Job and General Employment Thread

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:17 am

I have to wear FR pants and occasionally throw on an FR shirt when we have medium voltage on.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Sounds like Shyster’s issue is that he views anything other than slacks, a shirt, and a tie as “sloppy”. I don’t think any of us are talking about walking into work looking like Shaggy.
I don't. There are some that push it a bit at my work, but again in all reality.... 99% of the people in my building are coders and developers who are only interacting with other teammates. Wearing a shirt and tie doesn't make me code better. I think there are certain professions where professional dress are expected.. the IT field(thankfully) is not one of those at least in most situations.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:58 pm

My current employer used to require a dress shirt, tie, and slacks. I turned down a job offer from them years ago for this reason alone (similar job, similar pay), but leadership changed their entire culture, and almost immediately begins drawing talent. The dress code was only a small portion of the change, but it still would have prevented me from taking the position that I currently hold.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:19 pm

What’s the value in it? Who decided that dressing “professionally” has any bearing on your performance?
People who can demonstrate professionalism in one area will generally exhibit professionalism in other areas. Conversely, people who express sloppiness or carelessness in one area are more likely to be sloppy or careless in other areas. Professional dress also shows respect to your employer and to your coworkers.
Oh boy that last part. Unless it’s a mom/pop organization your employer doesn’t give a rat’s ass about you. They don’t care that you’re well liked, dress nice, or really believe in the company. If cutting your role would make them more money that’s what they’ll do. They respect money and nothing else.

The only people I’ve ever heard that respect non-sense from is old fuddy-duddy teachers I used to work with that liked to say, “back in my day” and “kids these days” a lot.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:25 pm

One person in my department was turned down for tenure, which was the right call, but it was really awkward...because I was on the committee that voted against her tenure (although I recused myself from the vote, obviously). So I’ve known since early October, and had to keep it quiet until December. Lots of crying (not by me) etc.

What’s more awkward is that this person can finish the academic year, and then will be granted a “terminal contract” for one more year. It would be very strange working somewhere knowing that your colleagues don’t value you and your job has an expiration date. Of course, there is an appeals process and most people on these terminal contracts leave for other positions well before the end of the contract.
Well, this individual submitted her letter of resignation this morning. She again tried to blame me for her failure to get tenure, despite writing mostly positive evaluations of her. I shut that down pretty quickly. The committee structure wouldn't allow me to vote or speak too much about her performance, because I'm her supervisor and on that committee. It was weird, to be sure, but the right decision was made.

I'm back from a week's vacation, and this was the best possible news Monday-after-vacation I could've ever received. I wasn't looking forward to this dead weight for another year.

Now we see if we're allowed to fill the now vacant position...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Going back to bizarre applicant behavior.

I left a message for someone, just said to call me back and let me know when they are free for a phone interview.

In the next 35 minutes: six missed calls and TWO voicemails.

Who in their right fcking mind thinks it is socially acceptable to leave two voicemails within a 20 minute span? FFS.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:32 pm

What's your number Shaf?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Dress code

Most white collar jobs are repetitive, low-to-medium skilled and not super consequential. People should dress comfortably most days - however they define it (within reason). This idea of dressing to impress need to apply to some generic analyst/associate.

If there’s something important going on, or some other noteable occasion, sure. Fancy it up a little.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:02 pm

I wore brand new socks today, so there.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm

I wore brand new socks today, so there.
:lol:

Brand new pair of 501's today for me...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Re: Dress code

Most white collar jobs are repetitive, low-to-medium skilled and not super consequential. People should dress comfortably most days - however they define it (within reason). This idea of dressing to impress need to apply to some generic analyst/associate.

If there’s something important going on, or some other noteable occasion, sure. Fancy it up a little.
Yeah, ours is a “dress for your day” environment. Typical day? Casual. Off site for something business casual.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:02 am

A funny thing about dress code on a college campus: Most of my colleagues dress in business casual, except for our Physical Education and Sports Science faculty...they dress like gym teachers. :lol:

We had a religious organization visiting campus talking about homeless/hungry college students and thought one of our PE faculty was homeless, because he was dressed in a ratty tracksuit, unshaven, etc. :lol: A memo went out stating a more formal dress code for all faculty the next day. :lol: Can't embarrass a VP/Dean to an outside group...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am

Religion continuing its path of destruction...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:15 am

We went live with a new system today at around 8:30am. By 8:40am, my inbox had no fewer than five replies from director level people and above congratulating us on a successfully go-live. Perhaps give it more than 10 minutes to see how well it's going?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

We went live with a new system today at around 8:30am. By 8:40am, my inbox had no fewer than five replies from director level people and above congratulating us on a successfully go-live. Perhaps give it more than 10 minutes to see how well it's going?
:lol: that's typical.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 am

I'd prefer that to the "oh my god, it's broken" emails.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:52 am

I'd prefer that to the "oh my god, it's broken" emails.
I'm getting those now on a different project. It's not broken, it's just that they have to zoom out quite a bit to take a screenshot of the data so that they can paste it into another application. Anyone with a monitor smaller than 24" is pasting blurry text. I look at the screenshot, and no joke, 40% of the screen real estate is the application, with the report in the center. The report appears to be a PDF, so my suggestion was to simply open the damn report directly and then take the screenshot. Crickets since that e-mail.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:57 am

lol, there's a printing issue with the system that went live this morning. I shall blame @Factorial.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:09 am

Ayyy, Google Calendar is down nationwide due to a phishing attack. It's a damn shame I can't open the calendar invite to a webinar I was supposed to attend this morning.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 am

How does a phishing attack take down a webapp?

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 am

Dunno, but it does make things quieter.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 am

Speaking of my underling who didn't get tenure, she is leaving at the end of the month. Normally, when people leave under normal circumstances, I let them announce at a staff meeting. As it's the summer, we're not having staff meetings...and this isn't a normal situation. I've decided not to tell anyone, and let her tell whomever she needs/wants. As she barely talks to anyone else in our department, she probably won't tell anyone.

We also go out to lunch as a group, usually on the last day...but as I usually pay for the person that's leaving, that's not happening as she attempted to throw me under the bus (again).

The whole situation is really weird...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:43 am

Faculty are weird people.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 am

DG66 did you try the 5af first option of dealing with something bad at work and light her on fire?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 pm

i don't know how to read the people in a video chat of 12 guests who are the only ones with their camera on. power move or rookie move? it seems to oscillate.