Job and General Employment Thread

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 pm

For some reason, my employer is being really coy about merit raises, which take effect Oct 1. My boss said he won't be able to share anything until next week, but also said "I can't stop you from checking your salary in Workday". There's been a lot of hush/vague details at my company lately. It's not out of the norm for stupid things like this and has rarely meant bad news in the past. It's just annoying they do things this way.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:31 pm

For some reason, my employer is being really coy about merit raises, which take effect Oct 1. My boss said he won't be able to share anything until next week, but also said "I can't stop you from checking your salary in Workday". There's been a lot of hush/vague details at my company lately. It's not out of the norm for stupid things like this and has rarely meant bad news in the past. It's just annoying they do things this way.
3.25% is what I heard and has been corroborated by others, but my wife's MD has also refused to tell them anything yet.

But yea, weird culture. Lots of rumor mongering.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:10 am

**** Workday. Most worthless HR crap that I've had to deal with the OKR nonsense.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 am

Yeah I have to use it for performance reviews and development plans, otherwise it's useless to me.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:32 am

I actually like Workday. Easy to navigate, all of the pay/time off data in a central location, etc.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:58 am

I don't have to use workday as a manager, but as a normal employee I think it's fine. It's even nicer now that it's integrated into teams. Makes taking time off easier as I don't even have to go to the actual work day site.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:14 am

I'm angling for a 12-15% raise right now, based on how well I've run things in the last 12+ months since my old boss left and I merged the two positions into one. My direct boss and our director both have my back, which is fantastic, but they aren't sure what the "range limit" is.

I feel like it should be an easy fight with HR, IMO. I'm on track to save us $70k annually with the way I do things.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:16 am

I'm angling for a 12-15% raise right now, based on how well I've run things in the last 12+ months since my old boss left and I merged the two positions into one. My direct boss and our director both have my back, which is fantastic, but they aren't sure what the "range limit" is.

I feel like it should be an easy fight with HR, IMO. I'm on track to save us $70k annually with the way I do things.
Not sure how your place runs, but we've had open position reqs for years at a time. And where does all that extra work land? And do we see any of that kickback? No, but the company sure does appreciate all the extra hard work.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 am

Not sure how your place runs, but we've had open position reqs for years at a time. And where does all that extra work land? And do we see any of that kickback? No, but the company sure does appreciate all the extra hard work.
There's been some precedent for what I'm looking at, but I suspect it'll be a slog anyway. If it doesn't go through I'll be updating the old resumé.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:49 am

**** Workday. Most worthless HR crap that I've had to deal with the OKR nonsense.
:fist: Hate it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:56 am

Workday is absolute trash.

Had to gripe to my boss yesterday - guy that was the boss of my old team, went and joined a new unit. I took his place. Now that he's been there a year, he's actively recruiting team members on my to join his team. One already left - but he's working on two more on a team of 8. Had to kind of put the flag up that this doesn't seem right. I doubt anything happens, and movement is OK - but apparently there's nothing on the amount of transfers from one team to another, and that's frustrating.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:20 am

Our CTO is going to be in the area in two weeks, and it looks like he wants others who work in the area to come on site for the day. It'll be cool hanging out with two of my friends, but I'd still like to opt out of this if possible, lol.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:35 am

Maybe they'll give you a pizza party.

Our position on merit increases is , we use an outside consulting firm to tell us what other people are doing and then follow that recommendation.
"We look very well prepared for the oncoming recession and when other companies are announcing layoffs we think we'll be able to hold the line." Which translates to you'll get 2.5% and be thankful you still have a job, pleeps.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:39 am

Doing research around merit budgets.. everything I have seen has been showing 4% MINIMUM

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 am

I love new people who join the company and think raise/bonus time isn't pre-determined to be 2-3%.

Puts me in an absolute **** position because I have to tow the line, but people being flabbergasted about that raise is mind blowing.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:13 pm

I don't know where this goes...but it's going here now...

I learned that there's a person in our company who is eyeballing two different Excel sheets. Each sheet has multiple columns of overlapping data so that one can legitimately make it one sheet with, I don't know, 5ish minutes worth of know-how. But, they eyeball it, and then they enter two pieces of that data into a program that we EOL'd two years ago. He does this for about 400 to 600 rows of data every month.

We built a program that automates this process (and the five steps on either side of getting to [this] point) from start to finish late in 2020 - and I thought everyone had moved all their clients to it by now, I don't know why they wouldn't have. And even if you're suspicious of sophistication, you're eyeballing two Excel sheets. Excel can just do what you're doing for you. Like, you're a VLOOKUP away from apparently 3 days' worth of work for this person, instead of, 10, 12ish minutes...?

Anyone who told him to do that should be fired. But it was the president of our company, so that's unlikely...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:17 pm

The notice was given today. Get a new car tomorrow. Last but not least no pre-employment drug screening. Celebrating with a 120 or two...or three...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:33 pm

I love new people who join the company and think raise/bonus time isn't pre-determined to be 2-3%.

Puts me in an absolute **** position because I have to tow the line, but people being flabbergasted about that raise is mind blowing.
Yep, I've been here for 12 years and gotten between 2.7-3.2% Every. Single. Year. Which is whatever, because I've had now 7 major step ups on top of the merit (10% each time) in those 12 years. I really can't complain. My salary is now triple what it was this time in 2010. My job duties and responsibilities have followed suit as well, but I'm still overall happy where I am.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Be glad that the person could at least open Excel. At my university, we use it in several courses and expect students to write formulas in it. Some students can barely sum the values of two cells...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:28 pm

That absolutely blows my mind.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:44 pm

My wife interviewed at another skilled nursing facility on something of a whim. While she was waiting on that process a hiring manager she knew at one of the big "non-profit" health systems called her and asked her to apply, and she's on her second interview for that soon. That should be something of a slam dunk.

But, the skilled nursing facility tendered her an offer today. Seemingly out of nowhere they offered her a 27.2% raise over what she's making now. The salary discussion with the big health system was a 1.8% raise. Basically a move to get her out of the old folks home and back into outpatient, so salary wasn't a priority.

But a 27.2% bump is a big offer for someone with only 500 hours of experience in a field. :lol:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:16 pm

My wife interviewed at another skilled nursing facility on something of a whim. While she was waiting on that process a hiring manager she knew at one of the big "non-profit" health systems called her and asked her to apply, and she's on her second interview for that soon. That should be something of a slam dunk.

But, the skilled nursing facility tendered her an offer today. Seemingly out of nowhere they offered her a 27.2% raise over what she's making now. The salary discussion with the big health system was a 1.8% raise. Basically a move to get her out of the old folks home and back into outpatient, so salary wasn't a priority.

But a 27.2% bump is a big offer for someone with only 500 hours of experience in a field. :lol:
:thumb: :thumb:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Way to go Mrs. millennial. About time one of you two serve our nation.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:16 pm

Sugar momma!