Job and General Employment Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:24 am

Come on, Dickie, I almost had em.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 am

Workers are returning to the office — and finding it has its charms
https://nypost.com/2022/05/08/workers-a ... ts-charms/
According to Jim Clifton, CEO of pollster Gallup, the majority of workers want to return at least some of the time. The reason? To collaborate, socialize and make important decisions alongside co-workers.
Socialization, yes. Important decision making? **** no. From the few times I went to the office previously it was nothing but people bullshitting with each other. My wife needs to go in once a month now and gets absolutely nothing done while she's there. Being in the office is for schmucks.

From what I was told yesterday, last December the CEO of this place told everyone they would be returning to the office full time as soon as it was possible to do safely. All the data and analytics managers fled for remote positions in other companies. CEO immediately course corrected and made a bunch of the company, specifically data and analytics teams, fully remote forever.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 am

Source of the post CEO immediately course corrected and made a bunch of the company, specifically data and analytics teams, fully remote forever.
Are you one of those people?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 am

We are still technically supposed to go in one day a week right now. I haven't gone in ...in months, and no one says a word to me about it. I get my **** done. I don't see it changing anytime soon, but we shall see I guess.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:37 am

Source of the post CEO immediately course corrected and made a bunch of the company, specifically data and analytics teams, fully remote forever.
Yes. Even though I'm in Pittsburgh and working for a Pittsburgh company, it was a nationwide remote position posting. The rest of the team is half Pittsburgh, half all over the country. No threat of ever returning to the office. The chance of me ever taking a job again that require office appearances is slightly above zero.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:39 am

Yes. Even though I'm in Pittsburgh and working for a Pittsburgh company, it was a nationwide remote position posting. The rest of the team is half Pittsburgh, half all over the country. No threat of ever returning to the office. The chance of me ever taking a job again that require office appearances is slightly above zero.
My man. My team consists of people in:
PA (myself)
NJ
GA
AZ
WA
NY
FL
TN

Not a single person resides in the same state.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:42 am

My man. My team consists of people in:
PA (myself)
NJ
GA
AZ
WA
NY
FL
TN

Not a single person resides in the same state.
Nice. Makes it pretty much impossible to tell people to come back to the office.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:55 am

My entire team is global, in US and UK.

The question I have - is do these executives and C-suite folks know they're consistently lied to, or do they believe that the rank and file are happy to be in the office?

Personally, if c-suite asks me my thoughts, I'm more likely to soften the stance rather than anon questionnaires.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:12 pm

I'm a straight shooter. I said, that most/all of our dev team will quit if we have to go back into the office at any regular occurrence. And I said, I would no longer be able to wear two hats (I run two completely different departments/teams) if I had to waste a bunch of time commuting back and forth from work (back when I lived in Philly). And I said my other team has gained productivity since working remotely, so...

Then...I just never heard anything about my people coming back in the office again...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:13 pm

Yea, we've never actively had to go back to the office - because all of our positions were remote hires. I know of people who've gone back 2-3 days a week, and complain about it constantly, but say they're staying because the pay is good. So then it's like OK, stop complaining about it then.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:24 pm

Our company - even during the heights of the pandemic - would threaten (and execute) returning to the office as a form of punishment. So, if you made a couple mistakes, they'd determine in their mind that the controlling variable of the flub was that they were not seated next to similar dinguses (dingi?)...

I remember one chick at our company - fairly low level employee, but had some sway and important stuff to do...like, "elevated low" kind of employee. They threatened her to come in in like the winter of 2020 or some such, maybe early 2021...and she called me and was like, "I live with my 99 year old grandmother, I don't know what I should do..."

I said, well...one, explain that and explain that coming into the office doesn't equal auto-success...failing that, quit.

About three weeks later, she gave me the "it was really nice working with you" call haha

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:25 pm

Yea, we've never actively had to go back to the office - because all of our positions were remote hires. I know of people who've gone back 2-3 days a week, and complain about it constantly, but say they're staying because the pay is good. So then it's like OK, stop complaining about it then.
My wife's team is completely non-collaborative, so then going back to the office at all was nonsense but their VP overrode their MD and ordered everyone back to the office one day a week so they could all stare at each other while working on different projects (this despite two teams that actually collaborate being granted permanent remote status). The MD pushed back and got them down to once a month in the office, with the condition that if someone wants to hold a meeting on-site their required to attend in person. So on Monday my wife had to travel almost 90 minutes round trip for an hour long meeting completely unrelated to any of her projects. All it's done is inspire her to look for looks elsewhere in the company. People are stupid.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:29 pm

UPMC is a absolute **** show to work from what I hear from my wife on a daily basis.
Resurrecting from earlier in the week, and also to tag onto c-suite idiots

My wife told me yesterday that upper management at UPMC is considering making her work holidays starting next summer. They said because of staff shortages, they have to implement this new mandate.

I think this may push her over the edge. She took her current position for a few reasons. Two of the biggest reasons were no weekends or holidays. Her jagoff supervisor's first order when he got the job was to make her work weekends again. Strike 1. Now this holiday business? Strikes 2 and 3.

How obtuse is upper management that they think the best way to fix the staff shortage problem is to piss off the staff even more so that they have an even worse staff shortage problem? It's like a bunch of Bob Nuttings running this place.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:12 pm

UPMC is a absolute **** show to work from what I hear from my wife on a daily basis.

My wife told me yesterday that upper management at UPMC is considering making her work holidays starting next summer. They said because of staff shortages, they have to implement this new mandate.

I think this may push her over the edge. She took her current position for a few reasons. Two of the biggest reasons were no weekends or holidays. Her jagoff supervisor's first order when he got the job was to make her work weekends again. Strike 1. Now this holiday business? Strikes 2 and 3.

How obtuse is upper management that they think the best way to fix the staff shortage problem is to piss off the staff even more so that they have an even worse staff shortage problem? It's like a bunch of Bob Nuttings running this place.
Alot of their decisions make no sense, especially at the top of the food chain. My wife hasn't had to deal with the holiday/weekend thing yet...I think that would make her look to leave. Not sure if it's different since she is outpatient and not inpatient. When she was on Leukemia ward she was inpatient and weekends, holidays were the norm and expected.

Alot of her team have left, one person is leaving to go become a travel nurse and make 170k a year. My wife and her colleague asked for more money because of that and the extra work they would be taking on..and were basically told by UPMC they have no money to give them.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:36 pm

Alot of their decisions make no sense, especially at the top of the food chain. My wife hasn't had to deal with the holiday/weekend thing yet...I think that would make her look to leave. Not sure if it's different since she is outpatient and not inpatient. When she was on Leukemia ward she was inpatient and weekends, holidays were the norm and expected.

Alot of her team have left, one person is leaving to go become a travel nurse and make 170k a year. My wife and her colleague asked for more money because of that and the extra work they would be taking on..and were basically told by UPMC they have no money to give them.
Yeah those travel nurses/PTs get paid the big bucks. Funny thing is, my wife is basically a semi-travelling PT, just more in the Pittsburgh region. She goes wherever they tell her to go. From my understanding, that's why travelling PTs/nurses make so much - they fill in where they are desperately needed. I get that they don't have the freedom of settling down, but there are a lot of people out there that would love to travel around.

UPMC is so freaking cheap. They have the money, they have just taken advantage of the saturated job market in PGH for so many years that they don't understand what happens when that well dries up. My wife has told me that similar jobs in markets that are not as saturated with workers pay 25-35% more than her current job.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:38 pm

My wife and I put a 5-year moratorium on moving, back in 2020. After that, she's going to start looking for travel PTA jobs. She wanted that from the start but we're doing this self-imposed five year stint first.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:42 pm

Yeah those travel nurses/PTs get paid the big bucks. Funny thing is, my wife is basically a semi-travelling PT, just more in the Pittsburgh region. She goes wherever they tell her to go. From my understanding, that's why travelling PTs/nurses make so much - they fill in where they are desperately needed. I get that they don't have the freedom of settling down, but there are a lot of people out there that would love to travel around.

UPMC is so freaking cheap. They have the money, they have just taken advantage of the saturated job market in PGH for so many years that they don't understand what happens when that well dries up. My wife has told me that similar jobs in markets that are not as saturated with workers pay 25-35% more than her current job.
Yeah I get why traveling nurses make what they do. My wife makes good money ...at least I think she does. She's a PA not PT, but I'm not sure what the difference in pay between PA's, nurse's, PT's etc. I'm not sure how it compares to other hospitals in the area, or other markets.

I tell her to keep her options open to move, but she is "comfortable" now. Almost every day though I hear how her actual job is not bad at all, she likes it. She's like if I could just spend my day actually doing my job it would be perfect, but it's all the outside BS, and work noise that drives her nuts. The stories I hear on a daily basis when she comes home are pretty crazy. They did give her another work at home day in lieu of more money though recently.(She did get a nominal yearly raise). So she is at home two days, in clinic two days. (She works 4 10's).

She is just in a weird spot. She doesn't hate her "job". She is good at what she does and doesn't really want to move, but all the outside noise makes it very difficult on a day to day basis.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:56 pm

I get paid weekly, every Thursday with direct deposit hitting my account Wednesdays.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:57 pm

Sounds like you get paid on Wednesdays

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:06 pm

Sounds like it, yes. But only out loud.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:22 pm

I belong to the once a month paycheck club. 1st of every month, or Fridays if the first is on a weekend.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:09 pm

Once a month, last business day of the month.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:45 am

My wife is back in the classroom after being an administrator for 10 years or so, and it's been a rough year so far. She's special ed certified, but has no interest in teaching special ed...but still got nearly all of the special ed teachers in her grade level because they could not hire a full time special ed teacher. Not great.

The administration of the school is inept. Panders to district admin, sucks up to parents, and throws teachers under the bus. Perfect.

So another new (to the district) teacher in her grade level quit yesterday. Evidently, she put her notice in two weeks ago, but was told not to tell the other teachers or students. She couldn't say goodbye to her class. The only reason my wife knew she quit was she saw this teacher walking out of the school with boxes of personal items. The grade chair knew, but couldn't tell anyone. Evidently, this principal wants to keep it a secret for morale purposes? Which is ludicrous. Kids talk. Teachers gossip. So it goes.

I'm hoping my makes it through the year. She's been doing this for 25 years and this is the worst she's ever felt about the profession. I hope they hire a long term substitute for that class instead of splitting up the kids among the remaining classes. Ugh.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am

My wife is back in the classroom after being an administrator for 10 years or so, and it's been a rough year so far. She's special ed certified, but has no interest in teaching special ed...but still got nearly all of the special ed teachers in her grade level because they could not hire a full time special ed teacher. Not great.

The administration of the school is inept. Panders to district admin, sucks up to parents, and throws teachers under the bus. Perfect.

So another new (to the district) teacher in her grade level quit yesterday. Evidently, she put her notice in two weeks ago, but was told not to tell the other teachers or students. She couldn't say goodbye to her class. The only reason my wife knew she quit was she saw this teacher walking out of the school with boxes of personal items. The grade chair knew, but couldn't tell anyone. Evidently, this principal wants to keep it a secret for morale purposes? Which is ludicrous. Kids talk. Teachers gossip. So it goes.

I'm hoping my makes it through the year. She's been doing this for 25 years and this is the worst she's ever felt about the profession. I hope they hire a long term substitute for that class instead of splitting up the kids among the remaining classes. Ugh.
Didn't she just start this job?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:51 am

Yes, back in August.