Job and General Employment Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:43 pm

Ouch. What sector of tech is this?
Not to be glib but this is part of the reason I'm okay taking a less than competitive salary in exchange for the rock hard stability that comes with FedGov employment. I missed the 2008 crash because I was in the military and I can't foresee any reason why I won't weather the coming recession in a similar way.
At my age, I'm right there with you. Even though I'm really frustrated at work, I wouldn't jump ship to a sector that has been vulnerable in the past like this. The friend I was mentioned a few days ago works in the health insurance provider sector, and I think they've extremely stable, too. I'd consider a jump if a position opened.
I mentioned my buddy from work is thinking about jumping ship to a bank. Making a lot more money but it's a six-month tryout contract. Yeaaaaahhhhhh, noooooooooooooooooo.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:47 pm

Especially since your company prevents 3rd parties from actually servicing the equipment, which is a major issue... Not that I blame you.
You can blame me if you want haha.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:52 pm

Ouch. What sector of tech is this?
Not to be glib but this is part of the reason I'm okay taking a less than competitive salary in exchange for the rock hard stability that comes with FedGov employment. I missed the 2008 crash because I was in the military and I can't foresee any reason why I won't weather the coming recession in a similar way.
At my age, I'm right there with you. Even though I'm really frustrated at work, I wouldn't jump ship to a sector that has been vulnerable in the past like this. The friend I was mentioned a few days ago works in the health insurance provider sector, and I think they've extremely stable, too. I'd consider a jump if a position opened.
I mentioned my buddy from work is thinking about jumping ship to a bank. Making a lot more money but it's a six-month tryout contract. Yeaaaaahhhhhh, noooooooooooooooooo.
I will never work in the financial sector if I can help it, not worth the pain. Same goes for legal. The company my friend works at always starts out their staff as contractors, with the position switching to permanent after a year. They've done that for over a decade, and they swear it's all 100% guaranteed. Just the way they handle positions, hiring for projects and then converting them. Every once in a while they'll post a full time permanent role right out of the gate. This is one thing that still scares me right now.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:12 pm

My company, always pennywise and pound foolish, is at it again...

It seems like anyone who does drugs, sleeps through the day, or stands up on webcam meeting without undies on is promoted...while all of the loadbearing pieces are kicked around or given so much responsibility that they can't perform anything at 100%...

Back in January or February when I had my review - I'm the head of our background screening department AND our product owner, so I lead the entire company's software development team - thinking of and designing most of the new features myself...so, ya know, pretty important for the company's present and future...

So, I'm underpaid relative to the average of this position...but I had no experience, I just evolved into the role and it turns out that I've figured it out...things are going well, I can handle a bunch of projects, integrations, and everything all at once.

Now that I have a couple years of experience, added a certification, blah blah, now it's time to true me up here...

So, they said, "hey, the other side of the company might lose our FedGov contract, let's just see where it goes before we make big salary moves. Here's the date of the RFP just so it's not so vague." - I said, *sigh* all right, fair enough...

Waiting for, technically, another company to get a contract to decide what my raise might be is a little concerning in its own right...but whatever.

So, now we're 4 or 5 months later...we got the contract, it's a strong eight-digit number...they even hinted that they might want to use me to consult on that side of house because they're struggling and think I can solve it. Great, let's talk about it.

So, last week, my IT boss man goes, "uhh, yeah, so they said, uh, 3%" and before I could even take my whole breath in, he said, "I know, I know...I just walked out and I'm going to the CEO, just standby."

Naturally, I immediately started applying for jobs...because I'm not taking an inflation-adjusted-paycut for what I do. So I gave them my offer and told them the cost that it would be to replace me in two completely different positions, plus the people (perhaps it's just one person) that will leave when I leave...my offer to them (a 30+% raise) includes both a stupid tax and an insult tax, so it's actually higher than I even think it should be, but if I take my original number, they might not learn a lesson...

Anyhow, we'll see how it goes...I should hear at the end of the day today...but ol' mikey twotimes might be a free agent in a few hours.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:27 pm

Speaking of monitoring, it has been nearly 2 8 and a half years since I answered my work line. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm

Good luck mikey. If it doesn't work out you and MiMH can start an incubator.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:34 pm

It seems like anyone who does drugs, sleeps through the day, or stands up on webcam meeting without undies on is promoted...while all of the loadbearing pieces are kicked around or given so much responsibility that they can't perform anything at 100%...

Back in January or February when I had my review - I'm the head of our background screening department AND our product owner, so I lead the entire company's software development team - thinking of and designing most of the new features myself...so, ya know, pretty important for the company's present and future...

So, I'm underpaid relative to the average of this position...but I had no experience, I just evolved into the role and it turns out that I've figured it out...things are going well, I can handle a bunch of projects, integrations, and everything all at once.

Now that I have a couple years of experience, added a certification, blah blah, now it's time to true me up here...

So, they said, "hey, the other side of the company might lose our FedGov contract, let's just see where it goes before we make big salary moves. Here's the date of the RFP just so it's not so vague." - I said, *sigh* all right, fair enough...

Waiting for, technically, another company to get a contract to decide what my raise might be is a little concerning in its own right...but whatever.

So, now we're 4 or 5 months later...we got the contract, it's a strong eight-digit number...they even hinted that they might want to use me to consult on that side of house because they're struggling and think I can solve it. Great, let's talk about it.

So, last week, my IT boss man goes, "uhh, yeah, so they said, uh, 3%" and before I could even take my whole breath in, he said, "I know, I know...I just walked out and I'm going to the CEO, just standby."

Naturally, I immediately started applying for jobs...because I'm not taking an inflation-adjusted-paycut for what I do. So I gave them my offer and told them the cost that it would be to replace me in two completely different positions, plus the people (perhaps it's just one person) that will leave when I leave...my offer to them (a 30+% raise) includes both a stupid tax and an insult tax, so it's actually higher than I even think it should be, but if I take my original number, they might not learn a lesson...

Anyhow, we'll see how it goes...I should hear at the end of the day today...but ol' mikey twotimes might be a free agent in a few hours.
pretty bad when weenie is your mentor :pop:
Good luck. I went through this earlier in the year but somehow my company pulled a 360 and I got a 12.5% raise and a 25% retention bonus if I stay until 2024

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:39 pm

Anyone requesting just an inflation equalizer raise?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:41 pm

There is no chance Biden gives us an 11% raise. :lol:

Hoping they do some shenanigans with locality pay, though.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:51 pm

Speaking of monitoring, it has been nearly 2 8 and a half years since I answered my work line. :lol:

Funny this came up, because I just had someone call my work line thinking it was a pizza place (they swapped 2 of the first 3 digits)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:20 pm

Day 2 of coming into the office everyday this week to help orient an intern and this **** sucks. Unproductive as **** because the select few here want to small talk, need to walk all over gods green ass earth to find a meeting room so we can spend an hour circle jerking our way through what would have been a 15 minute Teams call, leaving for the office at the same time as when I usually roll out of bed and login. **** office work. Remote work for life.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:23 pm

Good luck. I went through this earlier in the year but somehow my company pulled a 360 and I got a 12.5% raise and a 25% retention bonus if I stay until 2024
That’s a 180, you dingus

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:28 pm

His way is funnier. It implies they did a complete and thorough review of the situation and then decided to shaft him anyway. ;)

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:35 pm

Anyone requesting just an inflation equalizer raise?
I've been in my current payband now since 2018. Which means annual raises of about 3%. I took a lateral in 2020, also right on the cusp of a promotion probably in 2021 had I stayed (additional 10%). Now it's 2022 and I'm still fighting for that promotion because the lateral position being in the same payband stagnated my career ladder. Even though that's exactly what laterals are designed not to do. I told my boss this last year, and this year again, he's fighting a little harder for a promotion for me. I'll find out in October.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:41 pm

Wow, I'm excited about my 3% raise next month. Ah, higher education. The gift that keeps on giving. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:44 pm

I was curious so I checked, but Congress is asking for 5.1% for our across-the-board January raise. Our biggest raise in 20 years. But it really only gets us halfway to the inflation number so I'm still effectively working for less.

That said, I get a 3% raise this July 4th and another next year at the same time, so if you cobble them all together it's not too shabby at around a $10k/yr increase.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:56 pm

Just got off the phone with a friend of mine who wanted to gauge my interest in making a move. Sounds like they may have a contractor position opening up on her team in the next few months, and it'd basically be mine to turn down if I wanted to leave. They apparently have a lot of people over there who remain contractors because of the pay, never converting to full time. I think I could roll with that, especially after hearing what kind of money they throw at their engineers. It'd almost be dumb to not run to them. The one thing I don't know is how retirement savings works if you're a contractor. It would suck if I could no longer contribute pre-tax dollars to a 401k/403b.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:01 pm

That’s a 180, you dingus
Hey kitty, it was a Clark Kent changing into Superman 360, OK? Sheesh

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:12 pm

What I did when I was a contractor was just roll one into the next. Annoying to go through that process over and over again but it comes with the territory.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:20 pm

I would leave my current 403b alone because of the great funds, but I'd really like to be able to contribute to a new one. I don't understand why we can't just open a solo 401k when your employer doesn't offer one. That makes no sense to me.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:08 pm

I was curious so I checked, but Congress is asking for 5.1% for our across-the-board January raise. Our biggest raise in 20 years. But it really only gets us halfway to the inflation number so I'm still effectively working for less.

That said, I get a 3% raise this July 4th and another next year at the same time, so if you cobble them all together it's not too shabby at around a $10k/yr increase.
I'll be protesting that pay increase. Us tax payers need to say no sometimes.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:37 pm

I would leave my current 403b alone because of the great funds, but I'd really like to be able to contribute to a new one. I don't understand why we can't just open a solo 401k when your employer doesn't offer one. That makes no sense to me.
It would be easier to establish a simplified employee pension (SEP plan)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:24 pm

Hmm, options are always good. This at least helps ease one of my concerns.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:25 pm

All right, it wasn't quite a flawless victory...but it was a victory. Didn't get a 30% raise, but did get 25%. I'm working on the tax implications of it, but it looks like a win and I'll likely take it...there is one employer that I reached out to - one that everyone has heard of - and I'd take an interview there...but I'm going to close up shop on the rest.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:27 pm

Well done, Mikey. Now blow it on more crypto that’ll continue crashing for the next year…