Job and General Employment Thread

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:35 pm

My lord. If I have to work a day over the age of 65, I’ll put a bullet in my brain. What’s the point of working all these years to work yourself into the grave?
I think some people just enjoy it or can't sit around at home.

I'm hoping to be done around 63 or so if I'm lucky enough to live that long. But I'll need to be doingn something else to keep me busy even if it's volunteer stuff. I can't just sit around.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:35 pm

I have a coworker who's pushing 70. I asked him once when he plans to retire and what he'd do. Basically said he's already doing what he loves, there's no point in retiring. Just hope I'm not the one to find him keeled over his keyboard someday.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 pm

Yikes to that

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:42 pm

Yeah. I ain't going out like that. My wife, who is mental, can retire in like 5 years (at 53 or so). 30 years of teaching, blah blah blah. Unless things get exponentially worse in K-12, she plans on going until I retire at 65 or 67. Mental!

She can get a full pension in 5 years...which now that she's in a higher paying district, her pension is based on the last 3 years average salary, which is substantially higher than it was at her previous district.

But seriously though - she really loves teaching. This year has been tough - thrown into an impossible situation, with the worst behaving student in the school of 1200 - but she really does love what she does. That's remarkable to do something you love doing and get paid for it.

The rest of us just show up and do what we do, I guess. :lol:

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:51 pm

My AP/Payroll accountant is 83. She does amazing work and loves it.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:56 pm

Imma work till they pay me to go away. Easy peasy.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:10 pm

**** that, aiming for 55, will settle for 59 and not a day later.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:13 pm

BTW, Thermo Fisher I heard is making people go back 4 days a week in office because they feel too many people have "quiet quit" their jobs.

I'm going to guess they are the first of many to use this excuse.
I'm sure it depends on the position... my neighbor works for them full time remote.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:39 pm

I’m envious of the people who want to work until they die. I don’t think there’s a job I’ll ever be truly happy with. I guess it’s be fun to do software development for a non-profit for like 20 hours a week but that would be more volunteer work than anything else

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:48 pm

So long as they don't ask you to keep your time.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:57 pm

I doubt the CEO with take deadline recommendations from a volunteer

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm

y’all dodints need more self respect

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:08 pm

My dream job was to always own my own video store. Just rent movies to people all day and chill. I'd do that till I keeled over. Obviously video stores aren't a thing anymore which sucks.

Giant Eagle video in high school was still the most fun I ever had working at a job even making $5.15/hr.
Last edited by skullman80 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:12 pm

I don't understand the sentiment of having to keep working to "stay busy". There are a million things I want to do when I retire.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:17 pm

My dream job was to always own my own video store. Just rent movies to people all day and chill. If do that till I keeled over. Obviously video stores aren't a thing anymore which sucks.
For me it was the same dream but it was a used bookstore.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:20 pm

My dream job was to always own my own video store. Just rent movies to people all day and chill. If do that till I keeled over. Obviously video stores aren't a thing anymore which sucks.

Giant Eagle video in high school was still the most fun I ever had working at a job even making $5.15/hr.
Records/Comics/Weed Paraphernalia shop?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:21 pm

I don't understand the sentiment of having to keep working to "stay busy". There are a million things I want to do when I retire.
That's my bosses excuse for not retiring.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:24 pm

Generally, I agree. But if I were able to retire and keep a day job as a scuba guide or something with a tour operator? Man, that would be killer.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:26 pm

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:29 pm

My dream job was to always own my own video store. Just rent movies to people all day and chill. I'd do that till I keeled over. Obviously video stores aren't a thing anymore which sucks.

Records/Comics/Weed Paraphernalia shop?
I don't have the same passion for any of those things like I do for movies...so no go for me.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 pm

You could still do that at least. Physical Media is a dying thing at this point. I do plan to make it out to the last blockbuster on the west coast before they finally close down though hopefully.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:32 pm

Yeah, I got a taste of that during my sabbatical. It’s nice to wake up and decide to do whatever you want, regardless if it’s a weekend or not

It’s important to have “projects” so that you don’t sit in front of the tv all day every day (sitting in front of the tv is a valid use of a single day though) but the fact that you can bake variety into your days is unparalleled

meow

Postby meow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:35 pm

I can smell this post

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:37 pm

Yeah, I got a taste of that during my sabbatical. It’s nice to wake up and decide to do whatever you want, regardless if it’s a weekend or not

It’s important to have “projects” so that you don’t sit in front of the tv all day every day (sitting in front of the tv is a valid use of a single day though) but the fact that you can bake variety into your days is unparalleled
I have a hard time doing "nothing" or just relaxing. Even on days where I literally just tell myself I'm going to play video games or watch a movie... I end up doing something. My brain doesn't know how to tell my body to just relaxy for a day.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:38 pm

I’m the guy that you see taking a chair, umbrella, book and small cooler to the beach at 8am then coming back at 6pm. I can sit there and either read or stare into the ocean. I’ll do just fine in retirement.