Job and General Employment Thread

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:59 pm

Having a pretty crappy week at work myself. Just found out another guy put his 2 weeks in yesterday. Since the pandemic, that's 2 lab techs, 2 engineers, all replaced by 1 engineer.

The guy who put in his 2 weeks was bittersweet news. On the bad side, he's a good lab tech and has been here for 12 years. He knows stuff. Now that we have 0 lab techs, all that work will now fall on me and the other 2 engineers left.

On the good side, nobody really got along with him. I get along with almost everybody I work with. This guy and maybe 1 other were exceptions. Yes he was good at what he did, but he never lifted a finger to help. Always deflected work, told me to do things when it was his job, was a self-described dick altogether.

I am convinced he was the reason why WFH became a thing of the past for me. He complained that he didn't get to WFH, and the boss listened. Speaking of the boss listening to him, every meeting we had it was his opinion over every body else's. Just yesterday, he suggested we run a special test on something and the boss thought it was a good idea. Exactly a week before in the same meeting, I suggested the same exact test and got shot down. It's my **** project too! This guy just attends the zoom meeting, adds more action items to my list, and does nothing to help.

This place is going down the toilet. I've been searching for a few months now, but it's time I up my game. Yesterday really ticked me off to the point I had to turn off my audiobook on the way home because I wasn't listening to a word. Was completely fed up with how my boss has been treating me. And I'd say he's been one of my best bosses, up until the pandemic.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:27 pm

That's tough, robbie, good luck with things. I'm almost there with my newish boss. Difference is that I report to a supervisor, who's a good friend of mine, so he's a buffer between me and the clown.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:19 pm

Yeah, that's suboptimal robbie. Good luck in your job search - depending on your location, it might be a short one.

I really wished I'd put my notice in for a few weeks earlier, to be honest.

My current employer is requiring all employees and students who aren't fully boosted to provide a negative test by this afternoon. I have one staff member home with COVID and has to quarantine another five days, and two others that are waiting five and six days respectively, for their test results.

If they don't get the test results submitted in time, they will be put on unpaid leave until a negative test can be submitted.

On top of furloughs, loss of retirement match, increased share of health insurance, many colleagues have left and no hope of getting replaced, and plummeting morale.

Now I don't think anyone will go on unpaid leave, at least on my staff. They've reached out and let them know that they did get tested. But that's the policy that's being communicated, and they aren't getting any reassurances that they won't get put on leave despite something that they have no control over.

Again, I'm not sure what I would do if I was staying here. Mentally, I'm burned out and I only have a month left. I don't know how you get up and come to work without an exit strategy in place. It's nuts.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:30 pm

Imposter syndrome is starting to kick in for me. I'm 2.5 months in, get all my **** done, and most days have like 3 hours to kill. I feel like I'm missing something I should be doing, or feel like there's a task I should've absorbed that either hasn't come to me yet or I've overlooked.

I feel like I'm doing absolutely nothing, but my boss has told me I'm pretty much on track or exceeding their expectations. Just can't shake the feeling that, because I actually have "down time" during a work day for the first time in my life, I'm doing something wrong.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:41 pm

Imposter syndrome to the max here the last, oh six months. Boss said I'm on track for a promotion as long as I continue what I'm doing and maybe add 'one more feather to my cap' before June.

TBH I feel we're all imposter in this corporate jungle and I'm just gonna keep it rolling til the wheels fall off.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 am

Company made MLK Day a company holiday this year, removing one day from around the holidays (Christmas Eve, specifically, we will only have the Monday after Christmas off). They are encouraging people to use it as a Day of Service to volunteer rather than taking the day off. I mean, it's a nice idea but if that's what they really wanted they could probably slip us another holiday in the schedule, no?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:10 am

Props to the d bag who thought 8am today was a great time for a meeting.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:24 pm

From another thread:
I really feel for those who don't have work from home options.
My sister loathes the fact that my wife and I work from home full time, and made a point to say that it’s bullshit if we call out sick. Such a miserable dodint these days.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:26 pm

Yeah, sorry but being sick is still being sick. It amazes me those who think we work from home by sitting on the couch all day lol. I have a desk and an office just like I would at work

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:28 pm

Exactly, it’s not a vacation. I’ve also been putting in more hours every single day since moving to full time WFH.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:47 pm

We got notification last week that a new Allegheny County law allows sick days to extend to taking care of sick family members.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:52 pm

Having a pretty crappy week at work myself. Just found out another guy put his 2 weeks in yesterday. Since the pandemic, that's 2 lab techs, 2 engineers, all replaced by 1 engineer.

The guy who put in his 2 weeks was bittersweet news. On the bad side, he's a good lab tech and has been here for 12 years. He knows stuff. Now that we have 0 lab techs, all that work will now fall on me and the other 2 engineers left.
We just found out that we're losing a guy in two weeks, or probably even less than that since the weekend has passed. He gave a few reasons, but the primary reason was that he was burnt out at his job since it was only him at that site.

In the meantime, it will mean me and my boss going into a rotation of covering on the days where he is not available. It's also worth mentioning that his office is 5-6ish hours away, which also leaves our office shorthanded. There is talk of him coming back in a on-call type of role, but I don't know if that has been finalized or how long that will last.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:43 pm

We got notification last week that a new Allegheny County law allows sick days to extend to taking care of sick family members.
Yep, same - though my company already doesn't really care and was doing this.

Which makes me laugh because like clockwork - daycare shuts down for 2 weeks of course (my rant in the parenting thread). My wife asked for "flexibility in the next 2 weeks".. you know, like so ya boy mac can get his job done too and she can support me.

"Let me know one or two days you'd like and I can evaluate the availability there"

my wife went from one sht boomer boss to the next. maternity leave in 4 weeks or less and then she will be applying anywhere and everywhere.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:41 pm

Wow. Anything less than "of course, thanks for letting me know" would be an immediate resume update for your boy

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:33 pm

Yep, same - though my company already doesn't really care and was doing this.
We got the same email…

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:04 pm

Wow. Anything less than "of course, thanks for letting me know" would be an immediate resume update for your boy
Yeah, it's only going to get worse too. She'll be on maternity leave for 12 weeks by Feb 21 at the latest. Then it'll be time to find another job. Everything but salary is going there and enough places are paying insane salaries to make up with it. The boss situation just has red flags everywhere.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 pm

Awesome. Gives her plenty of time to search and find something too

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:52 pm

I can't wait to retire from formal work.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 pm

I would just like to not be a wage slave anymore. I'm working on it. No where near where I want to or need to be. But getting there every day. I wanna be able to, when a boss says something like that, look them square in the eye and say look, I don't need this job.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:33 am

Just hired a fourth member of my team. When I was hired here four years ago, I was the only guy here. It's been great to have the opportunity to grow professionally in this role, but man, it's wild how quickly I went from invisible individual contributor to a high level essentially director level role.

I've been very fortunate, but sometimes it's overwhelming how quickly I went from flying under the radar to constantly in meetings with C Suite types. I sometimes long for the old days, even if I was earning less money then.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am

I've been very fortunate, but sometimes it's overwhelming how quickly I went from flying under the radar to constantly in meetings with C Suite types. I sometimes long for the old days, even if I was earning less money then.
Just do what ya boy meow does when he feels like this. Go sit in your hot tub or ride your jetski. All that stress felts away.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:53 pm

Exactly, it’s not a vacation. I’ve also been putting in more hours every single day since moving to full time WFH.
I don't know your situation, but my commute will be between 45 and 60 minutes, both ways. That's now time I can spend on the clock, because my commute now is like 15 feet. But I'm still looking forward to in-person work; I miss the office camaraderie, and I'm more disciplined. I'm also around 18 months further along in being out of an office than all y'all, and I'm quite over it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:10 pm

I don't know your situation, but my commute will be between 45 and 60 minutes, both ways. That's now time I can spend on the clock, because my commute now is like 15 feet. But I'm still looking forward to in-person work; I miss the office camaraderie, and I'm more disciplined. I'm also around 18 months further along in being out of an office than all y'all, and I'm quite over it.
To each their own, but I have no interest in ever going back in person.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm

We had our quarterly company wide meeting today and one of the questions to the CEO was about whether they are considering going to a 4 day workweek. The answer was no as our customers work 5 day workweeks but he didn't rule it out if it becomes common. I wasn't sure whether 4 days means 10x4 or 8x4. I'm not sure I could work 10 hours a day all the time anymore.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:57 pm

To each their own, but I have no interest in ever going back in person.
Ditto. No desire to ever go back. It's silly and pointless.