Job and General Employment Thread

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Power move, if you're expecting a VP who also uses a camera. All other times? Rookie move, because the whole camera thing is mega dumb.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 pm

How many hours a week of 'weekly recurring meetings' are yall in?

Like... im almost at 15 right now. And I'm so over it. I deliberately skip 3-4 hours of them.

I'm considered a 'practitioner' level. Individual contributor > Practitioner > Manager > director > so on

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:50 pm

i'm also at about 15 recurring meetings. some are 30 mins. i attend probably the same amount you do. if i have no speaking role, i generally skip.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 pm

I have been uninviting myself and/or getting uninvited because of my rather goofballish (albeit intentional) conduct...as such, I've sliced the number to roughly 2-3 hours a week. Much happier...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Yea, I've got a fair share of re-occurring meetings, I have a PM who likes to make a ridiculous amount of meetings, and I absolutely hate it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I'm at about 2-3 hours/week, myself.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:00 pm

The regulators criticized our change management program, so that added a couple hours each week that we have to listen in on irrelevant project manager calls.

Work just feels like an endless string of initiatives that all eventually fizzle out and become forgotten and make no permanent impact on the job.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Yea I'm right there with you TL.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Oh yeah, as a company we need to stop starting and start finishing. But don't tell upper management that.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:41 pm

lol, there's a printing issue with the system that went live this morning. I shall blame @Factorial.
I just received an email from an area manager upset that one of her people didn't get her commissions from rescheduled appointments, leading to a sale blah blah, "Something is wrong with the report because they rescheduled it." After a few looks at the appointment record I see they did not give themselves credit for the sale where they were supposed to. I like these kinds of tickets.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 am

Oh yeah, as a company we need to stop starting and start finishing. But don't tell upper management that.
What frustrates me about this, is that our company is tightening down and outsourcing dev jobs to Mexico and India. Seemingly only few American employees work with these teams, and the work isn't good. So they've cut our workforce here, made it cheaper and objectively worse there, but then come down on the US group when things slow to a crawl for delivery.

We have an entire team of 3 people running a major part of our website. We're a multi-BILLION dollar company, it's offensive to me that we can't help these people with their jobs.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Today, for the first time in my professional life, I had to give the "shape up or you're outta here" speech to an employee. Holy unpleasant. I was a nervous wreck about it, but I think I held it together ok.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Today, for the first time in my professional life, I had to give the "shape up or you're outta here" speech to an employee. Holy unpleasant. I was a nervous wreck about it, but I think I held it together ok.
It's just bidness. No need to be nervous about a situation they have likely put themselves in.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:56 pm

It wasn't their first time, so don't sweat it... :thumb:

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks, fellas. I know you're both right. Although I like to think I'm somewhat of a hardass, I really hate confrontation. Just do your dang job. My management style has always been "don't make me manage you." So - I hate if I actually have to manage.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:47 am

So, at my place of employment, we use those yellow envelopes for sending documents through company mail. There are little boxes on either side that say 'Name':, and 'Department:', yet there are subhumans out there who instead feel the need to right across the entire envelope with what I guess is an industrial permanent marker.

These people are designated for mikey's wheel.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 am

I'm always amused by the "buzzword soup" that I often see in the summary section at the top of the resume. This one made me smile today:
Strong organizational and communication skills with the ability to concurrently direct multiple business affairs. A multitude of versatile skills transfer into any administrative setting to create and maintain high levels of efficiency and productivity. Advanced understanding of customer needs with diligent attention to detail resulting in superior customer needs with diligent attention to detail resulting in superior customer service and high levels of client satisfaction

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am

Buzzword soup? That's milktoast.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am

I'm always amused by the "buzzword soup" that I often see in the summary section at the top of the resume. This one made me smile today:
Strong organizational and communication skills with the ability to concurrently direct multiple business affairs. A multitude of versatile skills transfer into any administrative setting to create and maintain high levels of efficiency and productivity. Advanced understanding of customer needs with diligent attention to detail resulting in superior customer needs with diligent attention to detail resulting in superior customer service and high levels of client satisfaction
Someone bought a thesaurus. Though the repetition annoyed me. "Multitude" used in back-to-back sentences. And that last sentence is a **** mess.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am

Did Barney Stinson write this? Surprised "possimpible" didn't show up.

How, as an adult, you don't realize that paragraph is a GD mess, not to mention a whole lot of NOTHING....beyond me.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:19 pm

i cuss all the time at work and I have no problem with the amount I swear at work. it is bad of me, but I would rather hear people swear all day then use a work like "hack" or "ninja" or any other buzzword

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Someone bought a thesaurus. Though the repetition annoyed me. "Multitude" used in back-to-back sentences. And that last sentence is a **** mess.
When I first read this, I was tuned out by the time I got to concurrently.

Even worse than the person going back-to-back with multitude, they went back-to-back in the same sentence with "diligent attention to detail resulting in..."

File 13 that **** thing. This person just gave you a long-winded statement saying they can multitask.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm

:lol:

Yeah, that last sentence is like someone typing out a stroke or a robot malfunctioning.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Source of the post This person just gave you a long-winded statement saying they can multitask.
Well they never mentioned they were efficient.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:25 pm

There are days I feel vastly overpaid at my job in this new role, I'm sure this will even out eventually, but yeah.