Job and General Employment Thread

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:40 am

I don’t know where people thought it was ok to put Political opinion on LinkedIn but that’s my quickest remove the person from my list action ever.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:47 am

Yeah, I don't see a single political or nonsense post so far. It's all technical stuff.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:29 am

I logged into my linked in for the first time in a lonnng time. I never had updated it after I got my latest position at my company back in May of 2019..so I at least did that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:31 am

I opened my LinkedIn when I was still in the military, so it's heavily weighted towards that crowd. Lots of motivational stories and fallen servicemembers.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:40 am

Everyone I know said to join it and connect, etc. because of the opportunities, so that's more or less why I did so.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:51 am

It's fine. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the phantom notification on the Android app. Every day, without a doubt, there is at least one new notification. And it's never anything relevant, they're clearly just trying to get you to open the app and get their impression counts up.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:53 am

I've gotten a lot of traction with linkedin posts in my field. It works well for the job that I'm in. I suppose you get out of it what you want to get out of it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:55 am

It's almost a replicate of my Twitter feed. I see the same blogs and posts in both. I did notice that the 'connections' thing has a lot of leeway in it. I talk to a lot of other Citrix admins on Slack, etc., and as far as everyone is concerned, that counts as a connection.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:59 am

It's fine. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the phantom notification on the Android app. Every day, without a doubt, there is at least one new notification. And it's never anything relevant, they're clearly just trying to get you to open the app and get their impression counts up.
That was annoying me to, so I just turned that notification off all together in the settings.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:46 am

Thanks all. I reached out to my boss (HR Director) and she agreed it needed to be brought to the management team's attention to at least look into it. It's one of our most important vendors so obviously not good if they think our people are forging emails.

NTP, good call on Webmail. The email was sent at 1:30 on a Tuesday, so she definitely would have been using either Outlook, whether it was on her PC or phone. In both cases, it should have been "FW"
We got an update on this yet, shaf?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:47 am

Yeah, shaf terminated her via e-mail and she claimed to have never received it. Probably.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 am

If anything, LinkedIn has shown me that half of my old team left my previous job. I inquired about it, and it turns out that the people I couldn't stand causing me to leave, also caused them to leave. WELL WELL WELL, I guess I wasn't the problem after all.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:14 am

:lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:17 am

I don't think I worded that well. I left because of the toxic culture a few people helped breed. Some thought it wasn't really that bad, and I was just butting heads with them (leadership). They then experienced the same thing I did, and then bounced.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 am

There's a limit on profile searches in LinkedIn? That's kinda dumb. Their own recommendations only get you part of the way there, and I had been browsing other connections to find more people to add.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 am

Thanks all. I reached out to my boss (HR Director) and she agreed it needed to be brought to the management team's attention to at least look into it. It's one of our most important vendors so obviously not good if they think our people are forging emails.

NTP, good call on Webmail. The email was sent at 1:30 on a Tuesday, so she definitely would have been using either Outlook, whether it was on her PC or phone. In both cases, it should have been "FW"
We got an update on this yet, shaf?
Evidently her manager asked her if she could show her the item in her sent items, and she couldn't find it, but that was only because all of the emails to the person in question were showing up as a single thread. The manager did not push farther, but did ask her about it. I didn't push the issue, although it does turn out she is using Webmail. Still, there is almost no explanation for that one email out of 20 not going through. Our email server is pretty rock solid.

It's being let go for now, which honestly I'm fine with.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 am

There's a new trend at work that none of us are happy about. If another group has some sort of go-live, my team gets dragged into supporting it (even though most of the time all we can do is call the user back and forward the ticket, etc.). It has happened for the last 3 go-lives, none of which we are actually responsible for. If we have a go-live, guess who doesn't have to assist? Everyone else. It's 100% on us. And our new manager just capitulates to everything because I guess he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. This place is going to break him in mere months.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:06 am

That is a bad idea on at least couple of levels...I don't know much about IT, despite my current position, but one thing I don't do is get bamboozled...I'd never allow something like that to happen to my group, at least, not for free...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:10 am

I agree, and now that this is a pattern, this will inevitably be our future. "Just get NTP's team to support it like they do everything else". I get that you don't want to make big waves, but I'm not seeing anything resembling a spine right now, which is a big contrast from our last manager.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 am

I think both of our companies would be happy with a trade...I show too much spine here, and they need someone that just kind of blows in the wind with upper management's abject silliness...you guys need a strong, handsome leader...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 am

:lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:17 am

I’m not looking to make a change. Thanks though

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:59 pm

My mom took a job making significantly less on payroll than she was on unemployment.

I presume there's no recourse for this and she's essentially stuck there now?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:23 pm

I'm dying alive today.

One of my long time team members, who trained me and everyone else who came (and left) since then sounded absolutely horrible on the phone on Friday. She's had gastro issues for years and said it was something she ate on Wednesday. Found out this morning she's in emergency surgery today after getting a dire diagnosis with a poor prognosis. My boss called a meeting to tell us and ended up crying while he told us. This is a former Army officer who runs a firearms customization business on the side. I don't know the exact nature of her issue this time but it's not good.

Normally I can compartmentalize this stuff but I'm just sitting here half-crying while trying to work. Which sucks because I'm at the district today.

Aside from the obvious personal concerns, it's a real dagger for our team as well. It was hanging by a thread before this and she was the most efficient, hardest worker on the team.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Man, that is horrible to hear.