Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 am

Source of the post so I responded with a screencap of a recipe for ice just in case anyone didn't know
:lol:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am

I had someone ask me why the Auto Notification bot hadn't responded to their 3 emails.

I honestly don't know how to answer that without being sarcastic, because I don't really know why someone would reply directly to it in the first place.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 am

I am apparently the only person on my team in the office today. Given that I'm leaving around 11:30, I now wonder why I bothered even coming in.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 am

Yeah. What were you thinking?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 am

are you dead yet

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 am

I guess that I saved a vacation day by going in? I'm going to go with that for now.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

are you dead yet

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 am

Apparently we technically weren't supposed to wear jeans, but like half the office wore jeans today.

I can't feel too bad about it.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 am

Being 100% honest, this was their last good album. Blooddrunk was okay, but the other three were very meh.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am

I'm fairly sick of this phenomenon where an email thread starts at 6pm or so with half a dozen people on it. And they're all replying all night with requests for your input.

If you do this, you are complicit in a major problem in our society. We don't need to work like this. The only reason we do is because there are enough people with no lives out there using it as a tactic to get ahead. It's a big joke with no answer. Our country is great but this idea of achievism and "work life integration" is sad. And destructive.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:30 am

I'm fairly sick of this phenomenon where an email thread starts at 6pm or so with half a dozen people on it. And they're all replying all night with requests for your input.

If you do this, you are complicit in a major problem in our society. We don't need to work like this. The only reason we do is because there are enough people with no lives out there using it as a tactic to get ahead. It's a big joke with no answer. Our country is great but this idea of achievism and "work life integration" is sad. And destructive.
I don't let my reports do this. After EOB emails had better be emergencies and if that has to occur, as few people as possible should be CC'd. There are a few people on my team that don't even have their work email available on their phone, which is 100% fine with me.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 am

I don't let my reports do this. After EOB emails had better be emergencies and if that has to occur, as few people as possible should be CC'd. There are a few people on my team that don't even have their work email available on their phone, which is 100% fine with me.
I brought my team over from the small company we worked for that was acquired by a behemoth. They are the most respectful, honest people in the entire practice and never pull this crap. The people who need things from us though...they are clueless.

And this is a tricky thing to bring up, but almost all of our associates are also childless. They have no idea that people need to segment their home life with their children from work. And just practically speaking, I wake up at 6 and spend the next 3 hours feeding people, dressing people, giving people rides and commuting to work...I won't answer your email until that is done. Deal with it.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 am

Put an OoO up every night :lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 am

I have a fancy job title. I am ineligible for improving my quality of life.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 am

I have a fancy job title. I am ineligible for improving my quality of life.
I had a guy turn down a promotion about a month ago because he didn't want to shoulder any more responsibility and potentially cut into his home life (he's got three kids under 3). My peer was flabbergasted (a childless individual). I told him I'm not surprised he said no. The candidate gained a huge amount of respect from me.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 am

My boss wants to install me in his position in roughly 2020. I'm still not sure that it be worth the extra money.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

My boss works pretty much 24/7 and is miserable. Part of it is because the people above him are losers too, but at the same time, he brings some of it on himself. He refuses to ever say "no". His wife is pissed at him and he never sees his kids.

I straight up have said in the past that I don't want his job, and unless it's been an emergency, or one of our known busy times during closing, I refuse to work like that. I still get my work done, and at a high quality. But right now in this point of my life, with my kids playing sports and in activities and my wife working as well, I force my own balance. And I'm much happier for it.

I bet my boss is gone, divorced, or dead within the next 6 months.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am

Such a nice day to come to work. Will probably close my office door for a few "calls" and play my GBC emulator on my phone. Traffic coming to work was nonexistent--took me 30 minutes instead of the usual 45. Leaving at 3.

If you are able to leave early, I don't get taking PTO on days like these.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am

My boss wants to install me in his position in roughly 2020. I'm still not sure that it be worth the extra money.
Knock on wood, but my wife and I are to the point we are financially comfortable, we are busy, but still manage to strike balance in our lives with work/family, and if I'm in a position like you are above, I'd probably pass over the raise.

I know there are conversations in leadership teams now that this is a newer thing and it is baffling some higher ups. In the past, it was always "throw more money at the higher performers but they give their lives to us". But now, more and more people are passing that up.

It's still in issue because I think it's a transition period from generational thinking, but I think you are seeing more and more people pick work/life balance over cash.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 am

Such a nice day to come to work. Will probably close my office door for a few "calls" and play my GBC emulator on my phone. Traffic coming to work was nonexistent--took me 30 minutes instead of the usual 45. Leaving at 3.

If you are able to leave early, I don't get taking PTO on days like these.
Same situation. No one is here. I'm doing very little. Going to the gym. Eating lunch. And then leaving around 2 or 3. I'm not wasting a vacation day on that.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 am

The quarter ended last Thursday and that was cramming 10 weeks into 9, because of the hurricane. I needed a full week off. :)

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 am

If I took the position mentioned about, I'd be reporting directly to VP for academic services. That feels closer to the sun, than would be comfortable.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am

If I took the position mentioned about, I'd be reporting directly to VP for academic services. That feels closer to the sun, than would be comfortable.
This is the first job I've had where I am reporting directly to an executive (VP of Human Resources). Before, there was always a buffer. I'm kind of surprised at how comfortable I've been speaking with her, but I definitely act differently than I would with a middle manager.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 am

Forgot my ID at home so I got to commute twice today. Walked in and my boss said I should've just called off. Fair point.

Anyone else working Friday? Free parking downtown on Black Friday (and the next six Saturdays). That's $13 right in my pocket. My wife is working so I can't see why I should blow a day of leave to sit home with the dog.