20 am

Companies are embracing it more and more these days, but leadership at my wife's work is archaic, and it shows in their work.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:21 am

It must be the industry I work in, but work from home, 4 day work week, and 9/80 schedules have been shot down vehemently everywhere I've worked. Being closely involved with manufacturing will do that.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am

uh...

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm

uh...
If that's for my brief post that was gone in sixty seconds, I'll DM it if needed.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:39 pm

Now I need to know what was posted.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:56 pm

No need iamjs. It was in relation to your post, but just a snark comment.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:35 pm

well don't hold back, or was it a quote related to the removed post?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Both of you repost your posts so that the rest of us can enjoy.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:59 pm

It was related to iamjs' post. Here's the jist of it

He said something about a former boss calling it quits without a 2 weeks notice. The boss calls iamjs to tell him the news.

I asked iamjs if he was recruited and how much they were offering

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:16 pm

That was not nearly as juicy as it seemed.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm

We had an IT director that couldn't deal with his VP, so he cleaned out his office after hours and emailed his immediate resignation to the HR director.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Sometimes when we onboard new clients, we send someone out to scan their files into our system. This was out in Michigan early last week. We typically send a rather un-technical person out to do it (it is only scanning after all, but still there's so many people that could troubleshoot remote issues/VPN stuff blah blah blah)...

So in a meeting we discussed it and I said, "hey, not at the beginning of this week, but Sunday thru Tuesday I can go because I could go hit up The Program which is right there anyhow...kill two birds and you'll end up with someone faster with more tech savvy to do it"

They balked at the idea. Ok, sounds good. I'll live.

Found today, the person that scanned thousands and thousands of documents (besides the fact that they were all sideways and scanned as .tif files like a lunatic) but also somehow scanned them all with a trial version of the software they were supposed to be using (or a different software all together, not clear which) so now every single page as a big rubber stamp of "demo" written on it...

I'll assume there's no way to undo that after the fact...but even if there is, this is why you don't send idiots when non-idiots volunteer themselves to do a better job...suck my suck...