Job and General Employment Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Back to work after 19 days. Absolutely useless coming in for two days, then a weekend. Half the campus took the day off, making it difficult to get anything done, and the rest of us are all clock watching. So stupid. But typical, because 2-3 people have to be here (payroll, registrar), so everyone gets to work.

As a department head, I took the week before our normal Christmas break and couldn't take these two days off. Which pisses me off.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm glad that nobody really gives anyone a hard time about time management at work. So long as the work's getting done at a high level, we're all good.
so basically "the problem worked itself out."

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 am

My office has partnered with Bobby Mo for some discounted tuition. It's like, almost 50% off far as I can tell.

I noticed they have a Masters of Organizational Leadership. Just curious if this is an attractable Master's Degree?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm

At first slight, it seems like something dumb dumb CEO types would be interested in having a management-hire have and then giving them a position they aren't truly fit for in mid-upper management that serves no real purpose but to move paper from one desk to another for an exorbitant salary for their actual production value.

From that perspective, I say go for it...but I don't know what your goals are - professionally or personally. I'm not a huge believer that leadership can be learned in such a way, I'm sure they'll have some stuff about time management, organization skills, communication, stuff like that...which some people can find useful...maybe they'll do six sigma stuff or whatever...I don't know, that kind of thing is clearly not marketed towards someone like me...it reads like "business religion" for lack of a better term...but maybe others who have been in the professional world and are lifetime professionals will say differently...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I was going to type something that was as thinly veiled justification of my project management masters degree but, honestly, who am I kidding? I'm not sure it has done much for me except maybe it made getting into law school a little easier. I learned some good stuff while pursuing that degree, but nothing I couldn't have learned from a PMP exam study guide.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Yeah, I guess that's kind of where I'm at.

I guess I failed to mention that, assuming I only take 3 courses per calendar year, it'd be almost free, and I'd complete in 3 years.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:44 pm

Yeah, mine was free. I'd recommend it under that plan, assuming you have at least some interest in the curriculum. The degree would be an enhancer, and ROI isn't really a factor if you're only expending time.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:15 pm

Blew up an igbt module at work today. Lit.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:08 am

Blew up an igbt module at work today. Lit.
One of my first jobs out of school, I sat right next to the test area where propulsion units were being tested. These propulsion units had 8 IGBTs and 4 1H capacitors. When those things blew, it was like an M80 went off. Everybody jumped.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Had a video conference with a customer today. I had to do a double take when I saw a tail wagging above the conference table. Yep, somebody brought their dog into work.

This is 2020

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Had a video conference with a customer today. I had to do a double take when I saw a tail wagging above the conference table. Yep, somebody brought their dog into work.

This is 2020
I take you you've never been to a start-up or tech company or marketing agency or production house etc etc etc. Dogs at work are all the rage and have been for a long time now.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:42 pm

I would kill everyone if it meant getting an office samoyed in here...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm

This is 2020
I take you you've never been to a start-up or tech company or marketing agency or production house etc etc etc. Dogs at work are all the rage and have been for a long time now.
I've been to this place. They have a ping pong table, their own catered cafeteria (no charge to the employees). Just never saw a dog.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:14 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... lves-work/
More Americans are killing themselves at work

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:24 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:25 pm

While many Americans see working late as badge of honor and a way to get ahead, in Denmark it’s seen as a weakness — it shows you can’t get things done in the allotted work time
This.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:24 pm

Another take:

If you're sick for any reason, you shouldn't be going into the office, period.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:55 pm

While many Americans see working late as badge of honor and a way to get ahead, in Denmark it’s seen as a weakness — it shows you can’t get things done in the allotted work time
This.
That's un-American but I agree.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 pm

This.
That's un-American but I agree.
Except that corporate America now compiles multiple jobs into one role and expects the highest level of production regardless. I used to stay late because there’s always something but then I thought about it and since there’s always something we’ll that something will always be there tomorrow as well. I’m salaried but typically work a couple hours less than 40 a week now while still getting needed work done because most things don’t actually need to be done right away.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:31 am

I put in more than 40 hours, but only because my work/life balance is great. Every last one of those extra hours is while I'm working from home.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:12 am

I put in more than 40 hours, but only because my work/life balance is great. Every last one of those extra hours is while I'm working from home.
:thumb:

Same. That said, I found out yesterday that I am going to be working remotely FT until at least July, possibly longer, as we are simply out of space in our current corporate office due to the growth we've had. Being that I am in Talent Acquisition and my job is 98% phone/email (and I already work remotely Fridays), it made sense for me to be asked. I am pretty stoked about it, although I do crave the social interaction.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:15 am

While I would like the option sometimes, I'm actually energized by social interaction, so I couldn't do it full time without inviting people over for a party at least...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 am

Today, we are shutting down at noon because we are changing offices...moving to the east side of Broad for people that know Philly a little...it represents me being closer to the better bars in Old City, a 90 second shorter walk to work (down to 16 minutes now), but being further from my hockey rink...

Today in particular, I get to go for a noon happy hour then play some open ice this afternoon...this is a good day for mikey...

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:23 am

Holy hell is this true where I work. People stay just to stay. It's absurd. Like someone above said, there's always work - so why would you stay late all the time if it's always there? I actually work with someone who follows the old 1950s "you don't leave until the boss leaves" thing - which I think is frankly pathetic.

What really pisses me off is I'm a 7-4'er. The curse of the 7-4'er is you're always seen as leaving "early" even though you're leaving on time. There's always some jamoke that says "must be nice" as you're walking out the door. And no one sure as hell knows if you come in early.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am

Source of the post What really pisses me off is I'm a 7-4'er. The curse of the 7-4'er is you're always seen as leaving "early" even though you're leaving on time. There's always some jamoke that says "must be nice" as you're walking out the door. And no one sure as hell knows if you come in early.
"Must be nice to sleep in and get to work late."