Job and General Employment Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 pm

"Back in August" That was only like 3 weeks ago.

Yikes

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:34 pm

Yeah. It's not good.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:42 pm

The teacher that quit was told she was not able to get out of her contract. So the school admins had no idea she was leaving for good yesterday. She just potentially threw away her teaching certificate and certainly won't get a job in SC at a public school. She's done with it. For good.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 pm

Did she have a reason for quitting other than just no longer wanting to teach?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 pm

She was put in a grade level she'd never taught before and a program (gifted and talented) she wasn't qualified for, and got little to no support from her burned out grade chairs and school administrators. She moved to the area (like we did) shortly before school started, and it was just too much.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:35 pm

Would her employment contract have specified the grade/program she was to teach, or would it have been more along the lines of "we can put you anywhere we want"?

I would also note that generally speaking, all contracts carry the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. Hiring someone and then forcing that person in a role they are not qualified to hold may violate that covenant. She might not care, but if she lawyers up, good counsel could maybe keep the school from going after her license.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 am

I'm not sure of the details, but in my wife's case, she interviewed for a position at the school (they had a number of grades/positions available) and was put where she was needed. This teacher has no intentions of teaching ever again (from what my wife found out). It just makes everyone else in my wife's grade level life more difficult. It was predictable, too.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:17 pm

Things must be pretty bad for someone to not only nope out of a job, but an entire profession.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:22 pm

Things must be pretty bad for someone to not only nope out of a job, but an entire profession.
Either that or she received a better offer or it was personal issues or ?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:41 pm

She recently divorced and moved here with her new significant other, who seems to have money. That might explain some of it.

I'm sure there will be a desperate school somewhere nearby in a few years - probably a private school - that will hire her at some point.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:03 pm

I personally know of 4 teachers who have left the profession in the last 3 years and another who left maybe 6 years ago

In my department (not education), we have 2 former teachers on staff. I don’t know a single teacher who would recommend going into teaching right now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:14 am

Would you say it is because of the restrictions placed on their 1A rights?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:27 am

I have this guy that reports to me that starts Teams meetings like 5-7 minutes BEFORE they are scheduled to begin. Sure. Whatever. Problem being that I typically use the “so and so has started this meeting” as my reminder to join. So I routinely am late to meetings where he does this because I get sidetracked with other things

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:38 am

I have this guy that reports to me that starts Teams meetings like 5-7 minutes BEFORE they are scheduled to begin. Sure. Whatever. Problem being that I typically use the “so and so has started this meeting” as my reminder to join. So I routinely am late to meetings where he does this because I get sidetracked with other things
Hit dat snooze button

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:32 am

Hell yes. The VP of engineering that I interviewed with sent me an email this morning that he thinks I'll be a good fit and he'll be sending more information later. I can't wait to quit this stupid job.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:34 am

:thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:34 am

Nice job, LBL.

Hit dat snooze button
I assume he's talking about the momentary pop-up from Teams, not the meeting reminder from Outlook. I've had this issue before as well. I'm not joining 7 minutes early and enduring that mindless small talk.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:00 am

Nice job, LBL.

Hit dat snooze button
I assume he's talking about the momentary pop-up from Teams, not the meeting reminder from Outlook. I've had this issue before as well. I'm not joining 7 minutes early and enduring that mindless small talk.
Correct. And I use the browser based outlook, so the pop up doesn’t appear unless I have that window up. I know that I can change that but I don’t want to. And the fact that I’m back to back virtually all day probably makes it worse.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:03 am

I have a few co-workers who like to start meetings early too... I wait until my outlook pop-up tells me it's time. No way I'm dealing with the inane small talk.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 am

I used to jump on early to some meetings to shoot the **** with my buddies. Only certain meetings, though.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:38 am

Nice job, LBL.

Hit dat snooze button
I figured. I almost always ignore the Teams pop-up, unless it's within a minute of the meeting. Then it's easier to just hit join then hit the dismiss button on the Outlook reminder.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:46 am

:lol:

Man, I get annoyed when that "so and so has started the meeting" message that early.

We are working with a new affiliate and one of the team members down there always insists on having her camera on. It's bizarre. We had our team call Thursday morning and she was the only one on camera, sitting there shoveling cereal down her gullet. Someone finally said "You don't have to be on camera" just so we wouldn't have to watch her eat anymore.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:57 am

We’ve moved into this unofficial social agreement that you only turn your camera on while speaking. It’s great

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:58 am

No one turns cameras on at all during our calls even if speaking.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:28 pm

I actually love when somebody's video is accidentally turned on. 99% of the time they don't know so you catch them doing some pretty funny stuff. Actually happened to me once when I was working from home sick and still in my pajamas.