Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:12 pm

At the end of the day, it's just smart. What kind of gimp **** wants to risk a) an outage over a holiday where you likely have a shortened bench, or b) pissing everyone off, possibly taking them away from their families during the holidays?

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:18 pm

my boss is trying to screw me out of comp time. I WFH the day before Thanksgiving, a full 10 hour day. he's trying to give me credit for only 4 hours of work because he said that's what everyone else did. well no one told me that was the plan and I worked 10 hours to give me my damn comp time! :evil:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:34 pm

At the end of the day, it's just smart. What kind of gimp **** wants to risk a) an outage over a holiday where you likely have a shortened bench, or b) pissing everyone off, possibly taking them away from their families during the holidays?
Absolutely. This is the one time of the year where it seems everyone at least has the same understanding, and it's always "let's wait until we come back."

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:37 pm

Yeah we have no releases at all this month, basically after Thanksgiving any sort of production pushes (outside of if something breaks) halt.

Everyone takes vacation in December and it's basically cruise control until after the new year.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:38 pm

This.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Absolutely. This is the one time of the year where it seems everyone at least has the same understanding, and it's always "let's wait until we come back."
Also this.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:29 am

Buddy of mine got laid off yesterday after 7 years of service at his now former employer. Severance package was pay through the end of the month and health insurance through January. The company is admittedly on death’s door, but are you **** kidding me? Shitcanned a week before Christmas and given two weeks pay after 7 years? Employers are the worst.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:35 am

Source of the post Shitcanned a week before Christmas
That's like adding insult to injury right there. Horrible.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 am

Buddy of mine got laid off yesterday after 7 years of service at his now former employer. Severance package was pay through the end of the month and health insurance through January. The company is admittedly on death’s door, but are you **** kidding me? Shitcanned a week before Christmas and given two weeks pay after 7 years? Employers are the worst.
Just another harsh reminder that no person should ever feel bad about taking time for themselves, showing a lack of loyalty, etc.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:51 am

Source of the post Just another harsh reminder that no person should ever feel bad about taking time for themselves, showing a lack of loyalty, etc.
There truly is a generational gap there. I've shown my disdain for our company in front of some old timers at my place, and one of them chewed into me (more specifically my generation) about the lack of loyalty anymore. Door swings both ways, lady.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:56 am

Why should I show loyalty to a company that has gone through restructure after restructure losing 15-30 employees each time? I've been at this place 6 years and just recently went through my 5th restructure. I'm always looking for a better opportunity. If you're not always looking, you're doing it wrong.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:57 am

Source of the post Just another harsh reminder that no person should ever feel bad about taking time for themselves, showing a lack of loyalty, etc.
There truly is a generational gap there. I've shown my disdain for our company in front of some old timers at my place, and one of them chewed into me (more specifically my generation) about the lack of loyalty anymore. Door swings both ways, lady.
There is a massive mental block held by boomers and older. The occupational environment at all levels is a different world than what they experienced in their professional careers. That so many have just absorbed the corporate viewpoint due to competition or whatever, has landed us here.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:05 am

Why should I show loyalty to a company that has gone through restructure after restructure losing 15-30 employees each time? I've been at this place 6 years and just recently went through my 5th restructure. I'm always looking for a better opportunity. If you're not always looking, you're doing it wrong.
Don't agree 100%. I cannot stand my company at the corporate level, but changing jobs is hardly something I think about. Enjoy the work and the people I work with too much. Pay is decent enough, even if I'm most likely underpaid.

It's not like changing companies is going to find me at some place where they are handing out gym bags full of money every pay period. And if they are, it's usually at the expense of spending way too much time working, and the life balance is thrown off. No thanks.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:08 am

No, but in most cases you're only going to get a substantial bump from moving companies/jobs. I'm not saying I'm putting in for every single position that I see, but I've never unsubbed from my job search sites, I check out LinkedIn listings, and I read job descriptions to see if it's something I'd be interested in. I'm not going on an interview every week, but I'm also not oblivious to the current job market and just enjoying my time at my current position. I keep my resume updated and my portfolio is ready to go when I need it in case something comes up.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:22 am

No, but in most cases you're only going to get a substantial bump from moving companies/jobs. I'm not saying I'm putting in for every single position that I see, but I've never unsubbed from my job search sites, I check out LinkedIn listings, and I read job descriptions to see if it's something I'd be interested in. I'm not going on an interview every week, but I'm also not oblivious to the current job market and just enjoying my time at my current position. I keep my resume updated and my portfolio is ready to go when I need it in case something comes up.
Yeah, pretty much the same for me. Haven't done a LinkedIn search in a while and haven't updated my resume in over a year. Just wanted to say there's more to a job than just the pay.

In my 20 years of being a professional, only once did I get an unexpected promotion/bump in pay beyond the typical keep-up-with-inflation raise. And have never received a less than "above average" review at year's end.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:08 pm

There is a massive mental block held by boomers and older. The occupational environment at all levels is a different world than what they experienced in their professional careers. That so many have just absorbed the corporate viewpoint due to competition or whatever, has landed us here.
Partly generational but also has to do with the golden handcuffs. I have 18 years in and I can’t start a new job with nearly the salary and bonus I have now, let alone the PTO or just general background in the operation of the business. I am damn skippy going to walk the line at this point and not give anyone excuses to want me gone. If I get restructured I’ll take the month and a half per year plus PTO bank payout and hope to come out ahead.

Doesn’t mean I don’t complain but I’m definitely aware of the audience when I do.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:42 pm

Our virtual holiday party was today. I didn’t attend because I had to work through lunch, and quite honestly, figured it would be lame. I was correct. A buddy of mine did attend and said it was basically just a town hall, where our incompetent leader went over the department’s accomplishments. Heard a few others mention something similar.

IMO, holiday parties should not be like this, ever. People want to relax and chat with others, and just get away from work for a bit, not sit and listen to somebody go over a PowerPoint presentation.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:25 pm

Partly generational but also has to do with the golden handcuffs. I have 18 years in and I can’t start a new job with nearly the salary and bonus I have now, let alone the PTO or just general background in the operation of the business. I am damn skippy going to walk the line at this point and not give anyone excuses to want me gone. If I get restructured I’ll take the month and a half per year plus PTO bank payout and hope to come out ahead.

Doesn’t mean I don’t complain but I’m definitely aware of the audience when I do.
I'm with ya on that one. When I was possibly looking at the ax back in the summer, this was a giant concern. Being in one place for 16 years, I'm likely not going to find anything in my field that has comparable benefits...the salary, maybe. I'm not starting a new career with my current salary as a base price. So I've been a big believer in loyalty over the years but the last five or so years, that feeling has eroded greatly. Nowadays, I think the only loyalty spots are military jobs and civil service government (non-appointed) jobs. Not saying that you have a job for life if you snag one but if you're good at what you do, you can probably stay there for as long as you like.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:43 pm

Our virtual holiday party was today. I didn’t attend because I had to work through lunch, and quite honestly, figured it would be lame. I was correct. A buddy of mine did attend and said it was basically just a town hall, where our incompetent leader went over the department’s accomplishments. Heard a few others mention something similar.

IMO, holiday parties should not be like this, ever. People want to relax and chat with others, and just get away from work for a bit, not sit and listen to somebody go over a PowerPoint presentation.
Ours was yesterday, we all had a couple drinks and good conversation. Very little shop talk. Good times.

But I like my co workers.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:45 pm

I’m as loyal a person as there is, but I’ll jump ship at a better opportunity without batting an eye. That said, my job is so niche that I would 100% have to relocate my family. That ain’t happening.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:47 pm

Ours was yesterday, we all had a couple drinks and good conversation. Very little shop talk. Good times.

But I like my co workers.
That’s all we wanted, too. We all like each other, even across departments. It’s two people who lost generally dislike, because they are the source of most problems. One of them was the one hosting the ‘party’.

My team was thanked for our tireless efforts on our O365 project, but not a single person on our team was actually in attendance. :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:47 pm

We had a zoom Christmas party trivia competition and happy hour. I won and am also tanked.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:51 pm

See? Everyone else is doing it right.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Our office sucks and most people don't like each other so we didn't do anything

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:08 pm

I knew I could count on you to cheer me up.