Then there truly is only one option.

NTP66

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Treat him like the fax machine.

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 am

Anything more than 2-3 months as "interim" manager without associated compensation level is too long. Either eliminate the position from the org chart officially and spread the duties to the work horses (like most places now days, unfortunately) so that those poor saps can " suck it up" or hire someone to do the work.

Yes it is very insulting to hang you out like that, and to say you would have to interview when the time comes. Total joke. If you're not doing the job well enough that you would have to interview then you shouldn't be interim manager.

Similiar thing happened at my place of employment. Guy did the dept manager role for 9 months without issue, or compensation, they low key interviewed and hired someone for the job he had been doing admirably, and sent him "down" to his old duties. He promptly left the Company, and good for him I say.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:39 am

Yea, and everything you said I agree with. I basically feel at this point, I've been doing this year two years, and I've asked the status of the position every few months and I get the "hiring freeze, you'll have a shot to interview once it opens up, etc."

It's just to the point where I'm ready to get a final answer, and if I'm not good enough, at least let me know. I'm tired of being the sucker who's doing extra work if there's no endgame w/the position.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am

My favorite thing at my current employer is to promote unqualified people from within the organization because it's cheaper than finding a national or out-of-region candidate that won't stay long or want too much money. Often this comes with the promoted person still doing part of their previous job, because they won't replace the promoted person's position.

And so it goes.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 am

That's basically what happens here. I'm fine handling both, I've been making it work. Just pay me what I'm providing though, and I know that conversation starts with me.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:34 am

Oh no, not here. You keep your existing salary until the next fiscal year, and if your responsibilities have changed enough, you will get a slight raise.

Meanwhile, there haven't been salary increases of any kind for two years, and probably won't be any next fiscal year as we're back in a budget freeze.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:53 am

My favorite thing at my current employer is to promote unqualified people from within the organization because it's cheaper than finding a national or out-of-region candidate that won't stay long or want too much money. Often this comes with the promoted person still doing part of their previous job, because they won't replace the promoted person's position.

And so it goes.
Funny, we have an issue with our current CTO, where she immediately looks outside for new job openings as opposed to promoting from within. For the last three positions that we've had open, we had three current employees who would have kicked ass in these roles, but instead she hired externally for two of them (and one has already quit). For the third, they never found a qualified candidate, so the level was bumped down a notch, and was filled within a month from somebody on my own team.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:54 am

The way the job market is now, you have to change companies if you want a raise/promotion. The largest raises I've received in my 20 years in the job force were the times I switched companies. This despite getting high marks during yearly reviews.

Sorry to hear you are getting Russ Grimm'd, Morkle.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 pm

My current place likes follow the Steeler mold. Keep incompetent people around in management positions that allow nonsense to go on. If you are incapable of doing your job you get promoted ala Butler...
Last edited by Lemon Berry Lobster on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

The way the job market is now, you have to change companies if you want a raise/promotion.
That's how it was with defense contracting. You were not going to get a raise at your company, so you play musical chairs and hop from one to the next, leveling up each time. I didn't like that game so I switched to a GS position.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:32 pm

The way the job market is now, you have to change companies if you want a raise/promotion. The largest raises I've received in my 20 years in the job force were the times I switched companies. This despite getting high marks during yearly reviews.

Yea, I don't dispute this, but the company I work for, I still get paid enough to not really be THAT upset about it. It's also a company that's been really good to me and I've been here enough I've got a good thing going.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Linkedin has expanded their like function to a react function ala Facebook... They have:

-Like (blue thumbs up)
-Celebrate (green clapping hands)
-Love (red heart)
-Insightful (yellow lightbulb)
-Curious (purple curious face)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Can't wait to see all those yellow lightbulbs when some jamoke makes motivational messages about success. LinkedIn is great for certain things, but it is AWFUL in just being a social platform. Everyone there tries much harder than they need to.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:47 am

My current place is amazing. Knew I was going to be off yesterday so they decided to have a meeting on the product line I work on. I know the ins and outs more than anyone, yet they don't include me. Truly incredible stuff.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:00 am

This is a good post, and very true. That is probably the biggest reason why job-hopping is such a common thing now. With very few jobs still carrying a pension, you have absolutely no reason to show any long-term loyalty to your employer, unless the benefits/retirement contributions etc are worth it (i.e. Vanguard). I've switched jobs twice in my career, and my income would not be where it is now had I "waited it out" at my first employer.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:12 am

This is a good post, and very true. That is probably the biggest reason why job-hopping is such a common thing now. With very few jobs still carrying a pension, you have absolutely no reason to show any long-term loyalty to your employer, unless the benefits/retirement contributions etc are worth it (i.e. Vanguard). I've switched jobs twice in my career, and my income would not be where it is now had I "waited it out" at my first employer.
I've had this discussion with many of the old-timers here who are grandfather'ed into the pension plan. Most of them are sympathetic, and know they are the lucky ones. But there was this one woman who said to me, "Employees have no loyalty towards the company anymore." It works both ways, ma'am.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:14 am

Source of the post But there was this one woman who said to me, "Employees have no loyalty towards the company anymore." It works both ways, ma'am.
**** those people. They're the corporate shills who make long-reaching decisions based on everything but facts.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 am

Source of the post But there was this one woman who said to me, "Employees have no loyalty towards the company anymore." It works both ways, ma'am.
**** those people. They're the corporate shills who make long-reaching decisions based on everything but facts.
Not this person. She's an administrative assistant.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:57 pm

In my experience, executive assistants have been some of the most uppity people I have ever worked with. They think that because they support senior leadership, they are de facto at that same level.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Tell me about it.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 pm

There tends to be a little Stockholm Syndrome with senior administrative assistants, the further up the chain they are. They really are true believers from working directly with the decision makers in an organization.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Anyone who has been in the military is probably familiar with 'mini-medals.' They're what they sound like, small versions of medals/ribbons that you wear with evening mess dress uniforms at very formal functions.
I was doing a walkaround assessment yesterday at my office and I was in the executive suite area. An executive administrative assistant (civilian) had a mini-medal rack made up and attached to the nameplate on the door of her office. I have never seen that, ever. As in, I have never seen a mini-medal rack, nor have never seen people hang military medals out in the hallway in front of their civilian office. It was just super bizarre.

That has no bearing on anything other than it's an administrative assistant that seems to have something of an inferiority complex.