Job and General Employment Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 am

@nobody

Does your organization do Quality Step Increases? Was wondering how common they are.

Just got my performance review and I completely dominated. In the past when that has happened I usually get a one time award. Thinking of asking for a QSI instead. Obviously the QSI pays out much higher in the long run, but I can only recall ever hearing of one person getting one. I think it's kind of bold to ask in my first year but with the Performance Eval system changing this spring (bye, TAPES) it might be worth reaching for the brass ring here.
I did ask, and was told my supervisor has no input on awards, it's all controlled by a panel of people I've never met.

Ended up getting a bonus equal to 1.6% of my salary. Not bad. Not what I wanted, but what can you do?

It's enough to buy two sets of racing tires and some brakes. Score.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 am

@nobody

Does your organization do Quality Step Increases? Was wondering how common they are.

Just got my performance review and I completely dominated. In the past when that has happened I usually get a one time award. Thinking of asking for a QSI instead. Obviously the QSI pays out much higher in the long run, but I can only recall ever hearing of one person getting one. I think it's kind of bold to ask in my first year but with the Performance Eval system changing this spring (bye, TAPES) it might be worth reaching for the brass ring here.
I did ask, and was told my supervisor has no input on awards, it's all controlled by a panel of people I've never met.

Ended up getting a bonus equal to 1.6% of my salary. Not bad. Not what I wanted, but what can you do?

It's enough to buy two sets of racing tires and some brakes. Score.
They are very uncommon. I would have been very surprised if you got one.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Hey, let's make a firewall change blocking everything but 80/443 from hitting our datacenter. In the middle of the day.

That was fun.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm

"NTP, can you take a look at this broadcast document for me and let me know what you think?"

Dear god, no.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Hey, let's make a firewall change blocking everything but 80/443 from hitting our datacenter. In the middle of the day.

That was fun.
Who needs FTP, and SMTP anyway?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Or access to nearly all of our various admin consoles.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:39 pm

I need to get out of the technology professional game. i'm too old and too big of a baby to jump on emergency calls in the middle of the night

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 pm

There's a bullpen office at work where 3 people share a common space. They are all in purchasing, so I'll go in there 1-2 times a week to put in orders. They put a sign on their door saying "Knock, then wait for somebody to wave you in." There's also a sign they'll put up that says "Conference in session, please come back later." Which I take to mean they are on the phone, so don't bother me.

1. None of you are in management, so treating your cubicle area like you have your own office is poor form. My boss, who has his own office with a door, has his door open 99% of the time, including when he's on the phone.

2. If one of you is on a call, why do you have to prevent me from coming in and talking to one of the other people?

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

There's a bullpen office at work where 3 people share a common space. They are all in purchasing, so I'll go in there 1-2 times a week to put in orders. They put a sign on their door saying "Knock, then wait for somebody to wave you in." There's also a sign they'll put up that says "Conference in session, please come back later." Which I take to mean they are on the phone, so don't bother me.

1. None of you are in management, so treating your cubicle area like you have your own office is poor form. My boss, who has his own office with a door, has his door open 99% of the time, including when he's on the phone.

2. If one of you is on a call, why do you have to prevent me from coming in and talking to one of the other people?
Ah yes ,the people who are "so busy they can't be interrupted because they have a ton of work and can't get it done in one day, etc. " I've encountered them before. They think their job is the most important one in the company and everyone has to bow to them and no one else could possibly have a busy and/or important workload..

Who wants to bet they spend a portion of that time slacking off behind closed doors?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Ah yes ,the people who are "so busy they can't be interrupted because they have a ton of work and can't get it done in one day, etc. " I've encountered them before. They think their job is the most important one in the company and everyone has to bow to them and no one else could possibly have a busy and/or important workload..

Who wants to bet they spend a portion of that time slacking off behind closed doors?
I don't doubt they are pretty busy, and even if they do slack off, it's no more than anybody else (to which there is a reasonable level, imo). It's really one person out of the 3 that I believe is doing all the sign hanging. The other two probably roll their eyes.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm

this is lame as ****, gtfo with this nonsense

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Based on most of his posts in this threa, You are more or less describing ntp.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Are there any more useless jobs out there than an Agile Coach.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 pm

The real question is why do agile coaches take their jobs so serious?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:12 pm

I just spent 2 hours in a workshop where we broke shapes drawn on pieces of paper down into smaller sizes to 'deliver value more quickly' . Literally a coloring workshop that cost the company at least $1,000.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Are there any more useless jobs out there than an Agile Coach.
Philosophy professor?

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

A former manager of mine moved to another position in the company to be a Six Sigma Director. What is your day to day for that?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am

Source of the post Six Sigma Director
Somebody is making a butt load of money selling this concept to companies. Umpteen hours of training which translate to more and more paperwork that results in less productivity and the same results in the end.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:39 am

Six Sigma, Kaizen, and Lean training is basically an amalgamation of corporate buzzwords.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 am

A former manager of mine moved to another position in the company to be a Six Sigma Director. What is your day to day for that?

What type of facility do you work at? Six Sigma on its own is going away. Most companies are merging the ideas of lean manufacturing with six sigma.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Agile!

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:15 pm

I thought agile was just a software development thing. This exists for other things?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:04 am

That's what I do (I'm the product owner/manager)

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:25 am

We hired a COO recently that is a "black belt" (sigh) in six sigma and wants to train people in the company...should I steer clear? I don't really know what it is to be honest...I have only been in the corporate world for about 5 or 6 years, and only in a high-ish level management position for a year and a half...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am

The people who eat that **** up are usually the more useless people in the company, in my experience.