Job and General Employment Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:00 pm

To each their own…

But if you are given more than you’d use, like me, a cash option would be nice.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:04 pm

Right, that's just it. Even I have learned to take time off... I had a Cal Ripken like streak at my job for a while...but it's still more time than I can use...so why would I not want the option to cash out the extra that will otherwise be plundered? Like, what's the debate here...?
Last edited by mikey on Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:04 pm

Using PTO and cashing it out is tops.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:55 pm

I'm very thankful that I kept my job amid these layoffs, but my manager got shuffled to another team/area, so now I'm getting the one boss that I didn't want.

I'm going to keep an open mind, but knowing this person from working with them in other capacities I am not hopeful overall. We shall see.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:56 pm

Beggar being a chooser up in here.

(That sucks, hope it works out.)

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:59 pm

Beggar being a chooser up in here.

(That sucks, hope it works out.)
Trust me as I was writing my post I realized that it came off as a first world problem compared to others in the company who got laid off. :(

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:01 pm

Nah, you're good. For a long time I worked under the same manager at my current job. Great guy, and we moved up and around together. Then I branched off somewhere else and the leadership really left a lot to be desired. Fortunately, I moved back under him recently so I was able to fix the glitch. Hope you can do the same.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:29 am

I worked all three days this week, and I've probably received 5-10 emails at most. Only 2 of them had responses from me.

Another blessing to working remote lol.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:43 am

@tifosi77 wants to walk around and personally say happy thanksgiving to everyone in the office...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:56 am

I answered one email this morning even though I was off since it was someone in Japan.

Now Im disconnected until Tuesday.
Last edited by skullman80 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:57 am

I answered one email this morning even though I was since it was someone in Japan.

Speaking of - everyone took this week off, I took next Monday off. I feel good about that decision as people tried to slam me with meetings for that day after everyone got back from PTO.

People that want meetings first day after a biggish break holiday wise, need to smarten up.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:14 am

I answered one email this morning even though I was since it was someone in Japan.

Speaking of - everyone took this week off, I took next Monday off. I feel good about that decision as people tried to slam me with meetings for that day after everyone got back from PTO.

People that want meetings first day after a biggish break holiday wise, need to smarten up.
Yeah taking Monday off is clutch I think. Your reason is the same reason I did it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:23 am

@tifosi77 wants to walk around and personally say happy thanksgiving to everyone in the office...
lol

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:27 am

Yeah taking Monday off is clutch I think. Your reason is the same reason I did it.
Same. Except people were smart enough not to schedule the meetings on Monday. My Tuesday will be busy though.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:29 am

I took Monday off since my boys have off school and my wife and I were both scheduled to work that day. Now I'm happy I did it for the same reasons listed above.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:41 am

Letting my folks go at noon today

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:44 am

We are cutting loose at 11am.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:10 am

I worked all three days this week, and I've probably received 5-10 emails at most. Only 2 of them had responses from me.

Another blessing to working remote lol.
I have a project that came up Friday that spilled to Monday and died; a vendor renewal that itself has seen two dozen emails and an impromptu Zoom; and the weekly Movie Club gathering. Rest of the time is spinning chairs.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:18 am

I've had at least two separate people at staffing agencies continually throw unsolicited invites on my calendar to catch-up and see how they could "help" me. That's an instant delete, and junk flag if I've ever seen one.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:08 am

Apparently I offended a guy at work because he asked me if I was keeping busy and I replied “man you have no idea.” He was offended enough to ask his boss, a director, to go to my boss, a SVP. The director showed he wasn’t an idiot and came directly to me about it instead of going to a SVP over something so stupid. I was very careful when talking to this director to not say “sorry” at any point because I’m certainly not sorry this manager has tissue paper for skin. Closest I said was “that’s unfortunate he got bend out of shape”

I’m not wrong here, am I? Is this a post for the I need a ruling on this thread?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:11 am

My dad's downtown employer reaffirmed their commitment to everyone being in the office at least one day a week starting in January. Managers were told they're being pressured by the city government and Chamber of Commerce to get more people downtown. I'm sure other downtown companies are receiving similar pressure.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:12 am

Is English not this other guy's first language? I don't see anything wrong with it at face value, unless he doesn't understand the idiom you used. Even then, those collection of words are not in the least bit offensive. Very soff colleague of yours regardless.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:12 am

Apparently I offended a guy at work because he asked me if I was keeping busy and I replied “man you have no idea.” He was offended enough to ask his boss, a director, to go to my boss, a SVP. The director showed he wasn’t an idiot and came directly to me about it instead of going to a SVP over something so stupid. I was very careful when talking to this director to not say “sorry” at any point because I’m certainly not sorry this manager has tissue paper for skin. Closest I said was “that’s unfortunate he got bend out of shape”

I’m not wrong here, am I? Is this a post for the I need a ruling on this thread?
Dude sounds like a dunce.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:13 am

I've read this 5 times and I still have no idea how to take offense to "man, you have no idea".

Only thing I can think of that makes any sense is he took it as saying you have no idea what it's like to keep busy, but that's a super reach.

This manager is either under 30 or a man child (or both). You are not wrong here.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:15 am

You should apologize immediately and buy him flowers