Job and General Employment Thread

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:47 am

Thanks for the reminder gentlemen. Have to finish my training requirements this week. Used to be they'd roll out 1-2 assignments per month, but our safety leader got lazy, rolled them all out in January and said finish it by Oct 31.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 am

I think the new gig is going to involve little non profit accounting so no more 24 hours of yellow book for this guy. I think. Fingers crossed

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am

I got really behind on my CISSP CEUs. ISC2 likes money, though, so I don't think I'll have a problem renewing.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:10 am

Confirmed that we did get raises this year (got 3% myself). Largest raise I've had in 3 years... which is kind of sad, when I write it down.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 pm

So for about 2 years now I've been ready to jump into management. But there haven't been a ton of openings at my current company and those who did have openings, I wasn't selected.

Any advice on looking for external management gigs?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:01 am

Speaking of, my wife turned down a management position last year, right before covid. A position that was actually created for her. The Sr. Director told her that he wanted all of his managers to be on site 4 days per week, and she was having none of that. Fast forward 18 months and they have found a total of zero candidates qualified for the role. Her Director just told her that she's retiring at the end of the year, and wanted to know if she'd be interested in that position. I think we nixed that pretty quickly after talking it through; too much political BS, and she'd be reporting directly to the aforementioned doofus.

Anyway, they started talking about that other management position that was created for her, and I think my wife's going to meet with him once more to see if the role could remain 100% WFH, as her current role is. If so, she'd likely accept the offer, and would get a very nice bump out of it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:37 am

Insanely massive pet peeve.
My group is a group of folks who each support one area of the business. I got realigned to a new group (though my HR-type stuff didnt change). If you are going to forward me email threads that are like more than 5-6 emails long, and need me to actually reply to the email, you're gonna have to say a little more than just "adding mac5155 here".

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:39 am

Speaking of, my wife turned down a management position last year, right before covid. A position that was actually created for her. The Sr. Director told her that he wanted all of his managers to be on site 4 days per week, and she was having none of that. Fast forward 18 months and they have found a total of zero candidates qualified for the role. Her Director just told her that she's retiring at the end of the year, and wanted to know if she'd be interested in that position. I think we nixed that pretty quickly after talking it through; too much political BS, and she'd be reporting directly to the aforementioned doofus.

Anyway, they started talking about that other management position that was created for her, and I think my wife's going to meet with him once more to see if the role could remain 100% WFH, as her current role is. If so, she'd likely accept the offer, and would get a very nice bump out of it.
I took my current position in Oct 2019 and was selected for a management interview at the same time, but decided against it because the schedule required a bit less flexibility than the position i took. Looking back, I should've taken the interview because we've been WFH consistently.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:43 am

I took my current position in Oct 2019 and was selected for a management interview at the same time, but decided against it because the schedule required a bit less flexibility than the position i took. Looking back, I should've taken the interview because we've been WFH consistently.
Did they fill the position? My wife's in a great spot, IMO, as they have not filled it (and won't unless she accepts).

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:50 am

Oh yeah, it's filled. I am just saying I regret not at least going for it, because 1.) the only reason I didnt want it was I didnt want to be expected to be at the office from 8-5 daily (pre-covid), and 2.) I bombed the next management interview I did, and haven't had the opportunity to do another one since. I learned a lot about the process.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:02 am

Put up my auto-response saying my last day is tomorrow and I won't be answering any more questions.

Feels good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:10 am

My man.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:15 am

antoniobanderasknucklekiss.gif

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:09 pm

Also my reaction when I found out I lost all my access 2 hours before I'm scheduled to be done.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:11 pm

Also my reaction when I found out I lost all my access 2 hours before I'm scheduled to be done.
Early dismissal!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 am

Another one of my staff put in their notice. Had high hopes for this one, as she decided to get a Master's degree in our field - but the furlough and health benefit cuts were too much. Off to a state college library closer to her home, with a solid raise. Can't blame her, but it's going to suck around here until after exams in December.

Nothing official, but as our department "doesn't generate revenue for the university" the position is probably not going to be refilled. So it goes.

Can't wait to peace out of here. Not sure what I would've done if I hadn't taken/gotten the other job.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:09 am

Another one of my staff put in their notice. Had high hopes for this one, as she decided to get a Master's degree in our field - but the furlough and health benefit cuts were too much. Off to a state college library closer to her home, with a solid raise. Can't blame her, but it's going to suck around here until after exams in December.

Nothing official, but as our department "doesn't generate revenue for the university" the position is probably not going to be refilled. So it goes.

Can't wait to peace out of here. Not sure what I would've done if I hadn't taken/gotten the other job.
Will there be anyone to fill your shoes?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:19 am

They'll have to name someone interim director, but neither of my current staff has any interest in it. One woman has been here 37 years and is retiring in May 2023, the other is a librarian who has no interest in management. We do have a grant-funded position that will be posted soon, but that person won't be eligible.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:25 am

What's an appropriate amount of time to wait to reach out via email/phone about an interview? I interviewed last Friday, met with multiple people for over an hour, and even talked to one of the people about a different position if the one I originally interviewed for didn't work out.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:31 am

What's an appropriate amount of time to wait to reach out via email/phone about an interview? I interviewed last Friday, met with multiple people for over an hour, and even talked to one of the people about a different position if the one I originally interviewed for didn't work out.
I'd say around now. Just a short note saying you are still interested and looking forward to hearing from them, and just wanted to see where they are in the process/if they need anything else from you.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:51 am

And if you didn't already send a thank you letter, do it now. You could sneak in there your continued interest

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Yeah, it's definitely been enough time to reach out. Like Robbie said, mask it in a "thank you again for the opportunity to meet with...." yada yada yada email.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:55 pm

Got an interview on Monday. Already starting to get some jitters about it all. It's been some time since I've interviewed.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:01 pm

Good luck!

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Survived my first week, and got told to work the last half of today at home. I'll count that as a win.