Job and General Employment Thread

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 am

60sixx this week:

In other news, someone just used a ;) in a professional email. I'm told I'm very "formal" in my emails as a graduate student, but I would rather that than using emojis in a professional setting. Dear lord.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am

I've had people use haha and lol in emails to me, customers and coworkers. I don't care for it.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:29 am

60sixx for you sake I hope they can him, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy these updates. They are almost completely unbelievable.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't mildly amused too. But when I got the "let's put a list together of items you can give Stan to finish your work" line yesterday - KABOOM.

I hope he gets canned too. I don't want to see anyone lose their job, but I also think it's BS to keep someone on who is so patently unqualified.
In this case it seems more like they'd be being removed from a job they didn't deserve rather than losing it. Diversity is great but not when it supersedes being about to perform the tasks.
What people have been talking about in this thread is the worst type of diversity hiring and leads to the response "Diversity is great but [insert comment]" which ends up with less drive for a more diverse workplace and lots of frustration. It's the same as nepotism. The key to a diverse workplace is not shoe-horning in whatever woman or POC that applies. It is about widening your search and ensuring that quality candidates from all backgrounds are finding your job posting. Often the way you write a job posting or how you advertise has the biggest effect. When people say "oh well, only men applied", a key part of that can even just be how you word the job posting. Which is opposite of "oh yay, a woman applied, hire her!" without really taking a look at qualifications.

Anyway I could talk at length about this at some point if anyone is interested.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 am

I've had people use haha and lol in emails to me, customers and coworkers. I don't care for it.

Someone used the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ in a report once and I'm disappointed I didn't write the number of the report down, because I laughed my ass off that someone actually used it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 am

Someone used the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ in a report once and I'm disappointed I didn't write the number of the report down, because I laughed my ass off that someone actually used it.
Didn't know you worked with meow

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 am

I do use haha in work emails, but never lol. Generally, because lol is a big lie. If there was as much lol'ing going on as people say there is, it would be madness.

lol.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:59 am

But do you use lmaooooooooooooooooooo?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm

roflmfao

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Welp, I rounded out the day by re-writing Stan's letter to the state agency. His letter was double spaced from top to bottom (including addressed), and was grammatically and factually incorrect. Not to mention lacking specific detail.

I walked him over to the fax machine, explained what it was, and showed him how to do it--NAY, did it FOR him. He was kind enough to walk back over to get his confirmation page; however, as soon as he did, he thought it would be best to bring the file back over to me as he was clearly "done." News to him that the file is going to sit on HIS desk until it's fully resolved.

I ended up working 2 hours of OT today - in which I walked past his desk several times. He has three screens up (two monitors, plus his laptop), two of which have the dictator looking guy on them and the third has Excel up. No worksheet, just blank Excel. (I guess that makes it look like you're working?) I was the last of the regulars to leave, I sat in my car a few minutes to text Metz that I was leaving and check the traffic. At which point Stan comes out, sees me, and just stands at the door. Won't walk to his car. Only when I pulled out of the lot did he start moving. Is he doing that weird "I look good if I'm the last to leave" thing? F off.

Days/weeks like this one make me wish I drank. :face:

Thanks for letting me get my aggressions out this week, fellow 5AF'ers.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Ya know what would help get your aggressions out better...? Killing him. Kill that person. We will rally behind you. I'm practically a cop, tif's practically a lawyer, dodint's here...this is gonna be easier than the OJ case...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 pm

I own property near some woods. Just sayin'.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 pm

See!

We're all chippin' in...wood chippin' in...wink.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:00 pm

You guys are mean. What if Stan is reading 5af?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Run.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the much needed laughs. You really can't make this sh*t up.

The most discouraging part? We're hitting a crucial deadline next week. Boss is scrambling to figure out how many hours we have to work next week vs. manpower. Coworker told him not to factor Stan into available hours. He asks why. To which she replies that for every hour he would be available, you'd have to subtract that hour from someone else because of his needing to be babysat.

Boss's response? "Okay."

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Call me petty...but I'd back that co-worker...pile on, he is beyond useless...if you're not gonna kill him, at least bury him...

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 pm

60 is just jealous of Stan bc Stan saved the company 150k

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm

60 is just jealous of Stan bc Stan saved the company 150k
I actually guffawed at that, KTK!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:17 am

To mikey's point, 60sixx, if you come up with a sweet catchphrase - you know, 'after' - that you want to trademark, I can totally handle the filing for you.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:22 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the much needed laughs. You really can't make this sh*t up.

The most discouraging part? We're hitting a crucial deadline next week. Boss is scrambling to figure out how many hours we have to work next week vs. manpower. Coworker told him not to factor Stan into available hours. He asks why. To which she replies that for every hour he would be available, you'd have to subtract that hour from someone else because of his needing to be babysat.

Boss's response? "Okay."
I found a picture of your boss:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 am

Whatever salary your boss is pulling, it is way way way too much. You rise to the level of your incompetency, but it sounds like your boss blew right through that ceiling.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:30 am

And we're starting the week off hot here.

Last week, as I mentioned, boss is now pushing us to meet a deadline by the end of this week. On Friday, he scheduled 2 meetings for this week, one of which was at 8:30am today.

We file into the meeting, and one person is conspicuously absent, of course Stan. No one says anything, boss notices right away. Coworker simply says "he's not here." Boss asks, "Did he call or text anyone?" Nope. "Was he going to see his wife in Cleveland this weekend?" No, his wife was coming here. Boss says, "okay" and continues meeting. Telling us how important the week is, need to meet deadline, push push push. As we are exiting the meeting, he tells coworker that if she hasn't heard from him by 9:30, to let him know.

[Now, I must interject here - to remind everyone that there are 2 other people in the department with the same ethnic background as Stan. One in the immediate group (let's call her Helen), one in the other group that is technically under our umbrella but we don't deal with, let's call her Karen.)]

About 5 minutes after we come out of the meeting, Karen comes over to our area to talk to coworker. "Uh, yes, did Stan text you this morning?" No. "Oh, he said he texted you this morning. Uh, he texted me earlier to say he won't be in today, his wife was in the ER all night." It was PAINFULLY obvious that the minute we got out of the meeting, Helen talked to Karen who came up with the story. My coworker gave him her number twice, and wrote it down for him. She received no text. It's clear that the "club members" are covering for each other. And boss doesn't give a F.

There's even more here I could type, but - I gotta go meet that deadline. :|

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:33 am

This might sound crazy, but shouldn't Stan let his boss know and not a coworker?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:37 am

I'd be going to your boss's boss at this point. That's absurd.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Boss's boss is some uber high up that's in another state that I've never met. Boss has been here over 20 years, so he's not going anywhere.

Stan texted coworker because she's his supervisor until his official supervisor gets back from maternity leave.

He did text coworker a little bit ago in broken English saying his wife is "emotional." Not sure what that means.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.