Job and General Employment Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Our system has a "VIP" tag used for ticketing items. I've seen that thing stretched pretty far.
Our VIPs are managers, their admins (because they are submitting tickets for said manager), and our VP. We have about 100-110 in our office, so there's not a whole lot of room to stretch VIP status. To be honest, nobody has really made an issue of it because...
It only requires 2 seconds to say "please submit a ticket".
I've been in this role for 2.5 years and I still get people saying "I don't know how to submit a ticket." I know I've walked certain people through multiple times, but I literally have the link to our ticketing system in my Skype status and my Out Of Office. People will walk right in my office while I'm on a call with a user or with external support.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:28 pm

A lot of people don't realize that I'm not trying to get out of helping you by saying "put in a ticket", but rather I want to capture your problem so we can trend and analyze them down the road.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:43 am

If any of y'all thought I was kidding... :lol:

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:55 am

They even laminated it. Yikes.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 am

Should have been in comic sans to really nail the point

home.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:47 am

What a facking loser

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:52 am

I know a couple engineers at my work that would put a sign like that up. If I saw that sign up I would immediately be drawn to walking right into their cube and talking loudly to them.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:45 am

Visual snark in this medium, will done mikey.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:35 pm

lol yea, I'm excited because I've worked my ass off for this title, imo. I'm not the least bit offended if the person leaves, I understand it.

That all being said, still another position open that I may gun for too, which kind of wrecks plans anyways, but it's good enough that I have to go for it, I think.
Found out that this is an "in-title" only change, meaning I picked up double the work and see no benefit. The other position that will open up here will certainly have my name on the application list.

Ended up giving my boss grief about it for a further explanation and I got the "we'll let's see how you do in the role first." Bro, you called me interim for 2 years, either I'm good enough or I'm not.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:41 pm

That's when you withdraw and ask to be "demoted" back to your former position.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:51 pm

So the only useful thing I'm getting out of it is a title. I've gone ahead and made the switch already, but yea - I'm not totally thrilled about any of it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Ultimately this other position I was asked to apply for, is a band higher, and what appears to be less, more focused work. It doesn't make sense for me to not throw my name in the ring.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Ay carumba, just do it already.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:39 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Source of the post That's when you withdraw
My wife went that route months ago, and they're still looking for a qualified candidate.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Source of the post That's when you withdraw
My wife went that route months ago, and they're still looking for a qualified candidate.
In the grand scheme of things, ultimately I know I can be replaced, but I also think that they're getting a lot more from me, than a normal new hire would.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Yeah, you're being jerked around, IMO.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Morkle seems to hate himself. ;)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Being loyal and expecting to be rewarded often works against me in the scenarios.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Source of the post Being loyal
Is this still a thing? There are some old timers at my workplace that hold onto this mantra, but Gen X'ers and younger I don't see doing this at all. When companies stopped being loyal, so did the employees.

It may sound selfish, but my #1 priority is me when it comes to my job. If I don't feel like I'm happy here or being treated right, the resume is getting warmed up.

This isn't necessarily a knock on you Morkle, just curious if others feel the same.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:16 pm

If your employer treats you well and pays you appropriately, then sure, be loyal. I like my company and my boss so should I ever get a better offer, I would take it to my boss and see if they could match it. That's as far as my loyalty goes. If they aren't able to, I'm out. If you're not looking out for yourself, who is?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Is this still a thing? There are some old timers at my workplace that hold onto this mantra, but Gen X'ers and younger I don't see doing this at all. When companies stopped being loyal, so did the employees.

It may sound selfish, but my #1 priority is me when it comes to my job. If I don't feel like I'm happy here or being treated right, the resume is getting warmed up.

This isn't necessarily a knock on you Morkle, just curious if others feel the same.
I think I accrue a decent amount of brownie points and, in turn, actual dollars because of loyalty. I’ve positioned myself as sort of an “institutional” presence where I’ve worked, and I think that makes up for some other shortcomings when it’s performance review time.

But there’s a difference between being loyal and being a doormat who doesn’t push back. You can be both loyal and disgruntled

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Our elevators at work have LED screens in them showing news, surveys, etc. Today’s survey was that fewer people are job skipping these days, and that the trend continues to slide. They didn’t say which generations were surveyed.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:26 pm

Yea I feel that I've been jaded by the process and I've let doormat enter the fold because I chased a title. I said yes so much based on trying to get to the next level, I believe I have been taken for granted. Now, I get paid really well, so honestly, I love the paycheck, and the company is full of good people.

I believe I just let it get too far, and didn't say enough and now it's too late.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Interesting tidbit NTP. I wonder what's driving that trend. Hard to believe more people are loyal to their employer just because.

In my case, I like the work I do and enjoy my coworkers which is why I stay. But the company is completely anti-employee. They cut benefits all the time, overwork their employees by not filling a position when somebody leaves, uses an outdated system of accruing vacation, no pension, no bonuses, no path to promotion except to become manager, etc. I get great reviews every year from my boss, but what's the point? It doesn't mean jack.