Job and General Employment Thread

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm

People like to snipe at lawyers for "legalese," and those accusations are in many cases completely accurate. A whole lot of lawyers are really crappy writers, and they have been for a long time. But my experience is that legalese barely holds a candle to the bloated, clumsy, obscure, boring, vague, and needlessly complex crapola that is the vast majority of modern academic writing.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:27 pm

How do you guys handle people who say a bunch of stuff, without actually saying anything of value?

I ask one guy a question at work, and I get a 10-minute explanation that doesn't answer my question, and just feel like it's always time-wasting.
I’m extremely blunt at work. To a fault. Responses I know I’ve used: “Is the answer to my question buried in there somewhere?” and “This answer better be worth the 10 minutes of my time you are taking right now”

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 pm

@Freddy Rumsen has something to say about being long winded :lol:
:lol:

I only talk twice a week for an hour and then once at 30-40 minutes. ;)

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 am

I must've applied to a random job on indeed, and I had a phone screen about it yesterday. It's at a start up company. They haven't asked my salary reqs and I haven't given it. Now they want me to come in for an in person interview and to meet the rest of the team. I hate to blow a PTO day if they're gonna offer me like 70 percent of my salary and try and entice me with the startup BS "we have fun at work so it doesn't feel like work". Salary bump or GTFO.. a lot of risk with start ups... How would yall handle this?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 am

I'd simply state the reasons and ask. I've been upfront about it before to let them know that I don't want to waste either of our times if they're just doing this as exploration.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 am

Unless it's something that I'm extremely passionate about or have a personal stake in, I'd stay far away from start-ups.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:07 am

I've heard good and bad things, I think ultimately I'd be very curious about the pay-scale, and the hours needed to work. Start-ups are notorious for misunderstanding the value of your time.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 am

Just keep in mind that the failure rate of startups after 4 years is about 45%.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Unless it's something that I'm extremely passionate about or have a personal stake in, I'd stay far away from start-ups.
:thumb:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 pm

I deal with academia and that’s all they do.

Feels like they get paid by the word.
That's largely it, I work with people that are coming from high-degree backgrounds, and they all take forever to get to the point if they get there at all.
As a follow-up, we do a simple task that creates the need for 2-3 sentences to describe something, he wants to spend 2 hours training, and is upset about spending 2 hours training, and gets even more upset when I question that it's a simple create, cut, paste scenario.

If it takes you 2 hours to train someone on how to write 2-3 sentences, I'm not blaming the person who needs "training." I'm questioning if I need a person who's willing to waste that much time on something trivial.

Seemingly this type of inefficiency has been accepted here where I work, and I don't understand it, because I've never felt that I've been awarded this type of leniency when it comes to work I have to deliver.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Just keep in mind that the failure rate of startups after 4 years is about 45%.
Definitely, and it'd take like a 25% salary bump to get me to even consider it, which is why I'm like... tell me what you're offering so i dont waste time. Once the HR person emails me back, I'll just ask her.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:33 pm

I must've applied to a random job on indeed, and I had a phone screen about it yesterday. It's at a start up company. They haven't asked my salary reqs and I haven't given it. Now they want me to come in for an in person interview and to meet the rest of the team. I hate to blow a PTO day if they're gonna offer me like 70 percent of my salary and try and entice me with the startup BS "we have fun at work so it doesn't feel like work". Salary bump or GTFO.. a lot of risk with start ups... How would yall handle this?
Fun doesn’t pay my bills or get me closer to retirement.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:26 pm

How do you guys handle people who say a bunch of stuff, without actually saying anything of value?

I ask one guy a question at work, and I get a 10-minute explanation that doesn't answer my question, and just feel like it's always time-wasting.
I’m extremely blunt at work. To a fault. Responses I know I’ve used: “Is the answer to my question buried in there somewhere?” and “This answer better be worth the 10 minutes of my time you are taking right now”
thats gonna be a yikes from me dog

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:37 pm

yeah, i used to be a dickhead at work too.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Yeeeaah I’m constantly annoyed by people at work but I’m never a dick to anybody. What exactly would that solve?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 am

One of my guiding virtues at work is being as pleasant/personable/nice as humanly possible, but stopping short of letting myself be pushed over if I know I am in the right. It has served me very well so far. It is much, much more enjoyable knowing I am looked at fondly by a lot of people in the organization vs. knowing I'm the ballbreaker/D-bag that everyone hates.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Should try that here.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:44 am

I woke up sick Friday morning and texted my (interim) manager. My previous sick days he replied that he hoped I feel better. No reply from him all day on Friday. Then I found out later that morning he sent an email to our whole
team and copiedhis manager (Director level) that I was out of the office that day. Just strikes me as weird that in my previous sick days and vacation time last month he never sent an email out but he did on Friday. Especially odd that his manager was copied on the email. I'm not special, I'm just a grunt worker.

Maybe I'm paranoid and this is nothing and I'm worrying for no reason, just felt odd to me..

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Could be just a protocol change...don't let it get in your head...

Feel better.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 pm

in my neck of the woods, a manager would never resort to these measures to draw attention to a "grunt worker". also, your health is more important than your job, and you're sick however often you're sick. it's not a negotiable thing. any employer worth a lick understands this.

so if this is actually somehow supposed to be a ding on your performance, you work at a horrible, horrible company.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:55 pm

4 business days and no call or email from that ole 'start up' that was interested in me. Thanks, but no thanks, we're done here :lol:

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm

in my neck of the woods, a manager would never resort to these measures to draw attention to a "grunt worker". also, your health is more important than your job, and you're sick however often you're sick. it's not a negotiable thing. any employer worth a lick understands this.

so if this is actually somehow supposed to be a ding on your performance, you work at a horrible, horrible company.
Agreed. I’m just a contractor though so it had me worried I guess.

A new permanent manager from outside the company is being hired soon for my team so this probably means nothing

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Ended up getting another person assigned to me. So I'm managing now 9 people...I'm more anxious about having a handle on everything than ever before, talked with my boss, let him know my frustrations about all of this. Still, feel nothing is coming from it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:52 pm

My boss just told me i "Sometimes smell like a person who lives in a house that has dogs"...

I didn't quite know what to say, so I just sprayed old spice on myself.

I can't wait until Oct 1, when I never have to deal with this schmuck.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:56 pm

That's a tough thing to say for a normal human..