Job and General Employment Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:38 am

A local community college has invited me to a luncheon today to join one of their advisory boards for their healthcare program. Apparently it is a part of the accreditation process. I can schmooze and network with the best of them, and I'm wearing a suit, but beyond that....ihavenoideawhatimdoing.gif.
I always struggle with the right balance of honesty and "fake it till you make it" with my career. The latter is just so god damn stressful, but you can't argue with results.
Yuuuup.

My current job is the first one I propelled myself into where I wasn't completely comfortable. I'm just now getting there but one side effect is that I'm not a bit gun shy about the idea of doing it again. I don't even look at job announcements for the next step. It's just too unnerving. The next logical step, if I stay in this office, is the Ops Officer position which might come open in a few years since they same guy has been doing it for the last three decades and he has to retire/die eventually.

I figure in another year or so I'll achieve a level of mastery that will lead to boredom and a desire to advance.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 am

Anyone doing sales of any kind will outright lie/exaggerate... It's a fact of life.

What bothers me is if they do it in a setting where they effectively throw you under the bus when you have nothing to show/say to back uo their bs.

Had an entire day of presentations basically nullified 20 minutes in one time when a salesman asked us to show a module that didn't exist and we were not prepared to bs our way through.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:12 am

Anyone doing sales of any kind will outright lie/exaggerate... It's a fact of life.

What bothers me is if they do it in a setting where they effectively throw you under the bus when you have nothing to show/say to back uo their bs.

Had an entire day of presentations basically nullified 20 minutes in one time when a salesman asked us to show a module that didn't exist and we were not prepared to bs our way through.
as someone who has to sell, but whose compensation isn't dependent on it, my favorite thing is when i slay a presentation that's chock full of exaggeration and we end up not being selected. it means i get brownie points for a job well done and i don't have to scramble and pull my non-existent hair out to deliver what was represented.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:03 pm

The next logical step, if I stay in this office, is the Ops Officer position which might come open in a few years since they same guy has been doing it for the last three decades and he has to retire/die eventually.
This is why the #2 guy on my team left for Facebook a few months ago. He had been here 15 years, but our boss has technically been at PlayStation longer than PlayStation has been here. There was no place for him to advance within the organization.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:11 pm

It's really odd, but there isn't anywhere logical for me to get promoted to here. I could theoretically go up to a VP or Dean position, but such a position doesn't exist (yet). So...22 more years at the same job/title? :cry:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Source of the post 22 more years at the same job/title? :cry:
Is that a bad thing, though? If I could ride my current position until retirement, I'd be perfectly fine.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:21 pm

I work in a field that has a sufficiently diverse set of issues that we deal with that it's exceedingly rare that any two consecutive days are the same. So without changing title, I could see myself in the exact same role in five years, but dealing with a completely different set of challenges.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Well, in FedGov our pay scale is a non-linear ladder with 10 steps. The first 4 steps are annual, then after that it's every two years. If I don't advance to the next grade (not step) in the next few years my pay increases slow down.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern anyway because my wife and I are both trying to finish doctorates by 2020.

2020 will be a big year. I'll either find a law job, go back into the military, or stay in my current position and move to Europe.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Your hair is already in full Euro form at least.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:34 pm

It must be migrating as it has been accused of being Asian at a prior time.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 pm

So in three years, you could be back in the Marines? How does that work? You don't have to do basic and all that again, do you? If so, I'll visit you at PI. :lol: Maybe columbia could come up from Savannah.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:50 pm

I can do at least 3 pushups.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:21 pm

So in three years, you could be back in the Marines? How does that work? You don't have to do basic and all that again, do you? If so, I'll visit you at PI. :lol: Maybe columbia could come up from Savannah.
I can't go back to the Marines, I'll have aged out and I suck balls at pull-ups anyway. Officers train in Quantico anyway, PI is for enlisted men and women.

I'll still be age eligible for the Army. Six weeks of Direct Commission Officer school, then 10 weeks of JAG school. By then I'd be a Captain and my ~6 years of Marine time would put me near the middle of the pay chart.

I am also still eligible for the Coast Guard, which would be a dream opportunity, but they literally only take in about 6 attorneys a year and they recruit by specialty. This year they were looking for lawyers with a cyber background. With any luck that will come up again in 2020.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Yeah, they usually bring in a outside member of the community to sit on these accreditation panels. It's usually a free meal or three, good for your CV. Shouldn't be a lot of heavy lifting for you, except for the free continental breakfast before the meetings begin. :lol:
This.....this was damned accurate :lol: Except it was lunch, not dinner. @shmenguin, I totally get what you are talking about. I know a lot about recruitment and HR, but there are still times where I feel like I don't belong. Thankfully, I've always had a gift for oratory and bolstering my own credentials. I frequently Google stuff at work related to my field and then bring it into a convo with my boss...it works wonders.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Source of the post 10 weeks of JAG school

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

Received notification that I've achieved tenure at work. It's automatic after three years so it's not an accomplishment or anything, but it's a really nice thing to have. We're already pretty difficult to fire to begin with. But having tenure means that if I leave for any amount of time I can be reinstated non-competitively which is a nice tool to have in your career toolkit. If I do, for some reason, try my hand a private sector law and don't like it I can come crawling back to the feds and my job is pretty much guaranteed.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 am

Well they need someone to teach JAG school.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 am

A woman on a conference call with about 30 people just said, “and that’s something that I call a many-to-many join.”

Oh really? You invented that term, did ya?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:53 am

Are you saying that because she's a hwoman she couldn't have invented it...? For shame, meow...

meow

Postby meow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

Her emphasize of the I was most peculiar

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 am

A woman on a conference call with about 30 people just said, “and that’s something that I call a many-to-many join.”

Oh really? You invented that term, did ya?
what are those words in that order

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:04 am

No idea. Butt stuff?

meow

Postby meow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 am

It’s how stiddies are spread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:24 am

Got my yearly performance review back today... most in the high 4's out of 5. Looks like a decent raise coming my way (or at least I hope...)

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am

Got my yearly performance review back today... most in the high 4's out of 5. Looks like a decent raise coming my way (or at least I hope...)
"You are good at the science. You are adequate at the pipettes. Also, petri dish. We call you the "Chemical Knower." 5/7, would hire you for science again."