Job and General Employment Thread

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:32 am

Some fun news... my wife has been on a year to year contract at Penn State for the last 4 years or so. Recently a permanent position opened up, and she got the job. Not only is it job security (well, she was secure... she's a rock star there for her ability to teach chemistry across all levels), but it's a very healthy raise in salary. We're stoked.
Between that and the house stuff things seem to be going good for you both! :thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am

Way to go, Countess2Infinity :thumb:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 am

Some fun news... my wife has been on a year to year contract at Penn State for the last 4 years or so. Recently a permanent position opened up, and she got the job. Not only is it job security (well, she was secure... she's a rock star there for her ability to teach chemistry across all levels), but it's a very healthy raise in salary. We're stoked.
Between that and the house stuff things seem to be going good for you both! :thumb:
Yeah. If it weren't for this whole coronavirus thing, we'd be having a good time!

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 am

He was one of three people on the interview, yeah.

He asked a question that I thought I answered half decently at worst. Then he said "let me rephrase the question" after I completed my 2 minute answer... So like he said "no dumbass, that's not what I was asking".
He actually said that?
Yeah lol. I didn't know what to think other than "well OK I guess that's not the answer".

He was an SA and I am interviewing to be a BA. So it was just odd.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:18 am

Old people setting up conference calls should be outlawed. They should also take a deep breath before trying to respond to someone as they may not be done talking just yet.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 am

Yeah. If it weren't for this whole coronavirus thing, we'd be having a good time!
Is it tenure track?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 am

Oh god we had a call this morning for the department (again, half are tech illiterate).

Took 15 out of the 30 minutes to wait for high pitched screeching and explosion noises to go away because people didn't understand how to call into Skype.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am

Is it tenure track?
No, this position doesn't have tenure potential, but it does have promotion potential where her last job did not.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:51 am

So I've had less e-mails than ever with WFH, seems nobody is quick to respond or anything anymore. I've moved countless meetings when the kid is awake, etc.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 am

See for us it seems like people are more productive at home. People respond quickly, people are always available via Slack or Teams or whatever.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 am

Yea, the IM communication is there - I feel way more productive in actually getting meetings together and things figured out. Weird being DEV side - you couldn't trust these people in the office, and now there's almost no visibility into what's happening now.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Despite being in virtual training for a new library system this week ( @columbia ), I've been extremely productive this week and last working from home.

Not having to deal with the mundane, moronic parts of my job - facilities management, circulation desk duty because we are chronically understaffed - has been great. Makes me actually enjoy my job and not get bogged down in stupid **** that someone of my rank, expertise, and seniority should take no part in.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Well the job I was contacted about and interview for is "going in another direction for the role".

I'm kinda pissed, because I was a perfect fit for it. The only thing I can even think of is since travel is going down they don't need 3 people for it.

And to top it all off my boss called me within 10 minutes of me finding out and piled some more **** on my plate. At this point I'm doing more work for other people than I am doing my actual f**king job.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:38 pm

So you're saying you're Riikola looking to get traded, but the deadline passes and you find out your paired with Jack Johnson in tonight's game...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Let's just say I missed out on a 25% pay bump for what was likely a less stressful job.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Trying to revamp my resume, and this is just the worst. I hate talking about myself and am very bad at highlighting achievements, but here I am attempting to do that is 2 pages.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:49 pm

With all of our dental practices closed, I am now one of 34 (out of over 700) employees at my organization that is not furloughed. The VP called me today and asked me to go pick up the mail next week at our offices in Reading, Harrisburg, and Mechanicsburg.

I'll do what I have to do :lol: TBH a few quiet hours in the car listening to a podcast sounds pretty nice right about now.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Better get some documentation if those areas are restricting travel...

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Trying to revamp my resume, and this is just the worst. I hate talking about myself and am very bad at highlighting achievements, but here I am attempting to do that is 2 pages.
Make sure to highlight you have over 2K posts on FAF.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 pm

It’s the absolute worst. Half-assedly revamped mine over the weekend. Probably just gonna hire a resume writer.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm with you. I was always raised to be humble and not brag and yada yada and as a result it's pretty uncomfortable telling anyone how great I am at anything

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Interviews: Solo or panel? I prefer panel, all day every day.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Solo is creepy af, for both parties involved

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 pm

I've never done a panel interview. I honestly would be more uncomfortable with that. Solo you can just have a conversation and it feels more natural.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 pm

It’s the absolute worst. Half-assedly revamped mine over the weekend. Probably just gonna hire a resume writer.
I've thought about a resume writer, but all the stuff advertised looks like ****. And like I am going to get the exact same resume as one of their other clients