Job and General Employment Thread

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Eat grasshopper tacos.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Found out today I have to go to Mexico City for a week next month. Sort of pumped and sort of dreading it
Eat all of the street food you can find, and don't drink anything other than booze and bottled water.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 am

Try not to get kidnapped by one of the cartels.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 am

The CFO here has kidnapper insurance. Anyway.. the CFO down there has been kidnapped for ransom a couple times. I'm going down with like 5 from their company so I'd like to think I'm safer with a few people with me all week

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 am

Found out today I have to go to Mexico City for a week next month. Sort of pumped and sort of dreading it
Eat all of the street food you can find, and don't drink anything other than booze and bottled water.
Would not have trusted street food until you said that. Knew to stay away from running water

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 am

The CFO here has kidnapper insurance. Anyway.. the CFO down there has been kidnapped for ransom a couple times. I'm going down with like 5 from their company so I'd like to think I'm safer with a few people with me all week
It was nice knowing you, willeyeam.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 am

i've heard it's a real shithole

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 am

Any advice for someone who hasn't been on a job interview in over 20 years? :shock:

My company is folding, which I knew was coming. However, the retention $ I was led to believe I'd be receiving for staying to wrap things up isn't happening, not to mention my benefits are being pulled in a few days with no concrete contingency plan in place. So I gots to go.

A seemingly good opportunity came up, and the company wants to bring me in for an interview in the next week or two and I'm scared poopless. :scared:

Edit: spelling
Last edited by mamaemeritus on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 am

Any advice for someone who hasn't been on a job interview in over 20 years? :shock:

My company is folding, which I knew was coming. However, the retention $ I was lead to believe I'd be receiving for staying to wrap things up isn't happening, not to mention my benefits are being pulled in a few days with no concrete contingency plan in place. So I gots to go.

A seemingly good opportunity came up, and the company wants to bring me in for an interview in the next week or two and I'm scared poopless. :scared:
If you have someone you can rely on to be good at it, I would honestly ask them to help you role play the interview.
Last edited by columbia on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 am

Talk about memes and how everything is dank

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am

Talk about memes and how everything is dank lit, litty is also acceptable.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:06 am

If the temps are low, be sure to mention how brick it is out there.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 am

My company is folding, which I knew was coming. However, the retention $ I was led to believe I'd be receiving for staying to wrap things up isn't happening, not to mention my benefits are being pulled in a few days with no concrete contingency plan in place. So I gots to go.

Edit: spelling
Learn as much about the company and your interviewers role(s) at the company as you can.

Bring copies of your CV/resume, in case you meet others during the interview.

Have questions for the interviewers. This sounds stupid, but it shows that you have thought about the company and have an interest in it.

Truth be told, those probably haven't changed in 20 years. :lol:

Good luck!

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am

Also: interview for the job at hand, not your ideal job.
You’d be surprised by how people get that second part wrong.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 am

My organization sent out a solicitation of interest for people to work in Afghanistan for a year. They need a few people from my series to go over to Bagram and Mosul Dam. I did a year in Afghanistan on active duty and about seven months as a contractor so I know pretty well what it would entail.

I looked into it, and it would be a 35% increase in base salary for deploying to a danger zone, and another 35% for deploying to somewhere significantly different than where my home is. Plus some other incidentals. For me that would put my salary for that year somewhere in the neighborhood of $125k or so. And it would be tax free. That sounds great and all, but that's literally half what I was making as a contractor when I was over there, and that was six years ago. Further, the civil servant pay scale is capped over there to something like $6k/bi-weekly so at a certain point I'd be working for free when I hit that ceiling.

I couldn't really work it out with school so I guess it's a moot point. I wouldn't mind going back but as a GS employee there isn't a lot of incentive.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm

My organization sent out a solicitation of interest for people to work in Afghanistan for a year. They need a few people from my series to go over to Bagram and Mosul Dam. I did a year in Afghanistan on active duty and about seven months as a contractor so I know pretty well what it would entail.

I looked into it, and it would be a 35% increase in base salary for deploying to a danger zone, and another 35% for deploying to somewhere significantly different than where my home is. Plus some other incidentals. For me that would put my salary for that year somewhere in the neighborhood of $125k or so. And it would be tax free. That sounds great and all, but that's literally half what I was making as a contractor when I was over there, and that was six years ago. Further, the civil servant pay scale is capped over there to something like $6k/bi-weekly so at a certain point I'd be working for free when I hit that ceiling.

I couldn't really work it out with school so I guess it's a moot point. I wouldn't mind going back but as a GS employee there isn't a lot of incentive.

I believe this is False. There are waivers in place that allow civil service members to receive up to 230k a year in certain designated areas.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 pm

That's possible. I read about a waiver but I was reading old stuff from four years ago, and since I'm not going anyway I stopped reading into it. Generally GS compensation is capped at junior Senator pay or something, but for certain AORs it can be waived and the waiver is redone annually.

Those 35% bumps are on base rate, as well, not locality pay which really knocks down the incentive as well.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 am

I love getting messages like this when applicants call me back. "Hello, this so-and-so getting back to you. I get home from work around 6:30 so will be available after that, I'm also available Saturdays before 12. Look forward to hearing from you!"

Motherf***er you damn well better make 10-15 minutes for me during the normal workday if you are remotely interested in the job you applied for :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:05 am

Your new job rants are weaksauce compared to your old job rants.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am

If I'm looking for a job, I'm available at any hour. No way would I limit it to after current business hours.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am

Yeah, applicants with weird time restrictions on when they can be interviewed (even for a 20-30 minute phone interview) is a big red flag for me. Shows they either a)don't want to work for you or b) aren't really looking for a new job, i.e. using my interview for leverage for a raise at their current job.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am

I feel opposite - if a recruiter reaches out to me, you're now on my time. I def see it though if you're a recruiter and initiate they're on your time.

Typically if someone calls me, I'll listen and make time for it at some point through the day, but it's never at their convenience. Always mine. I've never had to look for a job with a recruiter though, knock on wood. I've only ever been recruited.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 am

I've never had to look for a job with a recruiter though, knock on wood. I've only ever been recruited.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 am

Source of the post I feel opposite - if a recruiter reaches out to me, you're now on my time. I def see it though if you're a recruiter and initiate they're on your time.
I agree with this only if I'm not actively searching. If I am, then I'm always available regardless of who makes first contact.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am

Source of the post I feel opposite - if a recruiter reaches out to me, you're now on my time. I def see it though if you're a recruiter and initiate they're on your time.
I agree with this only if I'm not actively searching. If I am, then I'm always available regardless of who makes first contact.
That's how I feel about it. If I'm reaching out - then I'm interested. If I'm reached out to, then I'm "interested" in hearing what you have to say.