Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:43 am

Don't interview her, and let the candidate dodge an obvious bullet.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:51 am

Hiring Manager - This is a really high priority position, we need candidates!

Also Hiring Manager - I don't like this perfectly qualified candidate because she is coming off of maternity leave and will probably need more time to "mom". Not interested.

I basically told her that was dumb (not to mention illegal) and to interview her.
:evil:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:05 pm

I might have mentioned it before but with FedGov embracing full remote for IT positions a ton of new opportunities have been flooding the market. Including non-supervisory high-level positions (I exists on a scale of 1-15, and I'm a 13. 14s and 15s without supervisory duties are like hens teeth.)

I was going to wait until next year to start putting my resume out there (I've only been a -13 for 16 months) but some of these are pretty tempting. One of them is with the US Courts, developing cyber and risk curriculum to teach to court staff. Really interesting crossover of my skillsets.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:28 pm

Also Hiring Manager - I don't like this perfectly qualified candidate because she is coming off of maternity leave and will probably need more time to "mom". Not interested.

I basically told her that was dumb (not to mention illegal) and to interview her.
The manager herself is a woman and a mom.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:35 pm

The manager herself is a woman and a mom.
:evil: :evil:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:41 pm

I can get the hesitancy to hire someone new that's 8 months pregnant. I don't like the idea that someone would do that. I think it's a total BS move, but I can understand it. They're going to work for a month and then go on materinity leave. Someone coming off maternity leave though? Seriously? Should send her the study showing millennial dads spend 3 times more time with their kids than previous generations. Not to mention the added housework that they do.

I'm not saying it's even steven, but millennials share the parenting more now than ever. That lady needs to educate herself.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:48 pm

Source of the post That lady needs to educate herself.
...by doing her research?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:51 pm

My company is starting to make some murmurs about requiring more in-person time.

But, just got a follow-up regarding our specific role, all team/client/project specific, so no impending change. The only thing they seem intent on addressing is commutable distance stuff, people that moved off the radar are going to have to move back near an office location.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:54 pm

Source of the post The only thing they seem intent on addressing is commutable distance stuff, people that moved off the radar are going to have to move back near an office location.
Were these people given approval before moving? If so, that's **** up if they're going to be required to move back.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 pm

Source of the post The only thing they seem intent on addressing is commutable distance stuff, people that moved off the radar are going to have to move back near an office location.
Were these people given approval before moving? If so, that's **** up if they're going to be required to move back.
Off the radar is probably a bad way to put it. The people impacted by this are campus hires that got hired at a hub city, but then moved back in with their parents after college, or do random stuff like, go rent a house in like maine with friends to live and work at.

This isn't people moving their families somewhere that will now have to move away.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:14 pm

Over Macho Grande?
I'm disappointed that some of you louts didn't continue this Airplane! joke.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:20 am

Waiting on the call for my interview, which means I have to answer every call on my cell phone. Naturally, I'm getting a lot of calls about my car's warranty being expired.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:39 pm

Lol, my wife sent me this text a few minutes ago. Makes me glad I don't go to a lot of "meetings".

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:37 am

I've spent the last two weeks hounding vendors for pricing on an auto door install that includes and electrician cutting a 6' trench in a concrete floor so that a bollard can be installed. Today I found out that there might not even be a ramp installed to access said auto door.

WTF is even the point.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:28 am

We're having a non-supervisor town hall with our CIO this morning. It's an hour-long 'Open Forum' for people to raise issues without having their supervisor around. It's attended by about 50 people.

The first 25 minutes were spent on ONE PERSON talking about how property books are managed.

GTFO out of here with that.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:30 am

Sounds like a trap.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:15 pm

Been in the office every day this week. Feels good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Did you suit up?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:02 pm

Not a full suit, but my usual outfit of dress pants, sport coat, dress shirt, and tie.

We actually relaxed our dress code, and I could even be wearing shorts if I wanted to, but I don't want to. Putting on the "lawyer uniform" is part of how I get in the mindset to work.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Not a full suit, but my usual outfit of dress pants, sport coat, dress shirt, and tie.

We actually relaxed our dress code, and I could even be wearing shorts if I wanted to, but I don't want to. Putting on the "lawyer uniform" is part of how I get in the mindset to work.
You went to work sans a vest? For shame.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:05 am

Company just announced a "2% base-salary inflationary adjustment" for all employees excluding executives. Never seen an across the board adjustment before. If only inflation was actually 2%.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:30 am

Lol, my wife sent me this text a few minutes ago. Makes me glad I don't go to a lot of "meetings".

I'm so glad I'm no longer at my old job. We had so many meetings that we would have meetings about planning for meetings. At one point, more than half of my work week and about 7 hrs of my Thursdays were nothing but meetings.

Most of our meetings were death by powerpoint where one person read the slide show and one person (which I'm still not sure what his actual role was) would ask at least one question per slide.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:55 am

Comcast is requiring their staff to come back to the office 3 days per week. This after being full time remote for 2.5 years. lol

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:20 am

I'd love to not give Comcast my money but they are the only player in town when it comes to reliable internet.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:05 pm

I'd love to not give Comcast my money but they are the only player in town when it comes to reliable internet.
We have paid them an arm and a leg over the last decade, but we've had great, fast reliable cable and internet the whole time. It's honestly an accepted cost at this point.