Job and General Employment Thread

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:35 pm

@shafnutz05 do you have advice on what to say when you resign and want to say as little as possible? Walk into the boss's office, shut the door and say..........?
Middle finger and walk out.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Stone Cold Stunner. Middle Finger. Drink two beers.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:41 pm

I love you guys but you are NO HELP

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Stone Cold Stunner. Middle Finger. Drink two beers.
Hah...my mind was thinking Stone Cold.

@mamaemeritus, in my experience, you are best off sticking to as little detail as possible.

"I was offered a great opportunity that I couldn't refuse, so I wanted to be sure to give you 2 (or 3) weeks notice that I would be leaving the organization. Thank you so much for the opportunity, it has been a pleasure working with you, etc." Very straightforward.

Now, most important piece of advice

NEVER TAKE COUNTER-OFFERS. EVER!!!

NEVER. Things will never be the same at your current employer, and you have permanently tainted yourself at that organization, unfairly or not. Never, ever waver on your decision to leave, if you have gotten far enough to accept an offer somewhere else you should be 100% set in your conviction to leave.

But yes, keep the convo vague. I talk to way too many candidates that can't resist shtting on their former employer, or talking badly about their current one. There is absolutely zero reason to give them anything beyond the courtesy 2-3 weeks.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

do you have advice on what to say when you resign and want to say as little as possible? Walk into the boss's office, shut the door and say..........?

Type up your letter, put it on their desks 5 minutes before you leave, and run away.

:slug:

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Type up your letter, put it on their desks 5 minutes before you leave, and run away.

:slug:
I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but the guy before me put his laptop and badge in the boss's inbox and was never seen again.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Hire a high school band. Haha.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks @shafnutz05 - that's helpful (unlike the rest of yous) :lol:

There is zero chance of accepting a counteroffer, and I doubt I'll get one. Apparently that SOP here - you resign, they wish you well. No matter who you are.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Hire a high school band. Haha.
:lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:07 pm

I took an old job’s counter offer and proceeded to remain there for nearly a decade.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:39 pm

I was just told by an old college buddy that he is uncomfortable referring me for a Microsoft job because he has never worked with me, and Microsoft prefers that you have worked with them to refer that person. Wtf? Never heard of that before.

I was a reference for this guy to get his previous job. What an ass.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:15 am

I was just told by an old college buddy that he is uncomfortable referring me for a Microsoft job because he has never worked with me, and Microsoft prefers that you have worked with them to refer that person. Wtf? Never heard of that before.

I was a reference for this guy to get his previous job. What an ass.
The only time I would say this to someone is if I was worried said person would embarrass me/ruin my credibility if they came to my company. Obviously don't think it's the case with your friend, that's not cool.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:29 pm

It depends on the type of reference being sought. If it's a work reference, I wouldn't stand for someone I never actually worked closely with. If it's a personal reference, I wouldn't recommend you, either, grunts.

:wink:

Honestly, if you're seeking a personal reference that's kind of a dick move on his part.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:41 pm

It depends on the type of reference being sought. If it's a work reference, I wouldn't stand for someone I never actually worked closely with. If it's a personal reference, I wouldn't recommend you, either, grunts.

:wink:

Honestly, if you're seeking a personal reference that's kind of a dick move on his part.
I was seeking a personal reference and/or referral. He knows me well enough, at least I thought. Lol. We studied and worked together on group projects for engineering throughout college together.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:34 am

Confession: I put an IT request in after my new computer felt sluggish, mostly noticeable while typing where there was a fairly substantial input lag. It's a new iMac Pro which cost around 8k, so I was damn annoyed when that was already having issues. IT's response: please check your keyboard battery level. Right as I read that response, I got a notification saying the battery is low and needs to be plugged in immediately. Sure enough, that's all it was. :face:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 am

Understandable if you put the request in this morning. Mondays get a pass.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

Understandable if you put the request in this morning. Mondays get a pass.
Something tells me the IT folks don't share your sentiment. I know we have a few users on here who that work. I'm sorry I was THAT person today who emails the Helpdesk in a huff without doing any sort of troubleshooting.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:54 am

You lost me at 'keyboard battery.' #HardwiredForLife

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:57 am

Apple needs to use wireless keyboards so they have a reason to sell you a tether and make more money off you.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:25 am

You lost me at 'keyboard battery.' #HardwiredForLife
The old MacPro was hardwired. This guy came with bluetooth mouse + keyboard. Oh and the mouse is one of those that can't be used while charging. Image

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:55 am

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Confession: I put an IT request in after my new computer felt sluggish, mostly noticeable while typing where there was a fairly substantial input lag. It's a new iMac Pro which cost around 8k, so I was damn annoyed when that was already having issues. IT's response: please check your keyboard battery level. Right as I read that response, I got a notification saying the battery is low and needs to be plugged in immediately. Sure enough, that's all it was. :face:
We get the ones that look like "kyboad isn't wokng plass hlp" like it's a ransom message.

I call down and first thing I ask "you have a wireless keyboard, don't you?"
"Yeah, how did you know?"
"I guarantee it's your batteries."

All but one time it was batteries. The one random instance was the keyboard failing. I still think something was spilled in it but I can't prove it.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:45 pm

This just happened today:

11AM - 12:15 PM: I'm in a meeting with my boss and another coworker
11:20AM: an email goes out from a sister division regarding a manufacturing error (I'm in engineering, so no real ties here)
11:37AM: Quality department person (let's call him Toby Flenderson) calls my cell while I'm in the meeting. I don't answer
12:07 PM: Toby calls my desk
12:17 PM: Toby emails the world his solution to the problem
12:19 - 12:37: emails fly back and forth. Toby throws me under the bus for not answering my phone
12:38: Toby calls my desk
12:42: Toby calls my cell
12:46: My boss calls me and asks wtf is going on with Toby and his flaming underpants
12:50: Toby sends email throwing me under the bus again
12:53: Boss sends email stating I'm taking care of it so calm the f down
1:02: Boss calls and says there's nothing for me to do since Toby already used his "powers" to give the field the OK. Sends an email stating such and says we will stand down until anything is really needed.

Not to mention I am trying to take a lunch after the meeting, and keep getting interrupted by another coworker, so I have no time for this BS.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Try doing your job. Obviously.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:45 am

I'm off work tomorrow for the National Day of Mourning. Not sure whether to thank Bush or Trump, so, thanks Obama!