Meow didn't mention that it was actually a woman

NTP66

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:19 am

And that woman was meow.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:24 am

My dad's downtown employer reaffirmed their commitment to everyone being in the office at least one day a week starting in January. Managers were told they're being pressured by the city government and Chamber of Commerce to get more people downtown. I'm sure other downtown companies are receiving similar pressure.
Our company just did it nationwide to get everyone back in the office 4 days a week. It was only a few sites a couple of weeks ago, and now it's just been made global.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:27 am

My dad's downtown employer reaffirmed their commitment to everyone being in the office at least one day a week starting in January. Managers were told they're being pressured by the city government and Chamber of Commerce to get more people downtown. I'm sure other downtown companies are receiving similar pressure.
Our company just did it nationwide to get everyone back in the office 4 days a week. It was only a few sites a couple of weeks ago, and now it's just been made global.
Yikes. Four days a week? **** off.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:28 am

This downtown employee was told 3 days in 2 days out. In practice this means come in whenever you want.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:30 am

Morkle's company is going to have so much collaboration.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:30 am

Yikes. Four days a week? **** off.
Yea, someone mentioned it earlier, but I think it's an effort to downsize the workforce naturally. They're not even allowing for requests to WFH more than two days until next year.

It's probably the first time I've ever felt that was a really scummy thing to do, it's their right, but this directive came right after employee surveys, etc.

It would have been a lot different had they pulled that before satisfaction scores.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:33 am

Apparently I offended a guy at work because he asked me if I was keeping busy and I replied “man you have no idea.” He was offended enough to ask his boss, a director, to go to my boss, a SVP. The director showed he wasn’t an idiot and came directly to me about it instead of going to a SVP over something so stupid. I was very careful when talking to this director to not say “sorry” at any point because I’m certainly not sorry this manager has tissue paper for skin. Closest I said was “that’s unfortunate he got bend out of shape”

I’m not wrong here, am I? Is this a post for the I need a ruling on this thread?
Not wrong. That's just a common saying. Offended manager is a p*ssy.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:33 am

Source of the post It's probably the first time I've ever felt that was a really scummy thing to do, it's their right, but this directive came right after employee surveys, etc.
This is precisely why those employee engagement surveys have always been, and always will be, bullshit.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:37 am

Yup, I've been involved with 2 years worth of survey's now - and a leading problem is always money/inflation concerns - and almost every single year, it's completely glossed over and they pick quick wins.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:57 am

Back to work today after having been off since last Wednesday.

Had a one on one with my new manager (who I've interacted with in the past on other projects). I'm slightly less worried after chatting with him. There are going to be some changes on how we track things which is fine I guess. I just told him that myself and my teammate work well when people just leave us alone. He said our old manager told him we have things on autopilot and we just get stuff done. There is still certain things he wants tracked though....so whatever I guess.

I'm just worried that this manager is not just overseeing us and the overall interoperability team but kind of has a variety of engineers under his watch.

He certainly isn't going to champion us like our old boss did if for no other reason he can't focus on what we do with some many other engineers doing different things in his group.

Really can't do anything about it though, happy to have a job, and myself and my teammate will just keep doing what we do.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:28 pm

I just realized that our all staff Christmas party this year is just a gathering in the on-site cafe. In the two years before Covid, we had a party at Jergels. Before that was a fancy banquet at a hotel. This year it's at the office and they've asked employees to bake cookies. They even sent out a survey. "How many dozens of cookies will you be baking?" with the choice being 1 through 4. I went ahead and declined the invite.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:56 pm

I just realized that our all staff Christmas party this year is just a gathering in the on-site cafe. In the two years before Covid, we had a party at Jergels. Before that was a fancy banquet at a hotel. This year it's at the office and they've asked employees to bake cookies. They even sent out a survey. "How many dozens of cookies will you be baking?" with the choice being 1 through 4. I went ahead and declined the invite.
Yeah, that's an easy decline.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:58 pm

Seriously if they questioned it after a decline, I'd say the extra responsibility, and cite the past two parties.

If they even say hard times, just nope out of it lol.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:00 pm

I don't do work christmas parties no matter where they are.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:02 pm

We used to have some awesome ones back in the day, but that ended long ago when they started bringing them on-site. Those have always been lame.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:09 pm

a free lunch is a free lunch. if they're making you bring in cookies, that's a nope

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:10 pm

Our Christmas parties were all after hours. If it was during business hours, back when I was in the office, more than likely I'd attend.

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm

Been a few years since we had a Christmas party, but it was a nice time. Building shut down at 11am, so it was essentially a half-day even if you noped out of attending.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:30 pm

I do remember back before I was in engineering and was in product support we had parties during the work day. Those were cool because we got out of doing work for half a day at least, and the company always provided good food.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:32 pm

At my last company, pre-covid, we had multiple parties. Some in the middle of the day (catered lunch at the Crystal Tea Room in Philly), others off-site and after hours.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:12 pm

I forgot to mention this bring your own cookies Christmas party is on a Friday. Nobody comes into the office on fridays.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Yeah, that's dumb. Ours were always on a Thursday.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:42 am

Just overheard on Mrs. Franchise's work call:

Boss: "Hey Brenda can you mute your phone?"
Brenda: "Well I want to be able to hear what you guys are saying...." :shock:

Brenda that's what mute does on the TV not on your phone.....

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:44 am

My lord. Can I fire Brenda?