Job and General Employment Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:00 pm

I know someone who quit a studio job while their boss was at lunch via a Post-It note on their monitor.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:39 am

The worst thing to see after going through the hiring process with someone, extending an offer, and initiating onboarding and background checks:

"A RECORD EXISTS FOR THIS PERSON"

Why can't people keep their damn hands clean?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:07 am

When I did the hiring process at one of my previous employers I sent around 30 people in total and neither the drug test nor background check came back bad.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:14 am

Maybe you need to get with mikey on your talent evaluating talents shad.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:16 am

Last day of work here after 15 years. Its the only job I've held as an adult basically.
To celebrate, I took my kids orange hair dye and spiked my half balding head. If you can't have a little fun on your last day...

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 am

The worst thing to see after going through the hiring process with someone, extending an offer, and initiating onboarding and background checks:

There's no reason why that statement should absolutely disqualify someone from a position. If you like the candidate enough to make an offer, and the person has changed since this "record" was entered, they are worth the 2nd chance.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 pm

There's no reason why that statement should absolutely disqualify someone from a position. If you like the candidate enough to make an offer, and the person has changed since this "record" was entered, they are worth the 2nd chance.
What’s on your record, there Gabe??

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:28 pm

There's also a chance that the 'record' is not for the person being screened. I've twice had hits on background checks that were for a different Tif (as in, for things that happened in states where I've never actually set foot, much less done the thing on the report).

It is also against the law in SF to use arrest or prison records that meet certain qualifications in evaluating a candidate. Like, if a conviction is more than seven years old, it sorta doesn't exist (unless the position in question involves supervising childrens).

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:57 pm

... why would you run the background check post-hiring?

I know there are some anti-discrimination laws depending on what pops up in the search, but why wouldn't you have done your due diligence prior to extending the offer?

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Haha. nothin that I know of. :)

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Haha. nothin that I know of. :)
Ehhhh, don’t call us. We’ll call you.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I know there are some anti-discrimination laws depending on what pops up in the search, but why wouldn't you have done your due diligence prior to extending the offer?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 pm

:lol:

Several reasons.

a) It would be obscenely expensive. We have to run more checks than most employers because of the field we are in. I've never worked for a company that does that FWIW. Not to mention it would drag out the hiring process multiple weeks, causing candidates to fall off or accept jobs elsewhere. Better to get the signed offer and THEN make them wait a few weeks to start, especially considering you can do that during their notice period at their current employer if they are working.

b) While most states allow it, some don't and there has been a big focus on that lately (think Block the Box)

c) There is really no reason to. The worst-case scenario if a background check comes back with a barrier crime is that we rescind their offer before they start. Simple as that...why would we run a background for every single candidate that we want to offer to?

Gabe, to answer your question, it certainly doesn't disqualify someone. And the crime that came up on this one did not disqualify that person.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Also, a background check requires sharing of some personal information from the candidate that they may not want to divulge absent a firm offer. (Namely SSN)

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:55 pm

:lol:

Several reasons.

a) It would be obscenely expensive. We have to run more checks than most employers because of the field we are in. I've never worked for a company that does that FWIW. Not to mention it would drag out the hiring process multiple weeks, causing candidates to fall off or accept jobs elsewhere. Better to get the signed offer and THEN make them wait a few weeks to start, especially considering you can do that during their notice period at their current employer if they are working.

b) While most states allow it, some don't and there has been a big focus on that lately (think Block the Box)

c) There is really no reason to. The worst-case scenario if a background check comes back with a barrier crime is that we rescind their offer before they start. Simple as that...why would we run a background for every single candidate that we want to offer to?

Gabe, to answer your question, it certainly doesn't disqualify someone. And the crime that came up on this one did not disqualify that person.
Yep, I'm also an HR Sucker. There's no federal laws against pre-employment offer checks. It's just expensive to do so. But yes, the "ban the box" campaigns are becoming very effective. In a few years, you won't see the felony question on applications at all.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:35 pm

I was informed today that our summer intern identifies as “gender split or gender fluid” and when referring to this person in pronoun form, we should use “they” or “them.”

I’m going to try, but damn that’s going to be tough to refer to one person as multiple people.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Thoughts and prayers

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:03 pm

I was informed today that our summer intern identifies as “gender split or gender fluid” and when referring to this person in pronoun form, we should use “they” or “them.”

I’m going to try, but damn that’s going to be tough to refer to one person as multiple people.
God bless this great nation, amen.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Isn't "they" and "them" grammatically incorrect...?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Isn't "they" and "them" grammatically incorrect...?
Bigot

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:08 pm

I can just envision myself in a meeting with someone. "They is....are...going to work on this project for us. I told her...it...them thank you...thank them....thank all of you for the effort."

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:13 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:16 am

I'm absolutely not engaged with my work at all this week. Just can't kick it into gear. Going to and from KY this weekend probably didn't help things, but still, buhhhhhhhhhhh.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:50 am

Same. I'm not bothering snapping out of vacation mode...

Was out Thursday-Monday for Firefly...came in yesterday and today...leaving tomorrow coming back Tuesday for the draft...no reason to engage...just trying not to curse, that's about it...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Same, vacation is in less than a month now and I need it more than ever it seems. Having a hard time concentrating for a full day.