Job and General Employment Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:30 pm

My first ever paycheck was something like $54. I cashed it and went to the mall and bought a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers for $50.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:23 am

Mine was $87 and I bought floor mats for my focus ZX3

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm

Wow...I was actually just given a "spot bonus" for just figuring out a pretty complex problem at work. This new management went from super evil before they really met me, into "are they actually serious about changing things for the better here?" into "oh my gosh...they are...?!?!"

I'm legitimately surprised. Pleasantly so.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:56 pm

Went into the office today for a variety of nonsense but basically to meet the other local remote members of my tema face to face as a new manager was hired last week. It's been years since I've been downtown midday so it could just be recency bias, but boy does it seem sketchy as **** now.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:03 pm

Went into the office today for a variety of nonsense but basically to meet the other local remote members of my tema face to face as a new manager was hired last week. It's been years since I've been downtown midday so it could just be recency bias, but boy does it seem sketchy as **** now.
Better tweet at DK and let him know.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:12 pm

Better tweet at DK and let him know.
Drove past his storefront. If he had anything valuable that place would be robbed frequently.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:14 pm

There are signs of life on grant. Market square is just as suspect as it has always been .....so not gr8 not horrible. Stanwix is ok. The innards of town right now are tangibly shittier than they were pre pandemic. Wood st fifth Smithfield Forbes all blow. The streets smell, everyone is yelling at each other or at least yelling at nothing at all. Sixth and Smithfield bus stop is somehow worse than it was pre pandemic.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:17 pm

Not really great further up either. A lot more panhandlers near the Greyhound terminal.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:29 pm

The only saving grace about the Penn liberty corridor up by the federal building is the fact that the storefronts are mostly occupied bu worthwhile businesses.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:12 am

Not really great further up either. A lot more panhandlers near the Greyhound terminal.
I've never seen beggars in Pgh outside of Oakland (the "Help me PLEASE!" guy).

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:10 am

I read this morning that the last McDonald's downtown is closing (the one near Market Square). I didn't realize all the others had gone either.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 am

The Nicholas coffee dynasty bought that McDonalds so hopefully they put the space to good use.

I wonder where all the recovering drug addicts are going to hang out if that mickey d's goes away

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:58 am

I was driving down Penn Ave yesterday trying to get to Children's hospital and had to poop. I stopped at the getgo right in (?) Wilkinsburg. Would advise against ever stopping there. And they didn't even have a bathroom.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:00 am

Just hearing word that I'm going to have to finally let the person go on my team next week. First time ever having to do it, so I'm stressed about.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:03 am

That sucks, man. I can't recall, what's going on with that person?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:08 am

I was driving down Penn Ave yesterday trying to get to Children's hospital and had to poop. I stopped at the getgo right in (?) Wilkinsburg. Would advise against ever stopping there. And they didn't even have a bathroom.
The few occasions I drive into the office I drive down Penn to get to bakery square and that whole stretch before you to like Point Breeze is really shady haha.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:40 am

Just hearing word that I'm going to have to finally let the person go on my team next week. First time ever having to do it, so I'm stressed about.
Dude, that sucks, especially if they are a good person/worker. I've been fortunate I've never had to do that either, and would be freaking out too.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:42 am

I read this morning that the last McDonald's downtown is closing (the one near Market Square). I didn't realize all the others had gone either.
That McDonalds is pooh too. Also the one where some random dude stabbed a 12 year old in the neck waiting in line a few years ago. I always felt dirty going into that one.

Didn't realize the one up by Wood street (or around that area) closed. That one was better, but still not the greatest.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:45 am

Was it the Wood Street McDonald's where they were selling heroin in Happy Meals? The fake Burger King in the South Side remains the best fast food place this city has seen.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:48 am

Was it the Wood Street McDonald's where they were selling heroin in Happy Meals? The fake Burger King in the South Side remains the best fast food place this city has seen.
Ha, maybe. After a while, I stayed away from all the fast food places when I worked downtown. All were shady. Do they still have the Arby's down there?

I haven't been downtown in a while.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 am

Didn't see an Arby's but then again I wasn't actively trying to get diarrhea yesterday so I might have just ignored it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:52 am

The Arby's on liberty is still there

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:20 am

Dude, that sucks, especially if they are a good person/worker. I've been fortunate I've never had to do that either, and would be freaking out too.
They're good people, and a good worker. The reason I'm being given is that they're too high up band wise, and they're doing a specific amount of repeatable work that could be done for much cheaper. I actually understand it from the business POV, doesn't mean I like it at all.

The unfortunate thing, is that I've worked with this person to try and get them to take on more strategic stuff, which is exactly what the business wants, but he just hasn't grown, and he's 1000% comfortable doing the work he does because it's relative easy, he doesn't need to be involved on calls, and he can work at his own pace. So in a way, he's made himself expendable in a time where people are looking for that.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:26 am

Lay that out, what you just said there...you start with that, but be concise. Because as soon as they get the sense of where this is going, it's going to be that ringing in the ears kinda sound...they're not gonna hear anything. Get your two or three sentences in, "and for that reason, we're gonna have to let you go...purely a business decision, nothing personal."

Then, just don't match their energy. Their energy could go anywhere, it's probably gonna go way up. It could be like the first ten minutes of a road playoff game, you just gotta eat a few shifts. Then they'll punch themselves out, "hey, I'm sorry...there's nothing I can do about it." And bam, it's over.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:34 am

Good advice. Ya boy had more experience letting people go than I’d like. My two cents is to be truthful and be concise. The truthful part is extremely important. “This came from up top. Your skill set hasn’t expanded. Yada yada yada”

Don’t be afraid of any silences that occur. No two of these are ever the same, so it is tough to give pointers to folks